Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Alpha Soft Mask For URP 2D's sprites

Discussion in '2D' started by yinhao7700, Sep 6, 2022.

1. yinhao7700

yinhao7700

Hi everyone, I would like to get a circular version of the gradient sprite mask as shown.

This effect can indeed be achieved through this plugin link.
    But the plugin does not support URP 2D sprites and Its SimpleLit, SimpleUnlit Shader.
    And Unity's default mask seems to only support sharp edges.

I wonder if the 2D team can consider adding this seemingly common and useful feature?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  2. flasker

flasker

this is already one of the most requested feature but they cant do it apparently because of how their stencil pass is setup

3. yinhao7700

yinhao7700

Thx for your information. But I'm still wondering, given that there are plugins that implement this functionality (however the plugin was last updated 4 years ago) why the 2D team couldn't use a similar approach to implement this feature, even though it might not be a perfect solution.

4. flasker

flasker

ye this is possible to do with shaders, but its an hassle for them to implement because it has the potential to break other features

5. yinhao7700

yinhao7700

I see. Sounds like Unity is temporarily unable to provide this seemingly basic functionality, which is very frustrating. It seems that I have to learn shader:confused:

6. flasker

flasker

true, it would be sweet if they could make it work