Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Allow Xcode to profile macOS standalone build (generate a project or otherwise)

Discussion in '2019.1 Alpha' started by bitinn, Dec 20, 2018.

1. bitinn

bitinn

Hi,

I spent the last a few days looking for information about how to use Xcode frame capture and shader profiler with a Unity standalone build for macOS, and come to the belief it's simply not possible today.

- Xcode require a project to exist in order to capture the build.
    - Unity doesn't generate a project explicitly for macOS standalone build (unlike its iOS build).

But Unity must have generated something that link the macOS build to Xcode (as it requires Xcode tool to build), so can Unity create a Xcode project for macOS build too?

Without it, I am not seeing a way to examine shader performance metrics like ALU on macOS platform.

(I do use Intel GPA and it's powerful, but I don't see it offering the same metrics like Xcode shader profiler. AFAIK Intel GPA and Xcode are the only tools we got to analyze macOS Metal API frames, there are no other options available)

Thx!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. bitinn

bitinn