Search Unity

Alpha Mask: UI, Sprites, Tilemaps, Particles, 3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DominoOne, Feb 16, 2015.

1. DominoOne

DominoOne

Alpha Mask
    is a set of shaders and scripts that are used for alpha masking.

Various masking components exist, but they usually require Unity Pro (for Unity 4) and are unable to use semi-transparency (soft masks, gradient masks, anti-aliasing, etc.). Alpha Mask component, however, solves these issues and provides a mask, similar to Flash or Photoshop.
    • Works with Unity UI (uGUI) Images and Text, Sprites and 3D Transparent Unlit objects.
    • Soft, anti-aliased, gradient and semi transparent masks supported.
    • All script and shader sources included!
    • Extremely easy to use.
    • Mask textures can be clamped horizontally/vertically.
    • Easy mask positioning in the Editor.
    • Supports mask moving, scaling, rotation, UV scaling, UV offset.
    • Masks can be freely rotated and mapped on any direction.
    • Can be used for UI or 2D games (including either Unity UI, Sprites or 3D Quads).
    • NO Unity Pro needed!
    • A sample with multiple alpha masks on a single sprite included (using a RenderTexture).
    Video presentation:

Support e-mail (we would love to answer your questions or receive any feedback about the component): support@tagofjoy.lt

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I'm subscribing to this thread. This looks very useful for my next project.

3. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi b4c5p4c3,

Thanks a lot. We hope that the plugin will speed up your development! Let us know if you run into any questions.

4. DominoOne

DominoOne

We have just released an update that adds Unity UI (uGUI) support (for texts, images, etc.) and also fixes Unity 5 warnings.

5. Nerull22

Nerull22

Are you able to confirm that this has support for TextMesh Pro? It's what we use for all text in our projects and I saw a separate soft masking component on the asset store where people said that that did not support this functionality. Just looking for some affirmation that this one does support TextMesh Pro having a soft shadow. Thanks, looks like a great tool.

6. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi Nerull22,

Unfortunately, TextMesh Pro isn't a Unity UI component (and it works differently), so our plugin does not support it at the moment. But let's talk in a private message, let's see if we can do something about it.

On the other hand, if you need text with effects that Unity does not have by default, you could try another package of ours: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/52508
    This package contains multiple effects for the standard Unity UI Text, so by using them you wouldn't need third party text plugins. Our Alpha Mask works with most of the effects that are included in the UI Text Effects package.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  7. JagaHee

JagaHee

Hello, did you test it on WebGL Build? will it work?

8. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi JagaHee,

I've just tested it and I can confirm that it works on WebGL :) It should actually work on any platform, since there is nothing platform-specific in the scripts or shaders.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi!

I just started using your asset, which seems very cool except for an issue with Unity UI Text objects. When I apply the mask, the text becomes black and doesn't respect the chosen color anymore. Is this fixable? Here is some screenshots to show my setup, in case it might help ("Txt Index" is the text object in the hierarchy):

alphaMaskingIssue.png

Cheers

10. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi Izitmee,

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Could you write me your e-mail address in a private message? I would send you an updated script directly, and if it works, I'd make an update on the Asset Store ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Demigiant likes this.
  11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ah, that was superquick, thanks! Just wrote you a private message :)

12. DominoOne

DominoOne

The fix worked, so I'm submitting an update to the Asset Store. If anyone else is experiencing black Text issues with Unity 5.2 or later (earlier versions do not have that problem), please just wait until Asset Store approves it or ask me to send you the fixed script directly.

Demigiant likes this.
  13. iamallama

iamallama

Can you use a RenderTexture as the alpha mask texture? I have been looking for an alpha mask that supports RenderTextures for custom lighting in a project I'm working on.

14. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi iamallama,

Yes, definitely :)

15. sgiff

sgiff

Curious if this works with NGUI, it's definitely something I'd purchase if so.

16. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi sgiff,

We haven't tested it with NGUI, but I would certainly like to look into it. Does it use SpriteRenderers or does it have its own solution for rendering images? If you could share a simple project (through a private message) with a simple NGUI setup, I'd be glad to check it out.

17. killradio

killradio

Hello,

Your asset looks really nice. I have a few questions though:

- It looks like the "Display Mask" option does not work when working with alpha mask. (I expect the mask to hide when clicking the option but it continues to render everything black in the scene around my mask)

- Is it possible to have multiple alpha masks on the same scene ? From what I understand of how it works it does not look possible but maybe there is a workaround ?

18. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi killradio,

Thanks for the positive feedback, we really appreciate it! I'll try to answer your questions:

1. It should definitely hide the Mask itself (and only leave the effect of the Mask on other images) when you untick "Display Mask". Could you show an image or two of how it looks (you can send them to a private message, of that's more convenient)?

2. You can have as many Masks in the scene as you need. However, you can only have one Mask applied to the same sprite/quad/UI element, out of the box. However, if you need multiple masks on the same image, you can render them into a RenderTexture first and then use the RenderTexture as the Mask in our plugin - this works perfectly and it a good way to apply multiple masks to the same image.

Let me know if you need anything else, and I'll be waiting for a screenshot regarding the first questions :)

19. killradio

killradio

Hi,

Concerning the first question, here are the screenshots.
    What I though, was that by unchecking the "Display mask", I would see my entire scene :
    - When "Display mask" ON : The background / wood texture has a round masked applied to it.
    - When "Display mask" OFF : The background / wood texture is entirely visible.

So the first screen shows with the unchecked "display mask". The second with the checked display mask. There is a small difference on the edges of the circle when display mask is on. So maybe that's the expected result ? (If it is, just ignore my question then ^^)
    [Display OFF]
    game_off.PNG
    [Display ON]
    game_on.PNG

Concerning the ability to have multiple masks on the same image : I am not familiar with RenderTexture but will look into it. I am not sure though if it is available for the free version of Unity ? Also, would you have some examples / samples to start with this ?

Thanks for the help,
    Cheers !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. DominoOne

DominoOne

It looks like your Mask object is behind the button (further from the camera on the Z axis). Could you try bringing it closer to the camera? You should then see the Mask itself, and unticking its visibility will be more obvious.

Regarding the RenderTexture, it is definitely available in Unity 5 Personal, but it's not in Unity 4 Free. If you're using Unity 5, you should be able to easily set it up (there's some information here: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-RenderTexture.html ). Your idea to provide a sample set up is great, though! We will surely include it in the next release.

21. killradio

killradio

Indeed, bringing the mask closer to the camera makes the effect more obvious. (and answers my question)

I'll be looking into the RenderTexture (as I am using the latest version of Unity), even though I am not quite sure how to render the different masks in it for my background. (The idea being a way to simulate lightings / fog of war)

Looking forward for your next release ;)

Thanks again :)

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi
    I’m trying to use this plugin to make a mask for image re-sizing/cropping etc. like the one below where everything around the selection is slightly darker.

Is this possibly using unity UI (panels , images) ?

image1.png

23. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi masterlsc,

I'm not fully sure if I understood your question correctly, but here is a quick sample of how you can use our Mask to "cut" a hole inside a semi-transparent black overlay. You can see how the Mask looks on the right image, and the result on the left one. You will need to make the Mask image Clamped in the import settings. I've made this sample with UI elements; and other elements (e. g. the circles on the corners) you can position from scripts, but you'll have to do the calculations yourself :)

Hope that helps!

mask_example.jpg

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi

Thanks for your reply, that is exactly what i'm trying to do. Could you send this code example that would be really great :)

Lars

25. DominoOne

DominoOne

There is actually no code involved - I just set the UI and the Mask up. You'll have to write the code that scales/positions the Mask yourself :) But if you move/scale the Mask in the Editor, you'll see how the "hole" changes and moves around (a sample scene is attached).

Attached Files:

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

thanks, awesome support

Have a nice day.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi

The sample dont seem to contain a working example, and i dont know how to set the masks up

28. DominoOne

DominoOne

Let's switch to a private message and see how we can resolve this :)

EDIT: Are your private messages disabled (I can't seem to be able to send it)? Could you send me a PM or drop me an e-mail via the support e-mail address specified here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29764

29. Bennybennerson

Bennybennerson

Does this support building to mobile platforms? The masks don't seem to be able to move on any mobile builds, such as a texture offset, or even a mask attached as a child to the player object.

My particular example I'm using the mask to cut through a large black sprite simulating darkness, and using a circle for light, the darkness follows the player just fine but the circle of light won't move past where it started.

30. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi Bennybennerson,

Yes, the plugin should definitely work on mobile platforms. Could you try putting the two Mask shaders (imported withing the package/plugin) in the Resources folder? Does that help?

31. Bennybennerson

Bennybennerson

Yes, that seemed to fix it, thank you very much!

