Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative 3D Software

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by login4donald, Jan 24, 2013.

1. login4donald

login4donald

I need opinions on what 3D Modeling Software I should use. I am a 2D artist freelancer and could be 3D if I didn't have the Student Version of 3ds Max 2012 (aka can't sell or make profit off the models I make). So I'm looking for a cheaper solution and easy to get into program. Blender is out of the question. Period. I'm trying Silo which I was recommended but my concerns are it's navigation in the viewport and mapping and other clinks. There probably isn't a better solution then the those two and my choices are limited. But I'd like to hear what you guys use but 3ds Max I jumped into it and I was modelin' away with a day without even help/tutorials but every other one I've used is eh. So yea, any suggestions?

2. SteveJ

SteveJ

How cheap is "cheap"? modo and Cinema4D both some in around the thousand dollar mark.

There's HEAPS of threads on 3D package comparison though. Maybe check out some of the discussion that's already taken place.

3. Trinda

Trinda

Out of curiosity, why is Blender out of the question?

4. login4donald

login4donald

Cheap as in the 200 or lower range. I haven't heard of Modo. Blender is out because as fun as it sounds I don't feel like learning everything all over again and the UI is cluttered to me. I know it's all user preference but for be it just is unusable.

5. hafizmrozlan

hafizmrozlan

If you're using Mac you can consider cheetah 3D, $99 only.

6. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

You've got a couple of options.

I would stay away from Silo since it isn't under active development anymore and a lot of people complain of crashes.

If you've got the money then Modo is a good option. You get the complete package and in my opinion it's better value for money than 3ds Max.

A program that slipped in under the radar is Shade 3D. It's new to the Western market but it's very popular in Japan. It's also the complete package and the best is that there's a free Unity version! http://www.mirye.net/shade-3d-for-unity-overview

For pure modelling I'm a big fan of Daz 3D's Hexagon. It was free for a while but I believe last I heard it's now available for 20 USD.

Another new modelling program that's gaining a lot of fans is Nvil. It used to be called VoidWorld. It's currently in beta so you can use it for free. It will become a commercial product in the end. It's got a manual but because it's so new there isn't all that much learning material for it out there. It's definitely something to watch for the future though.

There's also Wings 3D. I haven't used it personally but some people love modelling in it.

As for Blender, well I'm with you. It just doesn't do it for me. I just can't get used to the weird interface.

7. Farfarer

Farfarer

I highly recommend modo. Not as fully featured as 3DS Max, but it's a fraction of the price and it'll do nearly everything Max does (and do it better). For modelling and UVing, there is no better imo.

Try sticking with Silo, it's probably the best you'll get for that price range other than Blender. Obviously no animating with Silo, though.

8. Metron

Metron

Additionally, if you have to create a low level model of your high end model, consider this:

http://www.topogun.com/

9. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

Anyone know of any simple 3D art programs for people with little to no 3D art experence? Like myself a few people here need 3D models but are doing the work themselfs so any advice on that end would be great.

10. login4donald

login4donald

Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried Wings3D and eh. Silo is okay for straight modeling and navigation will have a learning curve. But I will try out the other one's you suggested.

[EDIT] Would it be 'illegal' to use another program to model and 3ds max to UV map model and profit even though it was created in another program. I know it's a weird question, just making sure I'm not crossing any lines.

11. wccrawford

wccrawford

As long as you have valid licenses for all the programs you use, you can work however you want. Doing the lowpoly in 1 and sculpting in another is quite common.

12. login4donald

login4donald

Indeed I do :) and thx for the help you guys.

13. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

You're not allowed to use an educational licence in your creation pipeline for commercial purposes. It does not matter if you're doing the whole thing or just a part of it with Max, you would "cross a line" (even if it might not be traceable).

14. Louchein

Louchein

This is a similar response I was given when I requested information regarding educational licensing for Autodesk products. No commercial use may be permitted, if I'm remembering clearly here, unless you purchase an upgrade to your license which gives you total independence in regards to providing commercial services, or using objects you have made in an educational license for commercial use.

@ Login4Donald,

I very highly recommend using Sculptris. It is still free. I also very highly recommend obtaining a license for Topogun. It is not expensive, and will allow you access to a wide variety of professional re-topology tools that you can use to create low, or medium resolution models based off high resolution meshes exported from Sculptris.

It also allows you to create custom clothes, and accessories. Just draw them out, export them, and continue modeling them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. login4donald

login4donald

I figured and I wouldn't do it even then. Although I do plan to, if possible, purchase it in the later future.

@Louchein

Thanks you as well, I heard about Sculptris as well I plan to try everything out if possible before I go into creation and commerical affairs.

16. Louchein

Louchein

Login4Donald,

I hope you make a choice that suits you. You won't know which one that is until you have tried multiple programs. If I may express, and explain the following: I have had experience outside of Unity, and in other game engines. I don't use them as it's not my area of expertise. I have however spent a long time working with individuals who work in other, alternative applications. There is a multitude of programs available, and there are more tutorials available on the internet for free (provided by those who made them for free) than there are available for purchase. The only problem is they may not specify a solution to your specific problem.

I can tell you already, every modeling program, every animation program (granted it supports, in animation,"FBIK" aka "Full Body Inverse Kinetics Rig" in regards to animation) that is available for free can produce content similarly to the greatest 3D artists on the planet. Now, whether that pertains to just 3D modeling, animation, or texturing is a different story. Sometimes, people decide to specialize in one area if they haven't been professionally educated in another. Trade programs, which usually specialize in Networking, character design, 3D modeling, texturing, and animation will typically educate someone in a variety of fields, all of which can be used in not only game design, but film, and TV production.

I have personally undertaken this field of education. While I don't know everything, I have a suitable understanding of it, and a host of knowledge which can be applied to game design. So I ask of you to listen to what I have to say as someone who, with my current education, will more than likely end up developing content for future projects be them big or small.

With all that I have said. Regardless of whether or not you have an education in this field. It is going to require your time, and patience equally. Your patience will try your time, and your time will dictate what you must do in a certain time frame. There are not a lot of options available to you. We, the community here at Unity can suggest all the products we want. You must use all of them, and see what not only suits you best, but is easiest for you to achieve whatever you, and your teams current goal is.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  17. shaderop

shaderop

I think you'll find that there will be a steep learning curve regardless of which program you choose, even among Autodesk products. I consider myself a fairly experienced Softimage user, and yet all I can do in Maya is set keys and edit animation curves, and I'm totally useless inside Max.

I'm not endorsing Blender, because I also find it slightly disagreeable with my tastes. I'm just saying relearning is probably going to be unavoidable, regardless of which program you'll switch to.

18. Pix10

Pix10

Seriously, use Blender.

I can't stand it, but I can't deny it's value as a tool and if you took all my toys away, I'd lump it and learn to like it. I know some great VFX guys who use it with Houdini of all things: the only thing stopping you is the interface, but all interfaces can be annoying coming from one package to another.

19. login4donald

login4donald

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to use Blender, using it a bit with its own documentation helped me a bit to navigate and model a bit but I still have a while to go. Scultpris I will use for organics.

20. Unityart3dsMAX

Unityart3dsMAX

What about Wings 3d that is easy and good for me also Ill post another free program that is awsome as well

21. webgovernor

webgovernor

I just want to second the comments on Wings 3D. I love it. Very easy to use for low-poly work. The UV mapping could be better, but I've found it to be more than adequate.

I do agree with Blender's UI being cluttered and difficult to navigate. It sure is powerful though. And Vector Painting is kinda awesome.