Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AGK: Action Game Kit (v1.5)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jonkuze, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes, I will be sure to Send an Email Notification to all those who Purchased Directly, and of-coarse will Update the Google Drive version.

2. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

Hi,
    i am in the process of getting something like this, but i want to make sure which to get.

i am trying to decide between your kit or the Dungeon Breaker Action RPG starter kit, price wise the dungeon is $15 dls more, but feature wise is what i am trying to compare,
    in your demos, i dont see any player advancement ie: lvl up, player stats, quests, minimap, skills,enemy AI and skills, shop, save and load, teleport.

maybe i missed those features from your demos, but in case not, are you planing to add them later on? or maybe your kit is different genre or setup that i am trying to compare apples with oranges?

cuz what i am trying to compare is that for 15 dls more there is a lot of other features i can get from the other kit. please do not get me wrong , nor am trying to make your kit less, but i just want to get the most out of my purchase,
    or maybe you are planning to add those features? or even better ones, then i think your kit may be my best option?

but if i am wrong or did not read correctly about your kit features, please correct me so i can make sure what to decide

thanks again for your patience and understanding.

3. -u1-

-u1-

Nice! now we're going to bug you with WHEN WHEN WHEN questions lol.

How about adding one more feature if possible (walk animation) since we might need it in normal non combat stages..

like always.. Thanks Kuro! we appreciate your effort!

4. -u1-

-u1-

I'm currently using the UAGK ..so maybe i can sort of answer it..from what I can tell.. that's an RPG kit and this is an Action kit .. so it depends on what kind of game your trying to make? RPG.. then yeah this might not go..but with this kit you get the option to make games like wall defense or endless hack slash challenges.. i'm currently building a game that is more of a storyline (objective) based hack and slash.. so this works fine for me..in the end its what you want and how your going to do it! Hope I helped.

5. jonkuze

jonkuze

yes this is correct, i would say to comparing UnityAGK with Dungeon Breaker is comparing apples with oranges, as -u1- mentions this is an Action Game Kit, Not an RPG Game Kit. So you will not find all of those RPG features in UnityAGK. I have Dungeon Break myself, and I would definitely would recommend it for an Action-RPG type of game. But I can't say it is the most user-friendly Game Kit in comparison to UnityAGK. I found it a bit difficult to get custom characters up and running in Dungeon Breaker and many other Game Kits for that matter. So that's why I created UnityAGK! as I think many people want the ability to easily setup Characters, and see them run around and kill things for starters! lol! So UnityAGK does offer a very user-friendly way to get started on an Action Game Quickly, but yes if you want additional RPG Features that are in Dungeon Breaker, then yes you may need to code them in yourself. I can't promise any such features for the future, but you never know.

6. jonkuze

jonkuze

LOL! well for walking you could always swap the run animation for walking and slow down the animation speed, but then ofcoarse we have the issue of will the player always walk throughout the game? Then my answer would be somehow I think the "Character Selection" may solve that... i'll explain more when I get to it, but in short summary, what im picturing is having the ability to select what character (prefab) is going to spawn on each stage, similar to how we determine the camera. So that might work, but I haven't fully figured it out yet so i'll keep you posted.

7. -u1-

-u1-

That would work if the player selection was in the scene :D (which might be a good option to change..but i feel that wold require alot of recoding to adjust your original scripts).

But yeah.. i'm going to work on doing some changes.. see if I can make it work.. but i'll let you know how it goes.. coding isnt my greatest..but i can get by ..(i hope lol)

8. jonkuze

jonkuze

9. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hi Kuroato, could you add a website based highscore? Like with php and mysql ? that way a web player game could have a massive gain. Thanks!

10. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi there, that sounds like a great idea! = ) But I think I would much rather try to find another Unity Asset that supports that, as I don't think I can really handle providing Server Side Support for that kind of thing. So maybe I could find another Asset that will work well with this Game Kit and work as a plugin. Thanks for the idea, I will definitely consider it.

11. -u1-

-u1-

Thanks Kuraoto! Was waiting for this one!

I'll give it a try and see how it goes!! :D :D

12. jonkuze

jonkuze

Bug Report! It seems there is a Compatibility issue possibly with UnityAGK + Unity 4.3.0, as Reported by a User in Review on the Asset Store. I will be sure to test UnityAGK with Unity 4.3.0 soon, and next release will probably require 4.3.0, as I think it's best to stay up to date and keep assets current along side Unity's Updates.

13. jonkuze

jonkuze

issue related to Unity 4.3, "Error: IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range."

I just tested with Unity 4.3 and solved the problem. In the Start Up Scene, Click on MAIN GameObject, Look Under the SCR_gui (Script) Component in Inspector. Notice it has 0 value for Text Font and Text Font Material! Change this value to 1 for both of them, and under Text Font make sure to click the Element 0 Slot to Select Font, and Select "kimberley bl" Font. Now Save Scene and Play! It should work now...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can confirm the above instructions fixed the problem with 4.3.

