Search Unity

Alloy Physical Shader Framework Version 3 For Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by xenius, Mar 2, 2015.

1. n00body

n00body

@Leon Reis
    Looking at the error, it appears that one of your other plugins has defined their own BlendMode type without namespacing it, which is causing a conflict with Unity's BlendMode enum. This is a problematic for any framework, not just Alloy, that relies on this standard Unity type.

2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I started playing with the Glass/LowQuality shader as a way to do a cloaking effect on spaceships and quickly got something going that I like. I added a dark blue rim emission to it, which is hard to see in the video, but gives it a tiny bit of form rather than just looking like clear glass. I also animated the distortion intensity quickly between 38 and 42 to give it a little "wiggle" to give it a little life, but the video is too compressed to make that out very well.

My first thought was to do a "hard cut" between the regular material and the cloaked material when cloaking, though I might play with a quick dissolve effect on the regular one as a way to transition between those.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas to beef this up some. I think it's fine already, but I'm just curious if there's something easy I could do to make it even better.

3. montyfi

montyfi

I don't know what happened but I have started to get this error:

Shader error in 'Hidden/Alloy/Deferred Skin': not enough actual parameters for macro 'ALLOY_COOKIE' undeclared identifier 'ALLOY_COOKIE' at Assets/Alloy/Shaders/Framework/Deferred.cginc(105) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with SPOT SHADOWS_OFF
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING

Any idea what could be wrong?

4. n00body

n00body

@montyfi
    Alloy (check changelog) and Unity versions, please?

5. jammer42777

jammer42777

Hi there. I have recently decided to head back to unity. But the standard shader seems a bit lacking to me coming from unreal.
    I've also seen people really liking the uber shader ultra.
    My question is this... If I am looking for a huge graphical boost for unity involving shaders.. what is the best option? (aside from good post processing, I will be getting scion at the earliest opportunity)

For me I'm mainly hoping alloy is that. (I'm puzzled at the success of uber)

Anyways any advice would be helpful.
    --Joshua

6. xenius

xenius

@jammer42777 Thanks for asking :)

Alloy's main merits break down into several categories:

Enhanced Shading
    : We've been tuning our BRDF selection progressively since the Unity beta, and have a number of enhancements up on the standard shader (even though the SS now finally is GGX based). We're using disney's diffuse brdf, we have a specular occlusion formulation, and we ACTUALLY allow you to set the specular f0 for non-metals.

Property Group System: All Alloy shaders are uber-shaders, in that they can have a whole feature-group added to them (such as masked animated emission, an extra occlusion channel on another UV set, rim lighting, vfx dissolve, etc.). All of these groups have grown from earlier versions of Alloy, and have all been field-tested and tweaked by us through the contract work we do. The goal with our selection is to hit the top 90% of common needs folks have for shaders, and have those ready out of the box as options.

Special Feature Shaders: Alloy is filled with special shader types, many of which you see equivalents of on the UAS sold as one-offs. We have a deferred compatible carpaint/iridescence shader, refractive glass, world-space projected blending, triplanar, a full character suite, an extended particle shader set, and more. We also have a mods folder that we're constantly adding in experiments, variants, and other cool random stuff we end up making on our contract projects/personal work.

Custom Tools: As Alloy shaders use a packed texture for optimization reasons (Metallic, Occlusion, Specf0, Roughness) in one RGBA texture, we built a map-packing system that allows you to keep those textures seperate in your project for easier editing/replacement, and then pack a unified texture of them, while generating a custom asset file that remembers the connection for you, and can even auto-repack when a child texture changes. We also have (what I'd confidently brag as) the finest custom shader inspectors around, with animated roll-outs for sections, and texture transforms. We've put a ton of effort into making the whole set as usable and clean as possible.

So yeah, hope that spells things out for ya! :)

7. jammer42777

jammer42777

Mind blown...
    OK one more silly question (I need to get some sleep after this)
    Does alloy play nicely with other shaders in a scene?
    (For example lets say I make a poolside scene in a game.
    I would be using alloy for all the characters and physical materials in the scene.
    Except I wanted to use a separate shader for the water...
    Would that work?
    thanks!
    --Joshua

8. xenius

xenius

@jammer42777 It depends on the shader. We use an alternate lighting falloff (and have extra lighting features), so opaque surfaces will either be forced into our lighting in deferred, or look dissonant on forward.
    Transparent stuff (which always draws forward) can look alright in certain circumstances. We also have a system of drop-in-override headers, where if another shader you have is a Unity surface shader, we can basically 'force' alloys lighting on to it. If none of those work out, then yeah, you can have some discontinuities.

jammer42777 likes this.
  9. montyfi

montyfi

Unity 5.3.3p2
    Alloy 3.3.4
    Just started from nowhere. Tried to reimport Alloy folder, but no luck.

