Search Unity

Akvarel effect

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Xroft666, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Xroft666

Xroft666

Hi everyone!
    Watching Diablo 3 videos, I noticed very soft akvarel painted effect scene. For example on this image...

...you can notice the effect on trees, grass, rocks... mostly on environment, 'couse personages and enimies are strong detalized. Leaving on the scene only environment objects, the picture would be like painted in 2D editor, not 3D scene.
    I'm intersted in this effect, is it per-material shader or post effect? Can it be made for Unity users?

Thanks a lot

2. Farfarer

Farfarer

It's Blizzard's art style. That's how they paint the textures.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's mainly done at the art stage, usually called "painted textures". You could do it as a post effect though. Probably the best starting point would be to use a Kuwahara filter. The more complicated painterly effects would be difficult to do, as they require the conversion of the 3d models into particle clouds, which you could do easily with DX10+ with geometry shaders, but would be very difficult with Unity as far as I can see. It would be an interesting project, though.

4. Farfarer

Farfarer

You'd never get close to the same standard of quality using filters. Just need Photoshop and a Wacom and some skill.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, of course, it was just that they asked if there was an image effect that could do something like it. It would just look like someone putting a Photoshop filter over the image, which wouldn't be anywhere near as good as painting.

OP: look up hand painted textures on 3d artist forums. For example, here's a hand painted wood tutorial from polycount: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1259024#post1259024

6. aubergine

aubergine

As mentioned above, it wont be same but you can use a post process effect which can do posterizing and bleaching together and you might get a smiliar effect.

It would still highly depend on your textures though.

unityunity