Search Unity

1. We want you to join us at GDC this year! Take a peek at all of the events we will be hosting during the week of GDC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Tell us about your experience here and you’ll get early access to the 2018 Game Studios report + more goodies.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Alex's Door System [UPDATE V1.1.0]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by alexanderameye, Mar 8, 2017.

?

What would be a fair price for the initial version?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2017.
  1. 0 - 5$

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. 5 - 10$

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. 10 - 15$

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 15 - 20$

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 20 - 25$

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thanks Marko! I'm very happy with the progress so far.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  2. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

UPDATE:
    I've built a new beta version (V1.1.0b5) that is available now! Send me an email with your invoice number if you'd like to try it out.

alexanderameye@gmail.com

edit: I am also figuring out what to do with rotation based doors. I want the whole system to make sense. This means I'll be doing some re-organizing of the system. I'll also be taking a look at future features and how I want to implement those and develop the tool right now with those in mind, so I don't run into problems when I want to implement them in the future.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

[V1.1] - Swing doors

Hello, this will be the last feature update for a while since most of the features for V1.1 have been added and the next few weeks will be mainly bug fixing, testing, refactoring and making small improvements! Now let's get to the update.

In V1.1 I will be adding swing doors or location based doors. These are a type of doors that are used in many many games. Basically the door can move into 2 directions depending on which side of the door you're on.

This is just a proof of concept right now, there is still some testing and bug fixing to do. Right now you can use swing doors by selecting them in the rotation type enum. Doing this will spawn 2 trigger zones just like when you are using looped rotations. You'll have a front trigger and a back trigger. You'll also find 3 new angle fields in a rotation block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the feature currently in action.

Please note that the whole GUI and everything about swing doors is still in early testing so things will change, but hopefully you get an idea of how useful this feature is.

Have an awesome weekend!

edit: the video doesn't seem to show up in the post so I uploaded it to YouTube.

update: I have changed the behavior of the swing doors. They now work similar to the doors that you can find in the games PUBG, Fortnite and Dishonored.

next up: the new demo scene!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. frankslater

frankslater

Nice intuitive system. I would vote for 20-25$ as well. I prefer not buying underpriced assets, so I know there will be no issues with future support due to financial reasons. So many things are way underpriced in the Asset Store.

alexanderameye likes this.
  5. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thank you! I totally agree with you. Personally this is a pure passion project so if I keep enjoying working on it, I will continue to develop it. I really love this system I created and adding features and improving it brings me tons of joy.

frankslater likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila

This is a great asset. Buying now. I had forgotten about it but we need a door system with player tags so it is perfect!

7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Thank you so much for the support Teila! If you send me an email with your invoice number, I'll send you a custom beta version if you'd like that!

alexanderameye@gmail.com

Using the beta version instead of V1.0 might spare you of some small issues when you try to update from V1.0 to V1.1 once it's released on the asset store. I changed the script organization, combined scripts and removed others and I'm still trying to figure out how to properly make the system easy to update without causing headaches to my customers. Plus, the new speed system is much much better than V1.0.

Teila likes this.
  8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

[V1.1] - New Documentation

Hello! I guess this week's update is a bit less flashy, and I don't really enjoy working on it, but it's still very important! With V1.1 I will be completely rewriting the documentation for the tool and I'll be migrating the content to github pages. By hosting them on a website, I can add changes to the docs on the fly and keep them up to date.

This new documentation is meant to be easy to navigate and contain all the information you need! Here is an initial version how the new docs will look. I just started creating these docs so most of it will change. I do like the current theme though.

[​IMG]

Have a nice weekend!

Alex

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

UPDATE
    I'd like to give one more update for this week. I've added the option to have an 'is Object' requirement in the trigger script. This condition will check whether or not a certain gameobject is in the trigger zone. This is useful when you're maybe creating a puzzle type of game. Here is the new feature in action.

I've also worked on the documentation a bit more. It is coming together nicely.
    I'll be doing some refactoring this evening and will build beta V1.1.0b6 soon.
    After this beta, there won't be that many new features added, V1.1 will be pretty much done. The only work left is some polishing, user warnings, UI cleanup, new demo scene, improved player prefab,...

After this I'll be focusing on creating promotional imagery, videos etc.

Have a nice weekend and a nice week!

