Search Unity

Feature Request Alternative Screen space ambient occlusion - Multi Scale Volumetric obscurance

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Nov 7, 2021.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

I know that the SSAO HDRP uses is what many engines use, including unreal engine, ground truth ambient occlusion.

But MSVO (which is in built-in) has a really different look. I assume it's because of how it tackles the ambient occlusion issue, my understanding is very limited but from what I understand it goes about it in a different way than the majority of SSAO methods. Volume approach

It can really give the scene a very different look.. sometimes much better and helps more with artistic goals.
    You can obviously increase or decrease the intensity as you'd like. Just look at the following:

MSVO: Unity_aHDiGJ7OsO.png

And the following is how HDRP SSAO would look like:

Scene without any AO:

HDRP adds AO correctly, but it's quite hard to notice. Sometimes you want something.. very different.
    And with MSVO you can get crazy results by increasing the settings. In GTAO (HDRP) it won't be that different, and you can never get something looking like MSVO.

I assume GTAO (HDRP) is more correct, but no one said we have to remain physical, even in a realistic looking game :)
    In the end all you want is something to look good, sometimes breaking realistic values does that better than if you haven't

One issue with MSVO is banding, which maybe can be improved from built-in implementation.
    * notice: The "HDRP" picture isn't actually HDRP, it's Horizon based ambient occlusion. But from my many, many tests, the results of HDRP will be about the same. In fact, HDRP's SSAO might look worse/less noticeable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Ruchir likes this.
  2. Ruchir

Ruchir

MSVO does really look good for situations where I need to take screenshots for sure, :)