Search Unity

Alembic import not working

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by tvmonger, Sep 17, 2020.

1. tvmonger

tvmonger

Hi, I have been trying to import alembic files into my unity project without success. I have installed the alembic package from the package manager into my current project but it always give the following errors :

and

I tried with different alembic files and in different versions of unity with no luck.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    tvmonger

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

I presume you're on windows.
    Need to rule out corrupted file: Easiest would be if you could send me a PM with a link to one of your alembics so I can try to take a look.

3. VodkaDude

VodkaDude

Yeah I'm trying to import Alembic files too, but no luck
    It shows up in the inspector but when I click on the open button nothing happens.

4. jeanf_le

jeanf_le

I also have problems with Alembic.
    While it worked fine on 2019 and even if it says 2020 is compatible and tested Alembic package shows errors at import:

The type or namespace name 'SharpZipLib' does not exist in the namespace 'ICSharpCode' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.formats.alembic@2.1.1-pre.1\Runtime\Scripts\Exporter\AbcAPI.cs(383,106): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Bool' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

And many more (86 errors in total).

I tried making a new project, testing all alembic package versions.

Btw I did my test using HDRP pipeline

5. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    I think if you fix your SharpZipLib problem, the rest will go away: that class is probably used by your project and for some reason it stopped compiling (confusing unity in the process :) )