Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

All * Star Characters(36)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SexySidekicks, Jul 27, 2015.

1. hopeful

hopeful

@SexySidekicks - Not sure if that's HD, but pretty sure it's DD. ;)

(I would not be shocked if a mod came by and asked you to post art that is more discreet.)

2. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

added white tapes...there are assets on the store that have shots of nude base characters...I think that they are important for showing model quality. But nevertheless, I have her covered for a PG rating. Her body normals are not as yet done, I call her HD because her high LOD head is at about 2k tri's...a separate eye and hair shader will be required for those elements. HD does not mean 100,000 tri's, anything that high is ridiculuous and would be a major performance killer. Also, if there are to be things like sweat layers, wet layers and grime layers...ala Tomb Raider...you ought to make some conscious effort to keep triangle counts down to a dull roar. Overall my goal is to make HD variants look better for first person view usage.

3. hopeful

hopeful

@SexySidekicks - Just to be clear, I wasn't complaining. And I probably own those other models you mention. ;)

But Unity has a foot in the pro world, and a foot in many countries around the world, and there are some different views out there on what to post and what not to post. That's all.

4. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Hopeful, thank you for your support...I 100% agree with your feedback.btw, I love complaints! They are a motivator! I have many great works coming this year, and I sincerely hope you like them!

5. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Been busy lately and hadn't made it back to this thread for a while ... and I see I've missed a lot! Everything is looking incredible @SexySidekicks and I can't wait for the update to test everything out. While my list of primary updates begins with swappable outfits and higher resolution textures, I've got to say that after seeing the demo of your combat system, it's found its way high up on that list as well.

6. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

St Louis, thx for the interest...I have a ton of things planned for 2016, I'm currently doing my best to get the Jan update out on time, it may slip a week or two (for morphs and HD)...at the very least I already have LOD/Face/hair/eye color swapping in, and the combat demo is tons of fun....I want to get aniso hair shaders, and colorization in for this important update too....hopefully all of these should be available Feb 10. If not, they will happen in Feb at some point.

7. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Please note that HD will only be for heads for now, the bodies will need to be updated for HD at a later date (there's a lot of them...currently 36...and that number is slated to grow dramatically...fairly soon...)

8. SoftwareWorkshop

SoftwareWorkshop

I hope that you will also complete the low poly sets for the remaining characters :D

9. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

SWS, absolutely...mobile support for all the characters is one of the two primary remaining commitments(atlas/avatar and mobile)
    Everyone, this update is running late and looks like mid February at the earliest...the hair tests using third party shaders was non-spectacular...to get the magnitude of shine I desire would require weeks worth of work...I can get the second angular shift easily enough...but the magnitude is always "scarcely noticable" vs. realistically almost always brite white...especially on very light blonde hair. The standard Unity shaders will have to do for hair. Tried some Kajiya-Kay as well, very unimpressed with those results...will update when Atlas and LOD's are submitted

10. hopeful

hopeful

Hair shading is hard.

I'd say focus more on the models and leave the shading to us.

11. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

hopeful, I LOVE YOU!!!

12. hopeful

hopeful

Heh. So far as I know, there is no really great solution for hair shading yet in Unity. Some people like the hair used in the Blacksmith demo. If you need "something," you can always take the shader from there.

13. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

I'm pretty close with my own shader...the real trick is getting a very high sheen working...i'm still struggling with tangents...i wrote a tool that actually lets me "paint" directional tangents simply by analyzing the direction of a mouse stroke...but I think that I am wrong with it because the output should be red or blue depending on direction...and currently...I've got a freaking rainbow!

SoftwareWorkshop likes this.
  14. Esenthel

Esenthel

I love this pack!

My suggestions / wishes:
    Don't work on shaders, combat systems - leave that to us, the developers.
    What I would love is to have more content added, specifically for Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

New armor, new characters, etc.

