Search Unity

Alternative to DiffuseFast ? performs good , and doesn't look bad from afar, bad does so up close.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Reedex, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Reedex

Reedex

I have low end pc, which actually isn't bad over all it makes you think economically in the terms of performance, What goes 100 fps on mine, goes 250 on bro's PC.(and his pc cant even run gta 5 for example)
    So i have this scene with as many lights as player would want (even 20) if he wishes(you can think of it as a road with lights along the way). first i tried mobile diffuse that's obviously not an option for FPS PC game.
    Then i tried Diffuse Fast that really sped things up.(i definitely rather add more loop cuts to a model than run on 20 fps. Mind you i use 256x256 sometimes 512x512 and rarely if its building or something 1024x1024 textures without filter so you can think of like slightly nicer duke nukem 3d,Oh and there is only a plane with diffuse material.) But if have flashlight and go up close to a wall that's all messed up.
    With diffuse material everywhere and 1 ligtht 40 fps max.
    With diffuse material everywhere and 5 ligthts 20 fps max.
    With diffuse Fast material everywhere and 5 ligtht 50 fps max.(except terrain thats diff only)
    NO SHADOWS
    Is there a posibilty that only flashlight will act as a "diffuse material"?
    Could I tweak diffuse fast shader so it doubles or triples the faces it lights up ?
    :- )

2. mouurusai

mouurusai

If you have many light sources use deferred lighting chop your level geometry so that you not have same one object both inside and outside light source influence zone. Best performance wise solution it's baked lights.

3. Reedex

Reedex

i am sorry but what is that crossed out line use deffered lighting i don't understand.. : -)
    and is there a keyword to search for to find your influence zone tutorial ?
    (what should i look for?)

4. mouurusai

mouurusai

5. Reedex

Reedex

i am not sure what you want me to do, its like you say one thing , and low key you say other ... what do you want dude? and yeah i have the page already open : -)) hah
    But if set camera to deffered i have with 5 lights max 10 fps

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Reedex

Reedex

yeah so i checked it out and from what i gathered deferred is bad most of time if you dont have many lights. there wins forward.
    with many lights,which sometimes'll be the case its good...
    Isn't there a way just to smooth out the diffuse fast?