10. n00body

n00body

@montyfi
    Did you try a full Alloy directory blowout followed by a reimport?

montyfi likes this.
  11. n00body

n00body

@jammer42777
    He forgot to mention that Alloy also has area light (sphere, tube, directional disc) replacements for all the standard Unity lights that work in both forward and deferred mode. ;)

chelnok, xenius and jammer42777 like this.
  12. montyfi

montyfi

That helps, thank you!

13. mkgame

mkgame

Unity 5.3.3f1
    Alloy 3.3.4

Hello,

I wrote an editor script to assign textures (from Substance Painter) to alloy shaders. Everything works fine, but the Alloy shaders need an update. My object in the scene stays black and I have to open/expand (in the inspector window) the Alloy shader on the prefab (or on the object directly in the scene) to get that update.

I tried to force update on the material, shader, gameObject and renderer, but without success.

Is there a way to trigger this update from editor script?

+

Enabling features in shader does not update the inspector. Eg. enabling _EMISSION keyword isn't visible in the inspector, but visible on the object in the scene.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

A current workaround is modeling the double sidedate geometry manually

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

For stuff like eyes, the specularity should be set to .025 (which is roughly 1.41 on the IOR). Roughness set to black. And TURN OFF specular AA. And the iris should have very little emission. Create a black texture, and copy a desaturated iris to be darker.

For skin, if your using GI and cubemaps, depending on your skin tone, keeping the tint at least .4 will allow the GI to do its magic.

punk likes this.
  16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Check out some of my tips below

17. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

Is this shader variant coming in the future, or could you offer some tips for me to rewrite the decal shader to support this?

I also have a question about parallax pertaining to the decal shader. Where is the parallax ground height? I would like to have the 0.5 color value as the center. With 1 being the top and 0 the bottom. This would enable having different parallax decals in one material. I could probably rewrite the direction myself with some help.

If I use the 0.5 as the ground height, or base height. Would it help to use a linear profile in Photoshop and bypass sRGB sampling in Unity import so that the color depth is equal up and down? I realize an inverse gamma correction is performed before shader calculations but that shouldn't help with keeping the color depth isotropic.

18. Plutoman

Plutoman

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

hey guys... with Substance Painter 2.0 and Substance Designer 5 now supporting iRay rendering within the viewport, will you guys be adding .MDL versions of your alloy shaders for presentations?

20. n00body

n00body

@Skolstvo
    We ran into some issues with consistent behavior of that shader between forward/deferred reflections. As a result, it will be included in the Alloy Mods folder, but not officially supported.

As for the "ground height" question, it differs between Parallax and POM. Parallax, black is ground and white pushes up. In POM, white is ground and black pushes down. Does that make sense?

@Plutoman
    Yeah, I saw that a while back. Didn't really look into it much since there wasn't a good way for us to integrate plane area lights. We'll be looking into Unity's Adam demo area lights when they release the implementation details.

@KRGraphics
    Honestly, I haven't had a chance to look at what that requires.

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Interestingly enough iray just works with Alloy, but I would love to some extra options like skin rendering and tessellation

22. n00body

n00body

@KRGraphics
    Well that's interesting. Does it look good?

Also, I'll try to look into that stuff when I have time, but that is something that diverts attention away from Alloy proper.

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Here you go... it looks sweet... and it requires no setup at all
    Screenshot 2016-03-16 16.41.22.png

Screenshot 2016-03-16 16.42.04.png

punk likes this.
  24. Skolstvo

Skolstvo

It makes sense, but is there a way to change this behavior? It would be draw-call friendlier if grey could be the ground distance. That way, one texture and material could be used for a bunch of different decals.

