Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Alt-tab made useless

Discussion in '2023.1 Beta' started by MrGameDeve, Jun 5, 2023.

1. MrGameDeve

MrGameDeve

There are a ton of windows showing up now and it totally breaks alt-tab.

2. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

... I do agree.. just give us the option to choose Unity.. some projects its fine others its not... currently I'm having to stack all these detached windows into one big one with a bunch of tabs to work around it absolutely clogging up my taskbar with buttons.... but it still leaves Unity Editor + Whatever other detached window....

you don't even gives us some way to add some customizable title to the window.. so whatever the active tab name is for the window + 'Project Name' etc ... some way to be able tell

I often have more than 1 Unity project window opened..

MrGameDeve and laurentlavigne like this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

What I'd like to know is how such terrible idea was vetted.
    It is simple:
    1. are users asking for it?
      1. Yes : Do it
      2. No : Ask them if they want it
    For reference: 2 unity with the same number of floating windows, 2021 and 2023
    upload_2023-6-9_12-14-59.png

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    RogDolos and MrGameDeve like this.
  4. castor76

castor76

even worse, when you have say,... 2 projects open, you have no idea which window belongs to which project, making it so difficult and confusing to work with.

thelebaron likes this.
  5. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

exactly, which is why a title bar customization/ improvement is essential now as nothing to say which detached window belongs to which project

6. castor76

castor76

But I wonder if anything can be done about this if Unity insists to have multiple windows. Because when your taskbar space starts to run out, the window sizes also get smaller, making any text displaying for the window's title not very useful, and readable.

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  8. joshcamas

joshcamas

I am REALLY glad they added "true" windows (tools like shader graph are now 10x more usable!!!!), but I am also surprised they went for having all windows use that system by default. I feel like a better approach would be to default to unity windows system, then be able to "pop out" into the windows system.

I hope they add something like this in the future