Search Unity

AI Book

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by gamenut30111, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gamenut30111

gamenut30111

anyone know of a good book for AI programming in C# or Unity Javascript?

2. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

The best AI programming book in my opinion is "Programming AI by examples " by Mat Buckland
    It is written in C++ but I dont think it is an issue to adapt the code for C#

3. rouhee

rouhee

My Favourite also! I'll recommend!

Amazon: Programming Game AI by Example (Paperback)

4. Tinus

Tinus

The 'AI Game Programming Wisdom' series is really good. The various volumes cover a lot of different topics in a very practical and easy to read manner.

If you want to go more in-depth I would recommend 'Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach'.

5. GiusCo

GiusCo

I would suggest "Artificial Intelligence for Games", 2nd edition, from Ian Millington,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0123747317/

but it is probably well above what we need for casual games (mainly finite state machines and basic autonomous agents).

I have to say that 4 months into Unity, I've lost my faith in becoming a good all-rounder: art is not for me, design scripting being my bread and butter. Nevertheless, AI can become a way to express your "artistic" side in the case your game is not bound to the realm of reality/physics.

6. Kalmak

Kalmak

The Buckland book is easily the best AI book I have found. If you want to find a few books that might be easier to translate to Javascript look at Actionscript 3.0 Design Patterns which includes a section on State Machines and Advanced Actionscript Animation which includes a section on Steering Behaviors and Pathfinding. Along with the Flash to Unity tuts I've found these sections to be easy to convert for use in Unity and they should cover most of the basic AI needs you have.

7. corax

corax

Sorry to disagree. The book is amazing (really!) but the examples are in C++. So you will have hard time to translate the code in c# xD

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  8. Clark990

Clark990

Programming all by examples and AI Game Programming Wisdom are good book. These are the highly recommended books for beginners.

9. ultraviol3nt

ultraviol3nt

Also once you've adapted to C#, shoudn't be that hard to adapt further to JavaScript or even directly to it from C++.

Right?

10. mgear

mgear