Search Unity

Games Akonus: Edge of Extinction

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by WickedRabbitGames, Feb 5, 2021.

1. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Akonus: Edge of Extinction is a Unity work in progress. It is a science-fiction/horror action/adventure game. It is based on the Eclipse Phase tabletop roleplaying game. The player is an agent of a secret organization that investigates and attempts to destroy existential threats before they destroy humanity. In the game, the player is sent to an asteroid mining colony in the Jovian system. Despite immediate setbacks, the player investigates a tangled and violent situation involving four factions. In the game, the player can choose from several ways to advance, including combat, diplomacy, stealth and hacking. The goal is to release the game for PC/Mac/Linux.
    Currently, the game is slowly approaching it's Alpha milestone.

Key Features
    • An asteroid Mining Complex to Explore
    • Multiple Endings
    • Four Possible Characters to Play
    • Choose the Faction You Want to Support
    • Voice Acting for Cut Scenes and Dialogue
    • Ranged and Melee Combat
    • Two Ways to Get Hurt! Physical Damage and Stress!
    • Hacking
    • Stealth
    • Crafting (spare parts, repairs, and upgrades)
    I am working on the game alone, utilizing a lot of asset store resources. I am using Game Creator for a lot of the coding at this point. In the following posts, I'll offer some images from the game. Please feel free to post questions, comments, suggestions and winning lottery numbers.

2. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

The Character options at the start of the game....

The body the player will find themselves in due to... circumstances! I've just started using Substance Painter to texturize models and I love the results. Kyle's never looked so banged up!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  3. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

An early look at the exterior of the asteroid mining colony where the game takes place.

4. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Early shots from the Prologue cut scene....

That's the Destroyed Building Kit asset at work in these scenes.

5. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Here's an early look at the Game Play Tutorial cut scene. It's designed to show the player the basics while sounding like the instructional video for the synthetic body. This model synth morph is nearly a hundred years old, and as you can see from the above shot, the one in the game doesn't look much like it's original self. Easter Egg: Do you recognize the nod to Kerbal Program?

6. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

Two of the NPCs the player will meet early in the game. Edsel on the left and Zeke on the right. The model playing Edsel has been sacked, replaced by something more modern that would let me tear off its legs. Zeke and Edsel were inspired by Zeke and Edsel in one of my favorite movies of all time. Another Easter Egg. Zeke, as you can see, has gotten the full-blast Substance Painter treatment.

7. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

This shot from the construction of one of the cut scenes. Here... three of the secret organizations managers are holding a conference call about the mission the player is on. Yes, that is an octopus on the screen.

8. WickedRabbitGames

WickedRabbitGames

And finally for today... the members of the Jovian Republic's Marine Recon Platoon Tiger Shark. Twenty-three of them gathered on one of the mining stations launch pads during a break in shooting earlier today. The deliberately neglected to invite the Political Officer.

These guys are based on this Mixamo model: Vanguard by T. Choonyung.

Again, totally retextured in Substance Painter.