Search Unity

All Compute Shaders Break On Slightly Dated Hardware

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by brilliantgames, Dec 9, 2019.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

I am the lead developer for a large open world game called The Black Masses. We released a demo for our game some months ago and have received multiple reports from users that tell us the lighting is pure black in their game.

We created our own dynamic GI solution, and it completely fails to function on some hardware(usually older hardware). This does not just apply to our GI though, all our graphics systems that use compute shaders stop functioning. We have had people report the issues using cards as new as the GTX 900 series. It's been difficult to find any consistencies in hardware, and we have only recently been able to replicate it after buying an older 660ti. The 660ti is a DX11 card, and I do not see why all compute shaders should stop functioning.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Assuming graphics drivers are up to date, I think your best route may be to submit a bug report with a minimal repro, if you can.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Also @brilliantgames best to mention what unity version and what lighting setup you have (what light types, how many, what quality settings regarding lights, whether it is baked or not etc. Others in community may know about this but the info provided isnt enough to really understand what setup you have so I expect that is why no-one has responded.