25. Misciagno

Misciagno

Is alloy going to need an update to get gpu instancing working with its shaders in 5.4?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  26. n00body

n00body

@Misciagno
    Yes. After we get Alloy 3.3.5 out the door we will start looking at what needs to be added/changed to support Unity 5.4.

27. Plutoman

Plutoman

Okay, so I'm going to ask here - I don't really expect any code, just looking for general direction advice, since you've got a lot of shader background here. I've gotten pretty decent at working with shaders, yet my mind is not entirely graphically suited, so I feel like I miss things at times.

I have a voxel terrain. It needs a triplanar shader. I plan to use the new Unity 5.4 features to set up texture arrays. I want each vertex to contain an indice into a texture array, and then I want to do a triplanar blend between 3 sets of textures.

The shader goal is to allow flexible, detailed textures, without the corresponding overhead of having many, many texture calls. This would be able to be easily optimized by skipping texture calls for equal indices. I suspect that newer hardware's support for the if-statements (and the running on a per-block basis) that it would be much quicker. The reason I am considering this is because I currently support and allow up to 12 sets of textures, that can be blended. Restricting this to a per vertex level, maximum of 3, would allow me to both support any number of textures, while restraining the overhead to a reasonable level.

The game goal is to allow large-scale blending of rocks, dirt, bricks, etc, modifications to the UV array from explosions and more - emissions and anything imaginable for use. This terrain is static, and generated once, besides the (potential) consideration of modifying the UV array (which is optional and up in the air).

The only ways I can see to allow a vertex indice, are to 1) keep every vertex as unique (which adds overhead that might be more than I care to use) and give them each a marker, so they each write only into a specific part of the vertex data (which I'm not even sure would work, because it would also interpolate with the default 0's?). Or.. Well, I don't know, actually.

I can keep what I have, but I'm just glancin' around for ideas from anyone who might be interested. I've messed around with the alloy shaders, and I'll probably end up adapting either one of them, or adapting Uber's shader (the triplanar selective is.. useful, but the blending between edges was too noticeable for me, and I would need to add real edge blending). The alloy's are easier to read, tbh, though. The triplanar selective is also something that could help, but my true goal is to support unlimited textures without the corresponding overhead of sampling all of them, or having a for loop w/ an if block inside (can I even have a generically lengthed for loop?).

Sorry for the ramble! I kinda mentioned this back before, I went on to a dozen other features before coming back to this, so I am trying to be clearer now. It's somewhat of a specific case, so really, I'm just looking for ideas and a direction.

This is a geometry example:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x08xt2iqzbuw20z/Screenshot 2016-03-17 14.47.53.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z92x6zkcj76xlhy/Screenshot 2016-03-17 14.48.31.png?dl=0
    Using Uber's, but there's stretching on some of those blending edges (then again, I should update to his latest version, but it's also not what I need anyways either).

28. n00body

n00body

@Leon Reis
    It's not a proper solution to the real problem, but I've patched in a workaround for your issue. It will be available in Alloy 3.3.5.

29. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Alloy has taken over (for quite sometime now) the Directional light.
    Maybe this is expected, but I have no options to edit the light settings.
    I get a list of errors when I add one to a scene, including this one:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AlloyLightEditor.OnSceneGUI () (at Assets/Alloy/Scripts/AreaLight/Editor/AlloyLightEditor.cs:152)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2031)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1383)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1220)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Unity 5.4b10
    Windows 10 64bit

30. n00body

n00body

@Don Gray
    We don't officially support Unity 5.4 yet because Unity made some changes to their scripting APIs that break our 5.3 code. We'll start looking at 5.4 in earnest once we get our next release out.

Don-Gray likes this.
  31. venv

venv

Hey, I'm looking into using Alloy or something similar for an upcoming project - and Alloy certainly looks like a fantastic choice - but we'll be publishing to WebGL. With Unity 5.3's graphics update to no longer using the OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics library, is Alloy now working with WebGL builds? I can't find anything about it in this thread since the 5.3 update. Thanks!