Thanks!

theANMATOR2b, hopeful and midian808 like this.
  15. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

I know I previously commented on finding the new combat system interesting (and it really is), but I've got to agree with @Esenthel on what's most important to me (the Fantasy category, at least). If all of the "extra" stuff is holding back release of the updates to higher resolution textures, swappable outfits, and customizable characters (hair, faces, etc), then I'd appreciate the "extra" stuff being released at a later time, and the textures/outfits/customizations being released as soon as possible, as that is what I'd like to see most from this asset. After that, more fantasy outfits and characters (villains, creatures, etc) still rank above a combat system and shaders. As the previous poster mentioned, developers (us) can work out the combat portion --- because my concern there is that it may end up conflicting with the system I already have setup in my game. If it turns out that your's is better, then great, I'm willing to work things around to make my game even better, but what I need most are the necessities of at least the swappable outfits and customizable characters. Those are THE TOP priorities for me.

And please don't take any of this as a complaint because it's absolutely not. You've got a fantastic asset and a vision to make it even better. And that I totally appreciate. It's just my opinion, as a customer, of how your asset would better suit my needs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    theANMATOR2b, midian808 and hopeful like this.
  16. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

dear St Louis and Esenthel,

Thanks, and I listen...sales of my products are netting me less than $1 an hour, I have got to do something to turn that around. That's pretty much my priority right now. Not neglecting these products, still putting in 16 hours a day...but I need to do something to make some money or I'm in real trouble. Please understand I am not trying to scare you, but facts are facts and those are where I am at.

I have other products that I am pumping on to try to get things going, and will be released this month (military ,monsters and villains) These are separate sold packages, although I will absolutely include samples of each in the main lib.

-rungy

17. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

@SexySidekicks man, that's rough to hear. I had no idea the market was so tough because your products are much better than that. With the low price that you introduced them at, I would have thought that you'd have sold a heck of lot of copies. I'm both surprised and sorry to hear that it isn't what it should be for you.

As a word of encouragement, I love your assets and plan on making extensive use out of them with or without the updates --- but I'm really looking forward to working with your updated products. And I know I've mentioned it several times, but I really think that your character customization could be a big hit if you focused more on it and came out with a nice variety of outfits (i.e. Fantasy --- peasant, farmer, inn keeper, merchant, wealthy person, etc.) for a whole genre. You've already got a great start on several genre's in the All Star Character Collection (which I own, but never plan on using any of the outfits outside of the Fantasy category). Think UMA2 and/or MCS. You could easily have a system that will compete with these if you focus on the areas I've mentioned, and there's room for you in their targeted market because they each have their pro's and con's that have kept them from dominating that market.

As far as purchasing new assets that you release (fantasy monsters and villains), as long as it's cost-effective (I'm on a tight indie game dev budget, not a commercial studio), I'm certainly interested. As for rating your current products, I've already given the All Star Character Collection 5-stars (rated back in December) and a simple review (just posted), but will gladly update it with a more specific review highlighting all its great qualities once some of the updates are out and I can start making more use out of them. My plan is to use them for main characters (with character customization and interchangeable outfits) because they're way too hot to get lost in the background. If the updates don't get released (or are delayed in coming), I'll still make good use of them --- just not as fully as I'd like to be able to.

But don't rush your production schedule for me. I've got plenty of other things to work on in my project that I can work around your asset updates for some time. Knowing that you're working on it and that they'll be released "soon" is enough for me for now. Just keep up the good work and trust that it'll pay off in the end. But I'd consider checking out UMA2 and MCS in the asset store if you haven't already. Your products seem to be a very good fit for that market, but you're the artist (and a damned good one), so I trust you know what's best for you and the direction of your assets.

RoyS and midian808 like this.
  18. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

While I'm currently working on an unrelated mobile project, I thought I'd check in to see if there's any word on the status of the planned updates of this asset. Although I like the project I'm working with, I can't wait to get back to my Fantasy Action/RPG and work with the new updates for the All*Stars. No rush, but any word on their status would be appreciated.

19. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

gimme a few days to post some goings on. Gotta lottof stuff happening...planning to roll it all into one big update at the end of the month...the entire month is being spent on new products of which there will be samples for each in the library...lots of great stuff for all genres...stay tuned...

midian808 and hopeful like this.
  20. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing what's to come, so I'll check back for more news.

21. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

I have other data that i would like to make for UAS, but I need to make at least $800 in sales this month, and we're not even 1/5 of the way there yet.

22. hopeful

hopeful

I bet this guy has a good month. He spent 10 days making a highly detailed PBR model, which then got featured on the front page of the store. Then he cut the price from $35 to $10. So it's a sale with high visibility in the store; virtually a 24-hour sale type situation.

My guess is those ten days of work are going to pay off very well. ;)

23. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Hopeful, that guy did excellent work.
    There are a few problems with his approach.
    1) Super-limited market for that genre
    2) total sales of 40-50 copies at $7 a pop won't amount to much ($300-$500) $500/120hrs work = less than $5 an hour
    compare that to $30 an hour that he would get from a game co. he's WAY better off persuing pro work. My situation is worse, $2.50 per hour TO DATE
    3) price is not an issue with regards to unity character sales, in fact, higher is actually better....20 times better : )

Opening a business of any kind is like feeding an elephant....going into it I knew it would take time to develop and be REALLY expensive. That's business...it's not a question of succeeding but more of a question of how long can you hold out before you really get it rolling. This is true of almost any business. I've taken a full week to look at some biz tactics, other venues, rolling one dev pipe into multiple sku's , reuse of common data, co-product sponsorship, and product collaboration. IMO...there is no competition between full retail commercial dev...and dev'ing content for devs. The numbers are astronomically night and day. for E-PC's you have a potential market of 500,000,000 cutomers vs. something like 1k of "FREE" downloads a month...I dunno , you tell me...where's the better traffic statistic. I have customers who have games out there with 1 MILLION visits. From my years of experience, marketing is the most neglected of all disciplines in gaming. In any retail market...I don't care what it is...games, cars...clothing...whatever...it is said...1% of sales to your traffic is considered "Good". If your market base(potential customers/traffic) is 100 people, predict to sell to "one" if you have a good product. For 1000, the number is ten. for 500 mill it's 5 mil...even at a dollar a pop, that's way too much competation for anything I see here. I'm not dissing UAS dev, far from it...I love it very much, and there are other pro bonos for doing it aside from "sales" ...sure, you get some money for content...and you can still make games with it right? Also, you meet a lot of really cool smart people with potentials for collabarations on BIG things. I'll always do content with ASCL products...the biggest problem is finding ways of making the data serve more than just the purpose besides just UAS sales...example...If I do an action game...how much of it can I give to you guys? That's all that has been going through my head this week. I have some good plans, and at least two great games I want to blast on. So that's the plan, get some games out there and share the data with my UAS customers. Looking great...unfortunately updates are going to be slower...there's no way around that...I'll post some screens of new stuff next week of new data coming to this FIRST library at the end of the month :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  24. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

For the All Star Collection, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions prior to purchase.
    1) Are the characters all one mesh or are the cloth mesh separated from the skin mesh
    2) If the meshes are separate, does the skin mesh include the fully naked model underneath or are the polygons where the clothing covers/occludes removed
    Thanks!

25. stlouis4d

stlouis4d

Check the developer's website for details: http://www.sexysidekicks.com/details.htm

A lot of good information and graphics that should hopefully answer your questions. On a personal note @Zrexa , I highly recommend both the asset and the developer. Great quality and I found it to be everything as advertised on the UAS product page. If the updates come out as planned, it'll be a top-notch asset for sure.

26. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Zrexa, There are base "doll nudes" in the full collection as well as the Amazon and Brute 6 packs.
    They are designated A00 and B00 respectively.

news...working on morphs for facial animation as well as face shapes so the "alternate" face shapes will go away and be handled by morphs instead. Low LOD's will not have morphs for faces. Avatar system is still in development...LOD's will require a separate texture as switching LOD's using Unity's system is difficult to detect, better to just let that system do it's thing and have that 2nd texture on hand and ready for it. There's too much tracking of elements if you were to do it with just one texture. LOD tests look great, very hard to detect the switch with the settings I am using. Higher res male and female faces are looking awesome! They use the same texture space as the med res models but have 1k more tri's of detail. Rolling some other product work into ASCL Main..."Female Archers" will have a sample for ASCL...they look fantastic...probably will "stay high heeled" and very slender. Will post a few renders when they are done. Please note that "female" does not nessecarily mean human : ) I have a few more modern models, at least one will be included in the next ASCL release...may be able to get one or two more smaller character libraries done this month.

27. Esenthel

Esenthel

Hi,

I wanted to provide some feedback,

I have some experience with game development.
    And I need to tell you that textures usually end up using 90% of the game data file sizes.

Currently my project that I'm working on, has around 9 GB just in textures. If every model provided LOD's with separate set of textures, then I would easily reach 18 GB, that's insane.
    Making separate texture set for LOD's is a big mistake. Please just stick to one texture.

Also I would suggest not focusing on making LOD that much, nowadays you can easily create LOD's in tools with few mouse clicks. When I look at buying art package, I really don't care if it has LOD setup, or if it has any scripts, combat systems. I'm a game developer so I'm going to make my own systems. I can create LOD by myself in a tool, I would use your LOD only if it is better than when produced by a 3rd party tool, however if it requires separate texture set, I'm not even going to consider it.
    When I look at buying a package, I look at 3D models, texture quality, included animations.
    My wish is that you add more content, or if you need money, I would recommend creating a new package with more content.
    That's my 2 cents, thanks

theANMATOR2b and hopeful like this.
  28. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Esenthel, I agree with your stances. I ship these with high res textures strictly as a requirement from other artists. I personally use them @ 1024x512 or lower. But then I only use them for 3rd person. The need to get the separate textures for LOD's had to happen as the models change dramatically when going from 6k to 2.5k The 2.5k variants should be considered "Mobile" Those progressive mesh reduction algorythems you spoke of should still work just fine...on "most" models...but the mobile models had to have maximum quality and another texture for them. I don't do things and make decisions like that easily. On the flip side, the higher res models use the exact same texture as the mid range ones. I have been splitting my time making new "packs" and working on my own commercial venture. We almost hit the $600 quota this month for sales so...certain features from the "packs" will spill over into ASCL, and certain features from ASCL will make their way into the packs. It's an odd way to fund development but I have high hopes that it will work. The update should hit the asset store in early April.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  29. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Here's EARLY unfinished rough work on the "Female Archers" package...these are dramatically different than current ASCL female characters....like the "modern women" these will feature swappable upper and lower bodies...however...these will also feature swappable arms, hip clothing, and everything is colorizable...this is early work not tricked out or detailed at all...just working on style, basic colors and "looks"
    http://s15.postimg.org/ihr2a514b/Female_Archers.jpg

