Search Unity

Question Aligning a skateboard to a predicted landing point?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by MELTPACK, Apr 17, 2023.

1. MELTPACK

MELTPACK

Hiya! I'm currently experimenting with a skateboarding game prototype, and one thing i noticed in the Skate games is that the player automatically aligns to the point they're gonna land on (visible right at the start of this video)

I've got a landing prediction system going, which is neat, but how do i actually align the board in such a way that it maintains the direction it's heading in? What would I use? Currently, I'm using this snippet of code when the board leaves the ground:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. predictedLandingRotation = transform.rotation * Quaternion.FromToRotation(transform.up, predictedLandingInfo.normal); //predictedLandingRotation is a quaternion
    And, during the air, I'm using this code to tilt to it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(transform.rotation, predictedLandingRotation, groundReadjustmentSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
    But this doesn't work very well. The player can't spin in the air, and it is often just outright wrong. What's the correct way to do this?

2. Turtlehellmax

Turtlehellmax

I don't know if this would work consistently or not, but I would try getting the distance of two raycasts, one at the front of the board and one at the back, and then lean the board back if the front distance is less than the back distance and vice versa. Let me know whether or not this works!