Search Unity

Allow project deletion via unity hub.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by ReignOfDave, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ReignOfDave

ReignOfDave

I think allowing project deletion via unity hub would make life just that little bit easier.

2. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I frequently create new temp/test projects and would like to have two separate abilities:
    1. To remove projects from the list.
    2. To delete projects from the disk.

3. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

Your requests are noted

4. Brathnann

Brathnann

I was actually looking for this myself to see if there was a way to remove projects from the list. I thought it might have been stored in a json or the registry, but I haven't had luck locating it yet.

KevUndead likes this.
  5. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

7. Dredwing

Dredwing

I would also very much like this feature.

Seems the only current way to do this is via a registry change which isn't really ideal.

The hub seems great, being able to remove/delete projects from the list would be handy (and, to me, seems an obvious thing to add).

neonblitzer and KevUndead like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have 16 projects in my list. My new project, though I've opened it 3 times, isn't showing up. Is there a max? I can't believe there is no option to remove them.

9. Brathnann

Brathnann

I have 39, so if there is a max, I haven't hit it yet. Keep grabbing the hub updates when they are offered, they keep improving it. Recently it's been better about keeping the recently opened projects at the top.

I've had that issue where a project opened doesn't show at the top, but the reason for it is unknown, but for me it seems if I open a project but don't do any work in it it seems to not keep it at the top. It seems to correct itself though.

10. maewionn

maewionn

Unity Hub 0.18.0. Still no option to delete them from the List :)

Deleted User likes this.
  11. douglasparker

douglasparker

I really need to be able to remove projects or edit the location for projects in Unity Hub... The ability to delete would be amazing as well.

Deleted User and Sporky like this.
  12. Shadus

Shadus

Also to rename them would be appreciated, even if it's only renaming them at the hub level.

Sporky and douglasparker like this.
  13. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

For the love of god, please add this.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

cant wait for this...

15. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Same here, this could be probably the most awesome thing in the world of Hub !

Deleted User likes this.
  16. uwustudio

uwustudio

Please add the ability to remove projects!
    Come on, it's not like its a super big feature to add

17. BorjaFAC

BorjaFAC

We need this. PLEASE. This engine can't have a simple and useful project manager!

Sporky likes this.
  18. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi everyone,

Just chiming in to say we hear your requests loud and clear. It hasn't been top of mind for the past couple of preview releases unfortunately since we've in the process of stabilizing of v1.0 official release.

To clarify, I believe there are different implementation worth discussing in more details. Some are asking for the ability to 'delete' while others are asking for the ability to 'remove' and ideally we would look at both. We would like to hear any additional details on expectations for either behaviour

For example:
    Delete = move project folder and all contents to the OS trash/recycling bin
    Remove = simply remove the project from the Hub list but keep the files intact on disk.

Project Management overhaul will play a big part of upcoming feature development (which equally requires a redesign of the whole interface) so we can better support sorting, filtering, and search.

On the topic of 'renaming' a project on deep shall we go? e.g. only renaming on a OS level? We've equally heard requests for the Hub to display the project name as it's defined in the Player settings... Maybe worth kicking off a new thread on renaming only but happy to continue to the conversation either way.

Thank you, as always for the all feedback and support!
    Daniel (and the Hub team)

19. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Hello @DanielTG
    for me when I was saying "Delete" I mean in fact "Remove".
    I don't think your hub has a vocation to remove from disk a project or maybe use a popup with a toggle for example
    =>
    Would you remove your project from Hub ?
    Toggle here : Would you delete it from the disk too ?
    And then 2 buttons OK / CANCEL
    <=

20. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yes, the ability to remove from the hub list would be nice. Sometimes I open a project once to look into something (coworker needs help, or I'm adding something to a repo project, or something...)

Otherwise, I may create an experimental project and don't want it in my list forever once I'm done experimenting. A delete function isn't that important for me on projects as I can delete those as needed myself.

Renaming a project is simply some way of better telling what the projects are. My company requires all my projects to exist in a folder

/*ProjectName*/Project

So when I open up the Hub, I just see "Project" for the name of every project. The path underneath does help me figure out what project is which, but it would be nice if it either allowed us to customize the name or it used the project name in player settings.

To add, it would be great to be able to add our own "tabs" on the left side.
    Right now we have

On Disk
    In the Cloud

If there were a way to add our own tabs to that, then we could use the two predefined tabs or add our own and be able to flag our projects to whichever tab we wanted.

21. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Need a Remove feature = simply remove the project from the Hub list but keep the files intact on disk.

It seems to be automatic when Unity Hub lauch, it checks if the projects paths still exists and if not, projects are removed from the list.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    girl4tech likes this.
  22. girl4tech

girl4tech

:D - please add this ^^^^

Sporky likes this.
  23. specterdragon

specterdragon

FWIW - I support this as well. I often create small projects for proof of concept and then copy that proof into a larger project. Having the POCs cluttering up the list after they are no longer needed just makes it a bit of a mess. I don't think the hub should have the ability to permanently delete the folders, but a better list management system is greatly needed.