TonanBora likes this.
  30. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Esenthel, thank you for posting regarding going for one texture. I have done tests throughout the weekend with regards to keeping all the LOD's with one texture sheet. I'm satisfied with the results. It's very doable. looks great and can even share the normal maps across the entire LOD spectrum. Working on the female archers package has also illustrated a need to change UV's and texture's for fantasy characters so they can maximize atlas usage and the new LOD model scheme. there are two minor downsides to this revamp, 1) we will lose about 20% texel density....2) we will have an increase of 200 tri usage for the lower lod's. On the positive side, we get super easy component swapping, one texture for all LOD's and very easy square texture atlasing of arms, upper body, legs, and head. In fact, by squaring out the UV assignments of all those components, we can make atalsing better and easier than ever before. The tests I did involved taking two resolutions of 2048x1024 and 1024x512...the results were great. essentially, what I did was split the left half of the texture into for squares...head, upper torso, hips and legs, and arms and hands. the right side of the texture split into..head extras, upper body extras, lower body extras and weapon. So these are essentially 8 SQAURES or 8 separate textures that can VERY easily have uv's divided or multiplied to produce a 4x2 grid of 8 separate textures...this allows for very easy atlas creation/management as well as ease of authoring. think of this...say you have a weapon from another vendor, and say it has a square texture...well...if you multiply the uv's by .25 for U, and .5 for V...then add an offset for both U and V well you can pretty much link and atlas any model as a weapon without any need of model editing....just use render to texture and voila...atlased weapon. The easier 4x2 atlased texture also promotes the creation of character components and sharing of said data infintely easier than the current layout. This is the way DOTA does it. And I like their method enough to implememt it in our stuff. Only for fantasy characters though. I think that sci-fi and modern should go to a 2x2 texture atlas with upper body and arms being half the texture, lower body legs being 1/4, and head as a whole being the remaining quarter. I like the idea of having a head as one model , not head with separate hair. Really there is no need to have hair separate, this saves space and overdraw. The one problem of splitting the upper body and the lower is the waist seam. The are many designs were the waist seam is not always straight or at the same height. in the case where the waist seam is lower overdraw will need to be used in a very limited sense, just the tri's from the upper body that overlap the lower. this will only be a problem in scenarios where the clipping planes are too close and too far(very wide) my tests show 1 meter, and 1000 meters to be great and no problem(no z fighting)

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

Have you considered porting your character armor/clothing to UMA?

hopeful likes this.
  32. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Jaimi...ick....like...really big >>ick!!!<<....
    I'll post some stuff I did this week late tommorrow night...

breaking the fantasy characters into parts like DOTA 2 does is going to be a big win....first it allows for "anyone" to make texture atlases of any size or dimesions. There are a few caveats, namely not all charaters can or should follow the same conventions or atlas scheme. example: modern chararcters cannot be split up the same way as fantasy/sci fi.

the archers package is no more, it has become one of two packages....
    1) ASCL light warriors, which is essentially a 20 character component set for A01, A02, A03 and A05
    or
    2) ASCL clothing set for Amazing Amazons (which would be more limitied for female knights and mages/rogues

I'll post some screenshots of this dilema tomorrow night and let my consumers decide which would be best.

stuff is looking really great and we'll have more options than ever before if sales can support such efforts!

33. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Changes coming soon...
    work so far from this month...

TeagansDad likes this.
  34. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Those are looking great. Though I might have to wait for a sale or as that's more than I can usually spend on characters. Still great work.

35. hopeful

hopeful

All I ever want is HQ costume art and hair. :)

Edit: All I ever want is great costume art and hair. ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  36. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

So there you have two juxtaposed needs...
    one wants it cheap, and the other wants it AAA.
    As since virtually no UAS customers can afford "4 figure"($,$$$) assets, I'll stick with B+ collections...
    which has been my plan from the beginning. :)

37. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I think you sell yourself short by calling your stuff b+. It is excellent quality.

hopeful likes this.
  38. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

when i think of a+ i think of darksiders....my stuff is no where near that...it's better than a lot of stuff...but it's not a+...so i give it a b+. I know you said my new stuff is a little too expensive...but the math works out to be $15 per character...and the new system gives you the ability to mix and match components. Although it's not enough to make a whole game by itself....when the males get the same treatment...and the villain packs come out....you will have the ability to make a really fantastic RPG using just those 3 character packages for character assets. (On any platform i should also say) The roughs are done on the villains...the males will be complimentary styles to the females with about a 1/3 of non female applicable styles thrown in for good measure. Many artists make stuff for DOTA 2 and make pretty comfortable livings doing so. If there were more need on UAS, and sales to support that need I think you'd see better merchandise at better prices. The problem is if you can only make six hundred dollars for 300 hours of work, the actual ability to do more... goes away really fast, I lucked out in that I was able to string it along for a year...but now I have to face grim realities and focus on other venues. As you can see I'm not abondoning my UAS stuff...but it's taken a back seat to much more dire financial needs.

39. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

I should also note that I re-hashed the up coming clothing packs and their styles for greeko-roman-egytian, nordics and barbarians/amazons. This should make purchasing easier and cheaper with regards to product focus

40. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... having perhaps smaller packs based around a similar theme might make it easier. It's just that I'll probably only use 2 to 4 of the characters in my games out of the pack so 200 for a handful of characters would be too much for me.

Alternatively, if you had an early purchase price discount ... I'd definitely consider buying the whole thing then. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you feedback on my spending habits and spending thresholds.

41. Esenthel

Esenthel

+1 for the new UV layout, much better, it might come handy to have it stored like that.
    I can see that the textures look sharper.
    I'm assuming that on the image, left side is the old, and right is the new?
    Everything's great, except the shape of the face, I like it more on the left side.
    I think the bigger cheeks and jaw on the left look better, and the right one, has the upper lip too tall.
    If you're not sure which face to stick with, you can always upload both of them, and people can choose which one they want to use, or even include both in their games, so players can customize.
    Can't wait for the update.
    Keep up good work!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  42. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

apologies for the lack of updates, this stuff is seriously time consuming.

E, I look at this stuff all day every day...it's really easy for me to lose perspective and gravitate towards that which is new. However, I think your comment about having both is a great idea. Why settle for cake or ice cream if one can do both ! : ) I also love the new UV scheme because it is WAY easier to make content with, and the swappability features are looking great.

in other news, I believe having two versions of these packs is the way to go... standard(cheap, med/low res)...and pro (all the fancy features, clothing options, morphs, avatar options etc etc) looks like pro will be 4 times pricier than standard. Standard will most likely wind up being very much like the current quality/feature level ($50-60) whereas pro will have many more options and be more oriented towards larger publisher "site licenses"($150-$200). I really think that these "site licenses" are unfair to smaller indies. They make me have to charge more to cover expenses. I wish Unity would change the lisence to some degree to make it fairer. Oh well, I guess we'll just work around the numbers/features for now. Unity makes us wait a year to offer upgrade packs, so the first upgrade will be for the mian lib in Aug, and about half the cost of full retail for that "Pro" version for those whom may be interested.

43. Esenthel

Esenthel

I completely understand, I have the same thing. What I found what works best, is to keep some photos or 3d models nearby, that you absolutely love, think that they look beautiful, art quality is very good, etc. and just look at them. Basically surround yourself by beautiful things.

44. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... Happy to hear about the two price optipns. I likely wouldnt use most of the pro options anyway.

45. Esenthel

Esenthel

Hope you're still alive ;)

46. lofwyre

lofwyre

The art quality looks really good. If building a fantasy game at the moment the real problem is filling it with normal looking peasants, merchants, trades people, etc. Most of the models on the asset store are high fantasy with bright golden armor. There is a big need for more rough dirty looking characters (or at least clothing options).

Cheers

47. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Hello everyone, still alive and working my butt off on new data. There are updates coming...gonna be a couple of months though as there is a lot of new data coming out in new packages.

lofwyre, thanks for the good words...I do see the same need as you and others do...please be patient...we'll go through royals to peasants soon enough..most of the rough work is done...just need time to polish.

Lots of cool stuff in the works, stay tuned!

48. Flurgle

Flurgle

Do these work out of the box with mixamo?

49. SexySidekicks

SexySidekicks

Flurgle, do you have a link for Mixamo character requirements?

50. Flurgle

Flurgle

I don't, but mixamo is free as far as I know. You could try using their animations