Would like to request mobile control in future update.
    Probably can be done manually (Script hacking)
    But will not be consistent with your style of programming.

Checking joystick.js script from Unity3d Penelope iPhone Tutorial for player movement instead of mouse.
    So half mobile screen can be movement other right hand side tap to shoot. Then one small button for Defend or block. Depends how complex the future updates will be. For example reload of weapons and changing weapons, Im sure you do this some time in the future, so of course it require more buttons but this is easy once one is done.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  15. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks for Confirming, and yes Mobile Update/Support is something on my to do list... So much work to do... I'll keep you posted when this will come, I do want to add this.

16. jonkuze

jonkuze

This Weeks To Do's, Stage Timer and Player Selection Feature... *Player Selection might be a bit more complex than I'm thinking it will be so no promise for that 100% this week, but you'll definitely get a Stage Timer! Stay tuned... :D

17. im

im

hi

so you will be adding character selection screen?

also when will uneven terrain / mesh be allowed for terrain, i mean there is like a* so its easy you can gen navmesh within the 4 yellow blocks that define camera area.

how can you do non square/rectangular maps. lets say map is in shape of t or cross or some complex shape. can i define more than 4 yellow blocks to define the camera area?

thanks in advance!

18. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi im, yes that is the goal to add a character selection screen!

Regarding uneven terrain, i'm not sure if I will ever add support for this... reason being is because I would need to totally redesign / recode the combat and control systems. For example targeting and attacking an enemy from ranged or close range would need to be changed to a much more dynamic system that can understand the height and position/location of the target on higher or lower grounds. This alone requires us now to also change the way we Setup our Characters... Making this a Not so Easy to Use Game Kit, because now we need to Make sure Our Player Characters and Enemies can Rotate their Upper Body to Aim Up or Down Terrains, This would Require you to probably go into each character Bone Hierarchy to Determine the Spine / Hip Bone that is Required for Rotation to get proper Aiming.... You don't want your Characters just Facing Forward and Attacking with Melee or a Gun Straight Ahead when the Target is Below or Above on Uneven Terrain.

So basically add Terrain Support is like Totally Changing the Way this Game Kit Works in So many ways... probably more ways than I can think of right now... but overall it would make Setting Up Games using this Kit Not So User Friendly, because there is Now more take into Consideration.

Regarding the Camera System, No you can't Define more than 4 Yellows Blocks/Camera Edges right now... So yes i'm sorry most stages will need to be Setup like a Square or Rectangle. If you want to create a Dungeon or Indoor Map/Stage It might be better to Use Top Down Camera Angle, or If you can doing Open World / Outdoor Stages a Third Person 45-30 Degree Angle Camera is Good here.

I'm sorry for the limitations, but everything has it's reasons... the more we add the more complex setting up a game with this game kit will be, and will fall outside of what I would like to promote this Game Kit as, an Easy to Use Game Kit. But Unfortunately Easy to Use usually means a bit more Restrictions in a way... So your probably better off with a Much more Advanced Game Kit or Scripting some Customization yourself. Keep in mind all Game Kits are Limited in one way or another...

19. peanutt

peanutt

Just wanted to add that just because the base of the map is a square or rectangle doesnt mean the playing area for your
    game has to be like that. The borders of the base map dont have to be the borders of your actual playing area if that
    makes sense.

Adam

20. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hey all, I've come down with a really bad cold this week... i guess it's that time of year. I wish I could sit in front of the computer but my head is just pounding! Can't work this way lol! anyway this will cause delay... but I'll keep you posted of the latest as always. Thanks for support.

21. -u1-

-u1-

Thanks for letting us know.

Hope you get better and thanks as always!

22. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

LOL colds down here suck. It's hard getting a cold when its still hot.

23. Mcg

Mcg

hi very cool project would it be a possible in the future to implement the a* paathfinding project? to handle pathing lots enemies moving to the same target like diablo games :) thanks

24. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes, Agreed!

25. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi Mcg, I doubt I will ever integrate another AI System into this Game Kit, I think it would be pretty difficult to do so, but anything is possible of-coarse.

Regarding the Pathing Lots of Enemies to Move and Attack same Target, I think we can do that already even with our Basic AI. If i'm understanding you correctly that is... for example if you play the first two game demos here: http://unityagk.com/?page_id=210 try running around and rounding up all the enemies, once they spot (see) you, they will all chase and target you at the same time. So not sure if that's what you mean.

26. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest Update! OK we now have a Stage Timer! were you can easily enable or disable a Stage Timer for any Stage Scene you want, right from the Inspector with a Check Box and Set the Time to CountDown. This allows you to set a Stage Objective that Requires you to Kill all Enemies or Find a Stage Portal before the Time Runs Out! Otherwise you Die and it's GameOver! Enjoy!

*Check out the Details here: http://unityagk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17#p113

Note: this feature will be part of the next UnityAGK Version Update for sure!! = )

27. -u1-

-u1-

Great update! this will add more flexibility to the game kit!!