32. mkgame

mkgame

I'm using Substance Painter 1.7.3, where I defines plastic material (low roughness, no metalic). Then I feed the Alloy core shader with it. My problem is, that in SP the metareial looks wet (with SP Alloy shader) and in Unity 5.3.3 dry (Alloy 3.3.4). The only way to get some wetness is to set a large amount metalic to the material in SP, but I don't want the metalic part

Any idea what could be wrong? What could I do to fix this issue as fast as possible? 2 posts bellow you can see my SP Alloy exporter.

hint: Changing the color space to Gamma gives me nearly the same look, like it is in SP (really nice). Metal looks like metal, plastic have enough specularity. But I know, Alloy needs the linear color space.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  33. Zyblade

Zyblade

I'd like to know, if you guys could setup an official video about integrating substance designer substances into alloy. There was a video made 2014, but he runs through pretty quick so it's easy possible to miss important steps and maybe it's just too old to provide all necessary information.

34. mkgame

mkgame

Make your Alloy exporter looks like on the picture. Colors help you to find out what is what. Emissive must be added by optional shader (click on +) and choose Emission on the Unity Alloy shader. bandicam 2016-03-26 21-52-18-201.jpg
    For specular you have to set 127, else SP leave it White or Black and that is not the default in Alloy shader. Else, the specularity won't be visible. You may have acceptable metallic material but plastic material will not be possible.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  35. Zyblade

Zyblade

Thanks, gonna try that out.

36. n00body

n00body

@Plutoman
    What is your question specifically as it relates to Alloy?

@venv
    Honestly, it hasn't come up, so I can't really say how well it would do with Unity's WebGL 3.0 support.

@mkgame
    Images would be more helpful than a description. One thing I notice is that in your picture down below you are exporting smoothness rather than roughness. Why are you doing that?

@Zyblade
    We're planning to do videos, but the team's lead/only artist has been busy with contracts and getting our first Steam VR game ready for its upcoming release.

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Some where in this thread, I do provide an export template. I'll do a quick video for you

38. mkgame

mkgame

@n00body
    The name is MetalicSmoothness, I didn't changed it, but inside [Metalic, AO, Spec, Roughness]. Additionally HDR freezes my rendering at starting the game, GUI works but all Alloy shaders doesn't update the frame.
    HDR option on camera also freezes my rendering with Standard Unity Shader at starting the game! So, this is not related to Alloy!

Pictures, 1. SP, 2. Alloy, 3. Gamma:
    (Hint: It's not an easter egg!)
    SP_Alloy.jpg Alloy_linear.jpg Gamma.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  39. lazygunn

lazygunn

Quick question - is it odd that if I have alloy shaders for the terrain and things on it that when I set a cube map with truesky as the skybox and ambient lighting is set as sky box, everything goes a harsh green colour?

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the sky box format but it's messed with a few and really even with other sky boxes, same result. It's a bit disappointing because I'd like to have the terrain blend in nicely with everything going else that's treated with a pbr lick of paint (I've concluded that the alloy IQ goes above and beyond) without any headaches but this is quite garish and seems to preclude an inability to get decent ibl solution for the terrain

Any guidance much appreciated. By the way if you added parallax or pom to the terrain options you'd get so many extra beers

40. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

Can you kindly write a script for changing all materials that use alloy shaders to change to standard ones?

We are on unity 5.4 and we cant compile a build , we are under deadline.

41. n00body

n00body

@Michaelbgdrs
    Is there a particular reason you that you can't use Unity 5.3 until we officially add support for 5.4?

@lazygunn
    PM me with screenshots, detailed repro info, and your platform info (Unity ver, Alloy ver, etc).

@mkgame
    It took me a while to figure it out, but I think I spotted the problem in your Painter output maps configuration. I believe their "Specular" channel is for a Specular Smoothness workflow, and has a different value than what our "specularity" channel expects. As for the Gamma/Linear question, Alloy must always be linear. As for our SP preview shaders, they were coded against SP's default settings, so use those.

@all
    Sorry for the lack or replies, we've been trying to get our first Steam game ready for its launch today.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    KRGraphics and Arganth like this.
  42. Arganth

Arganth

which game? :)

43. n00body

n00body

@Arganth
    We'll have an official announcement and trailer soon. Stay tuned. ;)

44. xenius

xenius

BOOM
    Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/450540/

First game on Steam! *dances* ALLOY'S ALL UP IN YOUR VRssss :) (totally didn't really sleep last night wheeeee)

Any Vive users in the house?

chelnok, chiapet1021, punk and 3 others like this.
  45. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

If you really want to use specularity for your textures, you will have to jump into Substance Designer and do it there... use a uniform colour node and blend it into your textures (make sure the node is greyscale)... I usually set it to 10 and blend any details I need.

