Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Alignment of 3D gameobject with 2D image

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JustAnotherRobot, Feb 26, 2021.

1. JustAnotherRobot

JustAnotherRobot

Hello everyone,

I am note sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but this is my best guess for now as I am new to Unity. (If I am in the wrong place, I'll be glad to learn how to post such a question)

I was thinking of an application that allows the user to move a gameobject and align it with a 2d picture (later a videostream) of said object in a scene. You can imagine it something like what the person has shown here: https://kusemanohar.info/2018/12/14/align-a-3d-mesh-model-with-its-image/

To test this I took a photo of a box on a table which I then imported to Unity.

I measured the box, where the camera was placed and calculated what the coordinates of the box relative to the camera (which I used in coordinates 0,0,0). I then tried to reconstruct the scene in Unity placing the camera and box in on the coordinates I calculated.

Now for the picture. I imported it in the scene but I am unsure how one would logically place it, so that wherever the box is placed by the user to align with a photo, the Box will have the correct coordinates. The coordinates don't have to be perfect but in the end I would like to get a somewhat right 6dof pose of the placed object.

However right now looking through the camera the object does not align with the reference image at all.
    One thing I don't know is how one would initally position the image in 3D space?
    I tried to modify the camera a bit, fitting the FOV and focal length to the ones of the camera I used to take the reference picture. Are there maybe other things I have to take care of?

I am unsure what I am doing wrong or if my initial approach is good at all. Therefore I would be glad about any help regarding this problem!