Only thing is, is it doesn't seem to scale to canvas size when affecting the UI, the pattern is much more zoomed in on the mobile than it is in the editor. I can try changing some stuff around and see what I can do though.

Thanks!

32. BigjamGames

BigjamGames

33. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi again Bennybennerson,

Are you maybe using a "Screen - Overlay" canvas? I haven't figured out how to make the plugin work properly with that option, since it's implemented a little weird on the Unity side. Could you try "Screen - Camera", and if that doesn't work, then "World" space? And then let me know if any of that helps.

34. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi LitQoo,

If the animated objects use "Unlit / Transparent" shaders or the Sprite shader, then yes, the Mask should work on those animated objects.

35. shaybbe

shaybbe

This is a great asset! I'd like to buy it for my next project.

DominoOne likes this.
  36. DominoOne

DominoOne

Finally, we've released an update with a sample that uses a RenderTexture to combine multiple mask images into the Alpha Mask. The setup is pretty simple, so check it out!

screenshot6.png

37. nproject

nproject

Can I use this for mobile?

Thanks

38. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi nproject,

Yes, you can definitely use it on mobile :)

39. nproject

nproject

Hi, another question.
    I bought your plugin, I want to know how to mask a textMesh ?

Thanks

40. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi again nproject,

Without changes to the code it wouldn't work, because Text Mesh is not supported by our plugin (it's not a sprite, Unity UI element or an unlit 3D object). However, I've tried editing the code to make it work, and it looks like it does. I will send you the edited version within a private message.

41. nproject

nproject

Thanks for great support :)

BTW I already reply your private message.

42. fermmmm

fermmmm

I've imported your asset for the first time and TextMeshPro is throwing a namespace error:

Assets/Libraries/TextMesh Pro/Scripts/TMP_MaterialManager.cs(270,39): error CS1061: Type `Mask' does not contain a definition for `IsActive' and no extension method `IsActive' of type `Mask' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I fixed it by changing the type Mask to UnityEngine.UI.Mask. Maybe you should talk with the TextMesh pro guy to make it compatible. TextMeshPro is very popular.

43. fermmmm

fermmmm

I cannot position and scale the mask in my UI because I'm using a canvas configured as ScreenSpace - Overlay. I cannot change that configuration. The asset is useless for me :(.
    Are you going to fix that? I'm going to change my review when you fix it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  44. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi fermmmm,

Thanks for your insights. We are definitely willing to fix the "ScreenSpace - Overlay" issue, so I'll send you a private message for some additional information. Let's give it another go :)

45. DevEddi

DevEddi

The shaders don't seem to work on sprites or the shaders don't load in the test build. When using the Unity player it works fine. Am I missing something? I'm using the latest version btw.

46. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi DevEddi,

Try moving the Alpha Masked shaders (2D and 3D ones) into the Resources folder and let me know if that helps :)

47. CunningGrayFox

CunningGrayFox

Hello DominoOne,

I have an issue in my game and I was considering using your package to help me solve it.

The issue is an issue with the Unity UI Mask component. I'm building a nail painting game using the Unity UI with a canvas set to Screen Space - Camera and in it I have a game object called "Draw Panel" which contains a Mask component. "Draw Panel" has a child game object called "RawImage" that has, you guessed it, a Raw Image component and the drawing script. In-game the source image for the mask looks like it has pretty clean lines but when I paint the Raw Image texture and the mask is applied it looks terrible. My understanding is that the Unity UI Mask's alpha check causes this sort of inconsistent masking behavior.

Will your asset help me eliminate that rough border that's caused by the UI Mask component?

Attached Files:

48. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi CunningGrayFox,

Sorry for a late reply, I was away for a few days :)

Yes, that is exactly what our Alpha Mask does and solves, because the standard Unity Mask does not support semi-transparency, soft edges or gradients.

49. Celanda

Celanda

Where can I find tutorial or documentation? I have no idea how I can handle simple case with avatar and circle mask.
    I also have namespace problems with TextMesh Pro. Is it possible to mask TextMesh Pro objects?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  50. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi Celanda,

There is not much to document, because the usage is quite simple. All the necessary information is in the ReadMe file, included in the package itself. You can also watch the video that shows the usage of the plugin: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29764

Of course, if that's not enough, and you need additional help, just ask here :) However, the plugin currently does not support TextMesh Pro, although, we're planning to look into it.