47. Feydwin

Feydwin

Running into a speedtree shader issue, and i know it's not specific issue with Alloy, but i know nothing about shader programming, and i could really use a hand here :
    Speedtree.jpg
    That specularity effect on the leaves is killing me. I have a full terrain to make, with quite a lot of speedtree assets to put in. And there is no way i do that with this spec effect on the leaves, especially since it also shows even for leaves behind the trunk....
    Regular speedtree shader does gives the same result, with free speedtree package from asset store as well.

IS there an easy tweak to the speedtree alloy shader that i can do to not have that strong effect ?
    I know that using alloy area light and uncheck "Specular Light" on the component fixes it, but i dont want to do that, i want to keep the specular effects on the other assets like rocks, water, ect...

Anything else i can try ?

Getting desperate here (

48. chelnok

chelnok

I got google cardboard :) Congratz! The game looks fun.

49. xenius

xenius

Greetings folks.

Alloy 3.3.5 is now live on the store

Some important notes: This will be the final Unity 5.3.x compatible version of Alloy. Moving forward, all future releases will be Unity 5.4 beta and up.

The most wide-ranging change for this release is that a sub-pixel offset bug in the texture packer was fixed. We aren't sure exactly when exactly this bug occurred (as older projects of mine do not exhibit it), but was likely introduced by some obscure change in Unity's api. What this means is that your packed maps aren't flaaawlessly lined up with your base-color maps right now, and may be a bit blurrier than they should be. After importing this update, you should right click and re-import all of your _alloypm/_alloydm etc. texture maps. A word of warning on this, Unity can sometimes get pissy if you tell it to reimport gigs of assets at once (memory issues in the editor?) so i would likely suggest that you do this one/a couple directories at a time, instead of doing a find-all/reimport all. Many apologies on this one, a user in the community discovered it and it was only really visible because of a material with a very noisy metallic map.

Version 3.3.5
    =====================
    Shaders:
    - Added detail normal map support to the SpeedTree shader's "Branch Detail" mode.
    - Added "nSplat" terrain shader variants.
    - Added "AO2" feature to the "Transition" shaders.
    - Added "Detail" feature to the "Terrain" and "Vertex Blend" TriPlanar shaders.
    - Changed "Weighted Blend" and "Directional Blend" to use their secondary textures alpha to influence blending.
    - Changed "Parallax" effect to reduce cost when using it in conjunction with Amplify Texture.
    - Changed the internal API coding style.
    * If you use the config header, you will need to use the new flag names.
    * Contact us if you are using customized shaders and require updates.
    - Fixed "Eyeball" shaders to apply pupil dilation effect with Amplify Texture.
    - Fixed "Eyeball" shaders to sample normal maps when using Amplify Texture.
    - Fixed the Unity attenuation option to match between Forward and Deferred mode.
    - Fixed "Hair HighQuality" issue with depth of field.
    - Fixed incomplete mode feature definitions for the "TriPlanar" and "Directional Blend" shaders.
    - Fixed "Transition" shader's weird edge glow and blending behavior when using "Parallax" effect.
    - Fixed "Oriented Blend" shader to apply "AO2" effect on top of the oriented blend layer as well as the base layer.
    - Fixed missing "AO2" effect on "Directional Blend" shaders.

Tools:
    - Added a workaround for 3rd party plugins that use conflicting definitions for Unity's BlendMode enum.
    - Added two new packed map modes to simplify converting Unity metallic and terrain packed maps to Alloy's formats.
    - Fixed the Material Map Channel Packer to no longer transfer blurry samples from the input maps.
    * We strongly recommend that you reimport all your packed maps to apply this fix.
    - Optimized the Material Map Channel Packer for much better packing speed.

Mods:
    - Added "Transition Lite" shader that uses terrain packed maps for Main and Secondary Textures, as well as removing the glow effects from dissolve and transition.
    - Added "Decal/Ambient" shader which is a mesh-based decal shader that multiplicatively blends only the ambient contribution.

Known Issues:
    - redLights 2.0 integration is currently broken.

Corvwyn, chelnok, montyfi and 3 others like this.
  50. Michaelbgdrs

Michaelbgdrs

Thank you so much. Updating as we speak.

xenius likes this.