Search Unity

Alembic point colors

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by elephantcove, Apr 1, 2021.

1. elephantcove

elephantcove

Hello, I have an alembic containing only points with color and normal information. Is it possible to display the colors (less importantly, but still desired, would be to orient instanced geometry based on normal). I'm exporting the Alembic from Houdini, if there's a better way to do it let me know.

Is it possible to modifiy the Alembic instancing shader to get this information, similar to regular geometry? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    Thanks for your message.

I am seeing 2 features requests here: Reading custom attributes for the currently supported alembic types: This is needed because colours and normals are not a part of the schema and if they anything like the mesh colours, they are not standardized across DCCs. This has been on our radar for a while, but unfortunately I cannot give you a timeline when it will happen.

The second is a better point renderer. I am not sure there are any plans for this. Since this component is fairly rudimentary, I'd imaging you could copy it, and customize it to suit your needs fairly easy.
    Meshes already support vertex colour. Would you be able to export your point cloud as a mesh (tiny triangles) and then make your own instanced renderer to "fake" the point renderer ?

Hope this helps.