Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha WIP : The Sea of Stars

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by online|offworld, Jul 15, 2012.

1. online|offworld

online|offworld

Hi Everyone,

Been slaving away all weekend in Unity on my pet project "Terrastellar", it's a sort of a pirates in space kind of thing.

I had some wierd ideas about how I wanted to explain away travel between solar systems, wormholes that looked like cylindrical oceans and such. Trying to explain it with words just makes it sound silly though so I put together a bit of a working proof of concept to see if it would look better than it sounds. It's a bit rough, bunch of things need improving, but as far as being a proof of concept goes, I'm pretty happy with it.

I uploaded a webplayer at the url below, I'd be interested to hear how it performs on different computers...

http://www.terrastellar.com/posts/120716/seaOfStars.html

2. Majestic24

Majestic24

Performs well on my computer ( win7 x64 laptop, 2 gig rap, intel celeron 900 )

Just want to say this is a beautiful effect. It feels very life-like and like I'm really in it. Lighting is also very realistic

I want moar

Keep up the good work and feel free to check me out as well :)

3. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

4. SevenBits

SevenBits

I agree with hellraizerhhh. The geometry needs to move, and the texture needs to "rotate" faster. Still, a good proof of concept.

5. online|offworld

online|offworld

Hey guys,

It goes nice on my work computer too, which is a good sign because it has no video card...

I played around all yesterday trying to script morphing between different versions of the mesh but somewhere between blender and unity extra vertices where getting added which stuffs up pure morphing. So instead I had to rewrite using height maps which actually works fine. The script can blend slowly between different heightmaps which should look heaps better, but it was 1am by the time I got this going and I had to make myself get some sleep. The chunky look is more to do with the poly resolution of the mesh, I tried subdividing more closer to the camera but the poly count got way too high - I'll play around a bit more with that and build a more effective topology.

Does anyone have any tips for doing the wake behind the ship? Also, if you're interested, here's a rendering of the bridge at the front of the ship (it's not retopologised yet). It's an older model that I've had for a few years now so it's nice to finally start to do something with it :

$discovery_awesome_01_small.jpg