Alex

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  10. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Hello everybody, I'd like to announce that Alex's Door System/Doors Pro will be on sale from November 27th until December 8th. The discount will be 20% off so 7.99$ instead of 9.99$!

With version V1.1 almost done, this is a great moment to pick up the tool. If you have purchased the tool, email me at alexanderameye@gmail.com to get a copy of V1.1!

Alex

Teila likes this.
  11. Teila

Teila

Sales are great! I already bought it and worth the price. :)

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Yeah, it's my first sale ever as a publisher. I'm pretty excited!

I'm glad you like the asset, if I can be of any assistance, let me know!

13. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

No webGL demo and no video showcasing all the features make this a no go.
    Just to let you know.

14. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I can imagine! The promotional stuff for V1.0.0 wasn't that great to be honest. Ideally I should have included a demo and a tutorial video for sure.

I am adding these in the future!

Thank you for checking out the thread!

Alex

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018 at 9:01 AM
  15. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Update - The state of V1.1.0

Hello! So here I am again with another update regarding version 1.1.0. In terms of features I have finished the swing doors system. For the rest I've been busy polishing the whole asset, adding little tweaks and cleaning up all the scripts.

Some examples:

I've added icons to some of the scripts so that they are easy to recognize.

[​IMG]

Now your doors are immediately recognizable in your scene.

[​IMG]

I've redone the icons from the Rotation Timeline.

[​IMG]

And subtle version numbers on every script.

[​IMG]

I've created a changelog window.

[​IMG]

And I've redone the icons for the support window.

[​IMG]

I've also created a preferences entry for the door system.

As you can see, all these changes are very small but they do add up in creating a pleasant customer experience.

What's left to do?

I still have to finish the documentation, create a demo scene, clean up more scripts, polish a bit further and create a tutorial video.

There seems like I'm almost ready, but it's these small things that take up a lot of time since I tend to spend a lot of time making sure everything is just as I want it. I will be building V1.1.0rc1 soon.

Thank you for your patience,

Alex

16. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Update [December 2017]

Hey! I'd like to let you know what the plan is for the coming months. For the next few weeks (until the end of January) I won't be working on the system because of irl responsibilities. V1.1.0 is completely done in terms of the actual package, there is just some more work to do on the demo scene and the promotional images.

I have also put the initial version of the documentation online. There are still some parts missing but I'm already very happy with it. https://alexdoorsystem.github.io/

V1.1.0 is set to release in February. After the V1.1.0 update, I will start working on V1.1.1 that will contain focus on adding a debug mode with angle visualizations, new trigger zone visuals etc. More info on this later.

Enjoy your holidays and have a nice start of 2018!!

Alex

Hamesh81 and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  17. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Update [February 2018]

Hello! I'd thought I update you guys on the progress of V1.1.0. Even though I'm dealing with some personal issues right now, the update is still scheduled for February (or at least the submission).

Today I started finishing up the asset for the update and as a last new 'feature' I've created an 'error detection' tool that will let you know if you've set up everything correctly. That way you can catch possible errors before even hitting play.

Here is a look at the window

[​IMG]

In the following days, I will create a demo scene, improve the player prefab, organize the folder structure and create some promotional imagery. After that it's ready for release.

Thank you for your patience, I am really excited about this update and the future of this asset!

Alex

Update: I've finished creating all of the promotional imagery and cleaned up the asset. Now I only have to create a demo scene showcasing the asset's abilities and I'll be done.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 8:59 PM
  18. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I have just submitted the update for review! Hopefully it will be accepted soon.
    I hope the release goes smoothly :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    manpower13 and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  19. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I'm glad to let you know that V1.1.0 has been accepted to the store and is live now!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/90948

Changelog:
    - Sound support
    - New speed system
    - Spherical trigger zones
    - Reset on leave
    - Completely re-written rotation code
    - Swing doors
    - Improved codebase
    - Bug fixes and general improvements
    - New demo scene
    - Migrated documentation to MKDocs

You can find the new documentation here: https://alexdoorsystem.github.io/

The documentation is not yet completely and will be updated in the coming days.

Thank you for supporting the asset!

[​IMG]

Note: If you are already using Doors Pro in one of your projects. I strongly recommend deleting Doors Pro from that project before importing the new update from the store. You will have to need to redo the set up of your doors but this should be fairly quickly.