Search Unity

Allowed to publicly display code of a paid asset?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racsov, May 14, 2021.

1. Racsov

Racsov

My group is currently writing a bachelor thesis which is going to show code examples from the Unity asset "Turn Based Strategy Framework". When we publish the report, then we the option to make it publicly available or make certain parts hidden from the public (this can include the code examples from the used Unity asset). Therefore I am wondering:
    Is the act of publicly showing code examples of paid Unity asset against the license for Unity assets?

Link to the license page for Unity assets:
    https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

2. sxa

sxa

Showing code is redistribution of that code. Permission will be required(*), and said permission may not intrinsically be part of the existing license agreement.
    (* Fair Use terms may apply if you're only showing small parts of that code for commentary or criticism)

Why dont you just ask the developer of that asset for permission directly, though?

Socrates and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Racsov

Racsov

Hm... Yes, I can just ask the developer. I'll do that!

4. xjjon

xjjon

Not sure how much of their code you are showing, but if you are just using their interfaces it shouldn't be a problem.
    For example, you can already see how their framework is used by reading the docs and it goes over most of the interfaces you are expected to use.

You can also just wrap their code in your own interfaces and put that in your report if you don't want to use their code in your examples.

Not a lawyer but in the US the Supreme Court has ruled that interfaces (APIs) CANNOT be copywrited and you can use it under fair use.

5. Racsov

Racsov

Thanks for the reply xjjon.
    I asked the creator of the "Turn Base Framework" asset and he allowed me to show the little codd I have added in the bachelor thesis so it got worked out.