Search Unity

All games created with Unity engine crashing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobdihi, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdihi

bobdihi

All games created with Unity are crashing. No problem with games from UE4. Cant find solution anywhere.
    My specs
    Radeon R9 270x
    I5 4960
    16gb Ram

"-force-d3d9" trick doesnt work

Games crash randomly, sometimes 2 min into gameplay sometimes 1hour into gameplay.
    When game crashes my screen locks up with a pattern on the screen and a continuous buzzing sound.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del doesnt work. PC needs to be rebooted. Its been going like this for a very long time now.
    Its driving me crazy. So many good Unity games I cant play.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. Mauri

Mauri

I'd guess that your overall system configuration is simply too old. The "i5 4690" (in case yours was a typo) is from 2014 (wiki), where as the "Radeon R9 270X" is from 2013.

However, each games' log file - which should be located somewhere under the following path - could help you with finding the exact reason:

X:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\<CompanyName>\<ProductName>\Player.log

(though this applies to Standalone games, not WebGL ones)

3. bobdihi

bobdihi

i have no problem with Unreal engine games

4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

This forum is not a support forum for game players. This forum is for game developers to discuss things.

It is extremely unlikely that you have found a bug where all Unity games crash. It is far more likely that you have an issue on your specific PC that is only affecting you. If there seems to be any pattern where certain types of games are working or not working, it is probably only a coincidence based on a small sample set. By small sample set, I mean a relatively small number of games tested by one person on one computer.

As a gamer, I have seen problems from time to time with a variety of games, including games made with Unreal Engine. For example, the built-in Microsoft Anti-malware repeatedly corrupted the PUBG install on one of my computers. I had to manually exclude that folder from scanning and then tell my Steam client to verify the local files for PUBG. That fixed PUBG on that computer. Note that PUBG is an Unreal Engine 4 game.

If you are having problems with multiple games after verifying the game files using Steam, the next step would be driver updates and such. It would also be a good idea to run MemTest to make sure your PC's RAM is still stable. When RAM gets unstable, PCs will get unstable.

5. bobdihi

bobdihi

Its not RAM as I have mentioned in my post, it only happens with Unity games. What Im talking about is the way the Unity games crash.(locked screen with buzzing sound.}. It happens with "all" Unity engine games. It doesnt not happen with Unreal engine games. Not one.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is hearthstone crashing?

7. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

You are making a generalization based on a tiny set of data. One person testing a small number of games on one computer.

Take the recommendation about RAM testing seriously. Your computer is getting to that age where RAM may become slightly less stable.

8. bobdihi

bobdihi

I can guarantee you that if I pick up a Unreal engine game I can play it without problem all day and Unity game will crash
    within an hour. Whats so difficult to understand? Why you talking about RAM? What more data do you want. Unity game crashes , Unreal game doesnt.

BonneCW likes this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why are you refusing to do any amount of testing while pointing to another set of data that has nothing to do with this?

10. bobdihi

bobdihi

I do a lots of graphics design using a CPU/GPU/RAM intensive software( Photoshop, Premier, 3ds Max, Maya) without any problems
    Im sure any hardware problem would show by now. But start Unity game and PC crashes in no time.

11. MDADigital

MDADigital

Download furmark and run it for an hour on torture setting. If it hangs then there is a problem with hardware, cooling, etc. You can also test memtest.

It sounds strange that only Unity games crash, but I still think its a hardware problem.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

You most likely have a program that doesn't like Unity. Virus scanner and firewall are easy places to start. What are yours?

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@bobdihi although I understand your frustration this is not the place to report problems with Unity games unless you happen to be the developer of the game. This is a forum for game developers.

Although the problem is undoubtedly affecting you it is not a widespread problem: all Unity games don't crash for everyone, or a large percentage of people, or even a notable percentage of people... they crash for you. Very frustrating I'm sure, but not something we can help with here.

The way to get help with this is to approach the developers of the individual games. Someone made a good suggestion above, try Hearthstone. This is very popular game made by a very large company. If you get your Unity crash issue for Hearthstone then you can raise a request in the Hearthstone forums and possibly get some resolution.

@Ryiah's suggestions seems like another good avenue to investigate.

14. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Some Unity games crashing, and some Unreal games not crashing does not imply that all Unity games crash, and all Unreal games crash. You can't guarantee that.

All Unity games crashing and all Unreal games not crashing does not imply that there is a bug in Unity. For example, It is quite possible that Unity is doing some (perfectly valid) thing that is triggering a system/OS problem, and Unreal is not. This would not be a bug with Unity.

For some reason, you are refusing to post logs or run the tests that people have suggested to you. I don't really understand how you think you are going to solve your problem if you refuse to try these things. Even if there is a bug in Unity, you would still need to provide the logs for anyone to be able to do anything.

JohnnyA likes this.
  15. MDADigital

MDADigital

What does the crash logs say?

They are found a bit different depending on Unity version, older versions put them in same folder as executable. Newer versions put them in %appdata%\..\LocalLow\CompanyName\GameName

The event viewer might also hold some info

angrypenguin likes this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Best bet is to reach out to the individual game developers. They might have seen the bug before.

Its not a known issue with the engine. But there might be some weird hardware/software/engine conflict going on with just your system. Virus checkers and firewalls are common culprits. Out of date drivers (especially graphics drivers) are also known to cause computer specific problems.

17. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

guys why are you feeding this troll. this is such a stupid post, i can't believe anyone is even responding.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah, JoNax97 and 2 others like this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Beats doing actual work. :p

19. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's a hardware failure. Especially if mouse cursor doesn't move. Dying motherboard, loss connection to HDD, SSD lockup bug on windows 10, GPU death or GPU overheat could potentially cause this.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Start checking your system for overheading issues, then go through system logs to see if anything is written there.

20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Honestly mate instead of completely disregarding everything everyone has said, why not actually listen.

1. you came here, and it was pointed out that this is the wrong forum. This is for using the engine as a developer, not for consumer games made with unity
    2. you have completely disregarded any attempts to get actual actionable data from you. Actually take some of the advice or what is the point of even coming here
    3. does hearthstone crash? It was asked and you still didnt answer. If it doesnt, its not a unity only issue. If it does, you have a virus scanner or something similar causing issues, or have not installed correct sdks etc.

Its really simple, if you come here asking for help (on the wrong forum AND website no less) and actually get help despite it being the wrong place, actually do something with the help or dont bother posting at all because you have wasted at least 5 peoples time now.

21. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

How many Unity games did you test?
    Which Unity games did you test?
    How many Unreal games did you test?
    Which Unreal games did you test?
    How many different computers did you test?

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Joe-Censored and ShilohGames like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.