Search Unity

Almost impossible to get a package or a package update

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rogerdv, Sep 27, 2019.

1. rogerdv

rogerdv

Since a month or two ago Im facing a weird problem. I used to be able to download the packages I needed (using a VPN, because they seem to be blocked for Cuba), but now the package manager takes some time to load the list, and inmediatly says Im offline. Most of the time I cant install or update packages. I tried to create a new project, but the same: cant download or update anything. What can be happening here?

2. cassandraL

cassandraL

Unity Technologies

Hello @rogerdv,
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble downloading packages in your project.

To better help you, please attach the editor log, the package manager log and the diagnosis tool report so we can see what is happening in your case.

editor log:
    macOS ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log
    Windows C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

package manager log:
    macOS ~/Library/Logs/Unity/upm.log
    Windows C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\upm.log

To run the diagnosis tool:
    1. Download the zip
    2. Unzip UnityPackageManagerDiagnostics.zip
    3. Double-click the appropriate run-diag-<platform> for your OS
    4. Allow permissions to run the script
      • On Mac, you will need to Right-click > Open run-diag-macos to give permission
    5. Attach the generated report file

3. rogerdv

rogerdv

Here there are, Editor and package manager logs..

Attached Files:

4. rogerdv

rogerdv

And this is the Diagnostic report.

Attached Files:

5. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @rogerdv,

According to the diagnostics tool report, your Internet connection seems to be very, very slow. My guess is that you may be hitting timeouts somewhere, perhaps real ones (connection lost/interrupted by some external factor) or incorrectly inferred (download doesn't finish in a timely manner and is forcibly stopped).

I checked the other log files and saw no helpful information related to timeouts or connectivity issues. Could the VPN be severely throttling your network speed or limiting the size of files you can download somehow? Have you tried with a different VPN?

6. rogerdv

rogerdv

My connection suffers severe problems, but once a connection is established, it keeps around 300 kb/s. The VPN helps me to avoid those problems, which seems to be related mostly to creating new connections. So, I have not noticed any problem related to NordVPN, which according to my boss, is a very good one.

7. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

This might explain some of the problems. Metadata (i.e. the list of packages, their versions, dependencies, etc.) and packages (the actual contents) are fetched from different URLs, and downloads are parallelized up to a certain number of concurrent downloads. This means that quite a few connections are established during some operations such as updating packages, so it's possible that some of them are failing to connect, leading to a failure of the whole operation.

Do you know specifically which Unity version you were at when things worked fine, and which Unity version you upgraded to that introduced these issues? If you did not upgrade, did you add or update packages to your project that could have resulted in increasing the number of packages to retrieve, which could in turn increase the failure rate?

8. rogerdv

rogerdv

I know for sure that I downloaded packages in 2019.1, and 2018.2/3/4. But problems started with 2019.2.