Search Unity

Alembic multi thread

Discussion in 'Animation' started by unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ, Nov 17, 2021.

1. unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

Hi all!

Never looked at alembic sdk doc, but do you think is it possible to write a multithreaded alembic player?

We have a project with near 50 alembic obejcts playing concurrently, but clearly it is cpu bound because of almebic proecessed one by one inside the frame time. So i was thinking about multithread, but i don't know if there are resources lock problems, or methods that needs to be run on the main thread or so.

Thanks!

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

The current implementation is far from optimal, but it has been multi-threaded a fair amount: every file is read and processed in parallel (the streamed file needs some geometry massaging to get in a format that Unity can understand).

The problem however, is that updating the scene data is single threaded (main thread).

Did you look at VAT maybe? https://medium.com/tech-at-wildlife-studios/texture-animation-techniques-1daecb316657

This technique has a crappy workflow, but if you have a single mesh per file and it is not varying topology, you might get better performance.

3. unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

unity_GhCCjBkYeYN1eQ

Oh, ok, i understand.
    Huh, VAT looks a super cool technique. Thanks, i'll take a look!