Search Unity

Allow short search keywords for in-thread search

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by bgrz, Sep 29, 2017.

1. bgrz

bgrz

Currently it's impossible to search in threads for words like "vr", "obj", "fbx" because the forum disallows searching using short words. Can this be changed please?

keeponshading and nat42 like this.
  2. Baste

Baste

This is a large problem!

There's a lot of words that you should be able to search because they're important for making games in Unity, but can't because they're short. There's a lot of them, like C#, vr, xr, ik, PS4, etc. etc.

I get that searching for words like "a" or "is" isn't viable, but if you want questions about IK issues to be searchable, IK kinda needs to be indexed.

Is this something that's possible to adjust on your side, or is it a restriction on the built-in search engine? In that case, you could maybe just do what other forums do, and replace the search engine with a google search, since that handles terms like "ik solver" or "vr camera" just fine.

3. nat42

nat42

In my short time here I've been bitten with "ik" "VR" and maybe "fbx", as already mentioned, also: "IPD" (because who writes "interpupillary distance") and "sky" (searched for "animated sky" and got results for simply for "animated" :( sigh)

It's a restriction on the forum search function server side, one imagines though it may be possible to tweak the search to blacklist words like "the" or whitelist terms applicable to the forum.

EDIT: brainstormed other terms: "GUI", "bug", "gun", "ray", "sun", "pi", "js", "cpp", "c++", "AAA", "sin", "cos", "dot", "rng", "rnd", "pow", ".net", "iOS", "Mac"
    I'd suggest "lit" for the phrase search "vertex lit" (very different results from searching "vertex" alone), but that actually works currently, likely due to the phrase search

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    bgrz likes this.
  4. DidierAubin

DidierAubin

How to solve it? a large problem :eek:

5. bgrz

bgrz

bump.