Sporky likes this.
  24. koalazub

koalazub

So it's been a number of months and a few iterations since your response and now we've hit the big 1.0.0 release of Unity Hub, though it's still lacking in the 'Remove Project' department. Will it still be a feature to be implemented at some stage?

Sporky, SureSight and Sajextryus like this.
  25. snarlynarwhal

snarlynarwhal

Why the heck can't we delete a project from hub? I accidentally selected a project's parent folder once and now it just sits there. And of course clicking on it does not open the project so it's super annoying.

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, it's in the registry, but it's not under any of the hub entries. It's under the editor entry.
    Code (csharp):
    1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Unity_Technologies/Unity_Editor_5.x
    From there the relevant keys all start with the following text.
    Code (csharp):
    1. RecentlyUsedProjectPaths
    Open the entry, read where it's located, and if it's the one you want removed simply delete the key.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    JanTuts and Deleted User like this.
  27. Brathnann

Brathnann

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to take a look. That's probably why I couldn't find it.

28. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

This is a really strange feature to be missing. Come on!

29. laessnb

laessnb

Yes, I just want to be able to remove a project from the list. I can go delete projects off disk myself and I don't care about renaming at all. Just don't want a thousand tiny test projects cluttering the list. :)

30. Junuxx

Junuxx

What the heck guys... Deleted some toy projects, they're still in Unity Hub's list. This is a super basic functionality for a launcher. And apparently you've been making excuses about it for over a year. You should be asking yourself how was this not in the initial design!

I checked regedit but no dice. There are 11 RecentlyUsedProjectPaths entries, but none of them match the ones I want to get rid of.

31. George_HugeRobot

George_HugeRobot

Wow. I can't believe this is still an issue after users brought it up more than a year ago.

Can you imagine having a text editor with no delete functionality? This is as absurd as that. I mean... at least in the case of a text editor, I might see a use for it - like no label keyboards like DAS - used to train people into being better typists... but this... is it supposed to train me into not using the Hub? Because it's working - it's the kind of S*** that makes me want to give up this project of learning Unity and just go straight back to the rather saner embrace of Unreal.

Look. I get this post is a little rude, but it's also such a basic and expected functionality in modern UX that it's exasperating that it's not there.

Here's what I'm expecting from the Hub - remove project from list (a button that removes the mention of the project in the hub). Open project folder (So I can jump to it and clear it out if I want). Finally - some way of adding project folders to the hub easily. I think that's there, but the UI isn't too clear about it (I think it's open - but it really should have a tool tip that says; open existing project by selecting project folder - or some such).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  32. soft_sound

soft_sound

5 years from now we might get the ability to delete an entry oh joy...

Yeah, this would be super useful, I just moved a project folder and of course the hub can't find it so I had to open up another entry so now I just have old entries hanging around referencing paths that no longer work...

It's pretty awful if you move a lot of projects onto another hardrive... But I needed the space and I reorangized them for client projects and test projects now. Being able to rename stuff, delete entires/projects and fix/change paths would be sooooo nice.

33. Brathnann

Brathnann

At about 4:35 info on the new Unity hub 2.0 that is coming.

Captain_Squareyez likes this.
  34. Captain_Squareyez

Captain_Squareyez

Thanks for posting that vid Brathnann, was just looking for this myself. Good that its being added to the hub :)

35. Brathnann

Brathnann

I'm surprised nobody from Unity mentioned it, but the new hub version looks to be a huge improvement.

36. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

When is it coming?

37. septN

septN

As someone who like to tinker around with test projects, this feature would help tremendously.
    My unity hub is cluttered with my test projects that I wish I could've just easily remove some it from the list, leaving just the important one :)

38. misher

misher

The "X" button somewhere, confirmation dialog with the toggle to delete from disk. RENAME option pease also, sometimes you clone the project twice due to a mistake, and then you find it named smt like "your project name (2)", and it's annoying...

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm all for this too. :)

40. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

This is getting pretty annoying as i'm testing and prototyping ideas in different projects. It's been over a year since this was acknowledged by Unity and still no ability to remove a project.....

41. Brathnann

Brathnann

And, as I mentioned. It's coming in unity hub 2.0. Yeah, I'd like the feature now instead of later as well. Trust me as my work project list is filled with prototype projects as well as normal projects, but all we can do is wait for them to release the new hub. I assume it's coming with 2019.1, so hopefully not to long away.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, I searched the registry for Unity Hub only... :)

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Thank you again for the tip! :)

This is for Windows 7, is it valid for Windows 10?

44. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yes, it's in the same location for win 10

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, well, that's a surprise. :)

46. eco_bach

eco_bach

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  47. james_unity988

james_unity988

Unity Hub 2.0 is here and still no remove option! Are you kidding me? The only way to remove projects is to edit the registry?

laessnb likes this.
  48. No. You can move/remove the project folder from the original place as well.

49. james_unity988

james_unity988

But that won't remove it from Unity Hub. It will still clutter the UI which is why we are asking for a remove feature!

50. AFAIK after a Hub restart it should disappear. At least it disappeared when I tried last time (couple of months ago). They may changed it, IDK.