Search Unity

Alternative Lightwave workflow

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by rom, Feb 18, 2009.

1. dejafu

dejafu

This looks extremely useful. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for this, or to help out if you make it open source. In any case, can't wait to give it a try. :)

2. Tzan

Tzan

Look at the date of the first post.
    Just work on your normal way of doing things. Dont hold your breath waiting for this.

3. Nemesis CGI

Nemesis CGI

I'm guessing it still work in progress, but the online demo video I've seen looked great!

4. MentalFish

MentalFish

Yupp, no breath holding please, don't want people to faint or die :D when something is ready for sharing, either me or Rom will pop on here and do so.

Also, keep in mind that with Unity 3.0 there is a built in lightmapping solution that does not require 2 UV export from LightWave.

5. Nemesis CGI

Nemesis CGI

My guess it though you can't use baked lightmaps from Lightwave with out porting from Unity?? Will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to see LW's morph options work with in unity though. :0)

6. SPACEY

SPACEY

Will this be only a MAC? Does it support animation?

7. afalk

afalk

I am really hoping that things are still going well for you guys. Between the discussion and the insanely enticing videos, this has leapt to the top of my must-have list. I'd love to see an update -- even if its no more tahn a reassurance of "still working on it"

8. Tzan

Tzan

Look at the date on the first post, this has been around for 1.5 years.
    There is no date for delivery. Just assume you will never get it and continue work as usual.

9. MentalFish

MentalFish

It hasn't been dropped or cancelled. Talking to other possible contributors too, but nothing new to report beyond this.

10. Trimshadow

Trimshadow

Well Looking at the video and the Newtek boards - couldn't this be released 'As is' - I'd still be willing to pay for such a plugin even if the additional Vmads were disabled on import from LW > Unity... seriously - It looks like an awsome time saver and even if we have to add additional mappings / textures etc.. once in Unity - who cares? Anymore news?

11. DmL

DmL

I am a long-time lightwave artist and videogame producer... would love some news on this!

12. Emme

Emme

Any news on this at all ?

13. MentalFish

MentalFish

Sorry to tell, it is dead in its tracks. I don't think Rommany is working on it anymore, and I can't get a hold of him. So everyone should assume it is never being released. The FBX exporter in LW 10.1 is really good though and Unity has the Beast lightmapper built in now so... :)

14. Tzan

Tzan

Its a sad story.
    But thanks for the update :)

15. dougdodd

dougdodd

I'm a very long time LW user (now using 2015). I'm also a developer, and I'm interested in pursuing this opportunity. What is the current status of this project?