Search Unity

Resolved Alembic not showing on Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'VR' started by scarscarin, Nov 8, 2020.

1. scarscarin

scarscarin

Hi!

I am trying to visualize an alembic file in VR with an Oculus Quest 2.

I have imported the Oculus Integrations and the Alembic packages, I'm running the ControllerTest patch on my VR set (and it works just fine) but once I add the Alembic file, it won't see it.

upload_2020-11-8_18-8-28.png

When I import the Alembic Package i get this WARNING

Shader warning in 'HDRenderPipeline/LitAlembic': HDRenderPipeline/LitAlembic shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    Although, I get no error on the console when I build and run, the Alembic file just doesn't appear in the Oculus.
    Any clue why this is happening?

Thanks
    Leo

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  2. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi @scarscarin, the high-definition render pipeline only supports PC VR headsets. You'll need to use the universal render pipeline or built-in render pipeline for the Quest 2.

3. scarscarin

scarscarin

Hi @mfuad
    Thanks for your reply! I built the same environment on Universal Render Pipeline but when I import the alembic package I get the same warning. Does that mean I can't display alembic files on oculus quest 2?

4. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi @scarscarin, the Alembic format is not intended for mobile platforms as it is too expensive. As such, it is only supported on 64-bit desktop platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux). You can find those requirements in the Alembic package documentation.

scarscarin likes this.
  5. jacquesfrety

jacquesfrety

Hi @mfuad
    Is it the same limitation with the Quest 3 ?

6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Yes, the quest is still not a PC platform (;
    Check the documentation

7. jacquesfrety

jacquesfrety

Thanks.
    I indeed just read in the Unity documentation that the latest Alembic version is available only on Windows, IOS and Linux :(