Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question AI Model Size vs. Maturation: How to Tell When it is Done?

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by Ziberian, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Ziberian

Ziberian

I have realized that the longer I train a model, the larger the size of the
    .onnx
    model that is created at the end. But at the same time, the size of the model reaches a final size at some point. For example:
    • At 500,000 steps it'll be in ~100s of kb
    • At 5,000,000 steps it'll be 1.2 mb
    • At 20,000,000 steps it'll still be 1.2 mb
    Can I conclude from this information that the training between 5-20 million steps wasn't necessary? I understand that at a high level the more you train the better, but of course there is a time value as well since nobody wants to train a model forever. What metrics do you look at to decide when the model is "done" or matured enough? Should I focus more on if the rewards stabilized at a high value?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023