Mega thanks!!

28. Mcg

Mcg

Sorry if I wasn't clear yeah I have the kit not had to much chance to play around with it yet but I mean in terms of local avoidance I've noticed the ai can easily get stuck on objects or other players that are in the way but I know it's a fairly complicated thing to solve :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  29. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes getting a good user friendly AI system with Pathfinding might be a complex thing, but I will take note of your request could be something I could work improving in the future for sure.

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

Next Update will be Player Selection! So we should have a separate stage scene after the start menu that allows us to choose which player Melee or Ranged Character we Want to Play with. I will try to make this flexible where you can have the ability to change characters through out the game in between stages if you want. I'll keep you all posted on this one, should be good! :wink:

31. -u1-

-u1-

Hahaha.. everytime I keep working on my project.. I have to go back to square one because now your giving me more options to improve the storyline and the gameplay!!

Thanks Kuraoto this is turning into the best investment I've made on the asset store!! :D

32. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I know the feeling lol :)

33. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I second that :)

34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

36. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi Devision4 Server Side HighScore is not currently on my To Do List to be honest, I'm not sure if that is something I will add but as always I consider all ideas, and if when possible I will add something that of-coarse will benefit everyone. Ofcoarse we can debate how each feature everyone requests will benefit everyone, of-coarse it may, but it's a matter of demand, and also my time and effort it will take to do so. So thanks for idea, all ideas will be considered based on demand and my time and ability to add it. Thank you.

37. jonkuze

jonkuze

MsEsquire, I recently received an email from another user who happens to be working on a Mobile Joystick for UnityAGK. If all goes well, he shared with me that he would not mind sharing the code with us to add to UnityAGK. I know you have posted your version of Mobile Joystick, I will try to take a look at this week, hopefully I can get my hands on the other code also to compare and see which one we should build on.

38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Cool, Excellent sounds like a good idea to me :)

39. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hey all, sorry but due to the Holiday's Thanksgiving here in the US, plus been extra busy this week, I probably won't have any Updates until next week regarding the Character Selections and Review of Mobile Code for MrEsquire and others who i'm sure are interested in Mobile Support. I'll keep you posted.

40. sirius_002

sirius_002

Hey Kuroato, seems like a nice kit, two quick questions; is there (xbox) controller support? Does it support combo's? Thanks!

41. jonkuze

jonkuze

thanks sirius_002, No there is no support for xbox Controller, and No i'm sorry there is No In-depth Combo System. Currently by Default you have a 2 Hit Combo, you can't expand it to more just from the inspector, you'd probably have to go into the C# Scripts to Edit and expand the Combo's for More Hits. The C# Script is well commented so it should be easy enough for you to find, and make the edits required.

42. -u1-

-u1-

Happy Turkey Day!!

Yeah writing code and food coma's aren't a good match lol

43. sirius_002

sirius_002

Thanks for your honesty and not just promising stuff which you might not follow up on.

44. jonkuze

jonkuze

OK time to get back to work here lol! I plan to work on the Player Selection tomorrow... so stay tuned for Updates I'll keep ya posted. ;)

45. uni7y

uni7y

Hi Kuro... great starter kit!!!
    I have only one isue with your asset and that is adding your own characer, I just don't get it to work :(
    I use this Soldier Animation Package I seen it in one of your demo's :) (http://u3d.as/content/explosive-llc/soldier-animation-package/4SA) but when I follow all the steps in your tut video and staart the game I see the character in the T pose and he can also not walk and shoot.
    $Screenshot_2.png

Do I miss something in this tutorial?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  46. jonkuze

jonkuze

Hi spot, OK so i'm pretty sure the issue has something to do with the hierarchy of how the Player is Setup. First, we need to make sure that character Rig is Set to Legacy, Second, make sure the Animation Component is on the Root of the Player along with the other Character Scripts.

the trick here is... sometimes when you get a character asset, there is a setup like this:

Parent Root Object
    \ - - - Parent Root Player Object
    \ - - - Player Model - - - etc...

* You want to Delete the Parent Root Object, and just extract and Use the Parent Root Player Object. Because if you have the Animation Component on the Parent Root Object, now there might be an issue in the Scripts where it is unable find the Rig of the Player Model in order to play those animations on. Hope this makes sense.

Let me know how this goes, if you still have trouble, please Package Up your Project in a .Zip File and Provide me with a link to Download it maybe off Dropbox so I can have a Look at your Setup.

47. uni7y

uni7y

That did the job! I deleted the Parent Root Object and voila... it was working! Thanks Kuro!!

48. jonkuze

jonkuze

No Problem, Glad that did the Trick! = )

49. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

When do you release the new version with all the new features? I don't want to manually add them :)

50. jonkuze

jonkuze

I think an honest estimate will be sometime before the end of this month. As soon as I complete this next update "Player Selection" I think we can package everything all together, test and release on Unity 4.3.1