Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternate platform support?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by ecurtz, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ecurtz

ecurtz

I know the beta stuff is all targeted to the web, but what would be needed to be able to build tiny projects for other platforms? Will there be some library framework that could be implemented by the community which would allow a tiny project to run on something like a single board computer for kiosks and embedded projects?

2. NVriezen

NVriezen

I am also very interested in this.
    I expect Tiny to be like PICO-8 and other fantasy consoles. Where we can make tiny games, which would work primarily on web, but also have some kind of loader for Standalone platforms and boards like Raspberry Pi.
    I could also see this work on for example Nintendo 3DS. But since that platform is getting old, I don't expect you to target the 3DS.

3. MBest_Unity

MBest_Unity

Administrator

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m the Product Manager on the product so I thought you might like to know how we see this as you consider your options.

Project Tiny has been written to be multiplaftorm. We are focused on HTML5 to start but certainly intend to branch out.

The important focus now is to make sure the core foundation is solid, performant, and has the feature set folks need for 2D experiences. We will start branching out once we feel good that we have hit this goal.

We have built the project with Web, native mobile, handheld game systems, and HMI on IOT use cases in mind. Demand from the community will be a strong driver of the order we pursue those.

I should also point out that tiny doesn’t have to run with a renderer. Headless use cases, such as servers, are also something we can explore down the line.

pcg and NVriezen like this.
  4. ecurtz

ecurtz

Excellent. Thank you for the reply, I'll be following with interest and happy to comment and work with the beta releases as you move forward.

NVriezen likes this.
  5. NVriezen

NVriezen

Thank you for the information. I as well will keep following the progress on Project Tiny with great interest. The use cases that you have in mind fit my needs perfectly. And after seeing a colleague of you talk about the possibility to bring Project Tiny to Nintendo 3DS it got me really excited to work with it.
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming beta releases.

6. TheRoccoB

TheRoccoB

In the interim, you can use a tool like Electron to wrap a desktop browser in an app, or Cordova for mobile apps.

NVriezen likes this.
  7. portaplay

portaplay

Hi, do you have any experience wrapping in Cordova?
    We are trying atm, but are running into issues where unity throws errors, when loading cordova, even before loading the game code (phaser/pixie).

"A managed exception was thrown. The Tiny runtime does not support managed exceptions"
    and
    "No native stack trace exists. Make sure this platform suport native stack traces".

Cordova does mention anywhere, that it does not support stack tracing. Or that it uses managed exceptions. But that does offcause not means, that it is not the case(s).

Any clues?

8. egonaraujo

egonaraujo

Are you able to see "console.log" ?
    I made a working build for the web, in my case, for facebook playable ads, and this message always came along with (more or less) details of the error.

They are not always that helpful ( Messages like "Entity {0} has ..." are common, and I am sure that that {0} should be a name or something)

The stack trace error is unity's fault, the tiny only has stack trace for native builds