Search Unity

Alpha channel not working in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Essential, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Essential

Essential

I've been trying to add an alpha channel to my psd file but Unity isn't recognizing it and I don't know why…

I've uploaded the .psd here: http://we.tl/SOsNqsc7XW

Could someone take a look and tell me what I've done wrong regarding the alpha channel, and tell me what they did to make it work?

2. Pix10

Pix10

Unity doesn't pull the alpha channel from .psd files - it looks for the alpha in the layers (same as with png). TGA is the best format to save as with alpha.

3. twiesner

twiesner

For some reason Unity doesn't like the BG Layer. I hid the layer and it worked.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's incorrect; I pretty much only use PSD for textures and it always reads the alpha channel. It does not work the same as PNG at all.

--Eric

5. Essential

Essential

Eric, I think I learned this technique from you actually. Whenever I import images with transparency into Unity I just use the original .psd file with an alpha channel to mask it. I then create a background layer at the bottom to help with transparent pixel matting.

In this particular file though, it doesn't seem to be working and I can't figure out why…

6. Pix10

Pix10

But but... I have to check this whe I get home, but really? I was so sure... Haven't used them in a project in ages, apologies for any misinformation. *hangs head in shame*

7. Essential

Essential

8. Pix10

Pix10

Ahhh... some small measure of relief that I'm perhaps not entirely delusional ;) Glad you got to the bottom of it.

9. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Also make sure that "Alpha Channels" tickbox is ticked when saving the file in photoshop (during specifying the file name)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Mehrdad995 likes this.
  10. JotaRata

JotaRata

11. stoofnie

stoofnie

haha an answer for 10 year ago just saved my day! The thread that keeps on giving <3