Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Alpha 0a9 - Unrecognized identifier 'VertexDescription'

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by Schodemeiss, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Schodemeiss

Schodemeiss

I loaded my project into Alpha 0a9 and was immediately hit with pink materials everywhere. I found an error in the console relating to pretty much all of my shader graphs. Here's one of those entries:

Shader error in 'Project/BasicColourWithNoise': unrecognized identifier 'VertexDescription' at line 360 (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS_VERTEX _SHADOWS_SOFT _SCREEN_SPACE_OCCLUSION
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    Disabled keywords: DOTS_INSTANCING_ON LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_CASCADE _MAIN_LIGHT_SHADOWS_SCREEN _ADDITIONAL_LIGHTS _ADDITIONAL_OFF _ADDITIONAL_LIGHT_SHADOWS LIGHTMAP_SHADOW_MIXING SHADOWS_SHADOWMASK INSTANCING_ON FOG_LINEAR FOG_EXP FOG_EXP2 UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING UNITY_PRETRANSFORM_TO_DISPLAY_ORIENTATION UNITY_ASTC_NORMALMAP_ENCODING SHADER_API_GLES30​

2. Schodemeiss

Schodemeiss

On further inspection it seems that if you have no nodes in the Vertex section of the Master Stack in ShaderGraph, that's when this error crops up. If you throw any node into the Vertex section - that appears to make the error go away and my materials work correctly. However, this is clearly a bug, as I shouldn't have to have any Vertex nodes in my graph if I'm not using them.

Even when you do have a node (again, any node will do) in the Vertex section, I still get a warning:

Output value 'vert' is not completely initialized
    Also worth noting, this is the case whether I'm on the Forward or Deferred rendering paths in URP (yes, Deferred finally dropped in the Alpha, wahoo!)

rtauziac likes this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @Schodemeiss,

We received your bug report about this issue but weren't able to reproduce the issue based on your description. If this is still an issue for you, it would be much appreciated if you could supply us with a copy of your project or another reproducible.

4. swantonb

swantonb

Hi @Schodemeiss, i get this error too, did you figure out what causes it?

@LeonhardP, I get this error for the lit shader from URP 12, in previous versions it works.. i cannot reproduce it in a new project, i dont know what the problem is, i dont have pink meshes, everything works fine in the editor. Really weird.

https://gyazo.com/4714197d5fbbe2c63e6b2db5a11aa9dc

I also get this error in Lit shader:

https://gyazo.com/ecc7b75b3308eacdf0a32382da951ddd

I really dont know what to do and i am pretty much stuck, can you help me figure out what is the problem?

I already sent a bug report but the guys there did not reproduce it and sent me back a "stripped" version of the project that didnt contain the scenes that cause it, they basically stripped the project to a scene that they found and built correctly even though i told them exactly what scenes cause the problem. This stripped version didnt even have URP package installed. My bug report was kind of big, that is why i hezitated to send it for a while, also unity bug reporter crashes at 92% and i provided a different link of the project in the report, to my dropbox. Anyway point is that there is a bug report with my error and if it would be awesome if you could take that project and reproduce it with the scenes that really cause the problem.

The bug report case is: 1361040

Their response was this:

https://gyazo.com/846160a0b257eb68e0fc6474afc624b5

I tried to tell them that i removed all the shaders from the project and the bug would still occur since there is a problem with the Lit shader. Now i have proof, the screenshot i made to the lit shader. I didnt do this previously, now i realised that i can see a shader error on it.

If you can look into it i will upload this broken project to my collab and you can get it from there.

Sorry for the novel, thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021