Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Agent Subclass not working

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by Print_Hello_World, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Print_Hello_World

Print_Hello_World

Hello

I am trying to use a subclass to train a class which derives from Agent.

However, the subclass keeps calling AgentReset numerous times in the base class.

Here is a snippet of the code:
    The base class:
    upload_2020-2-25_16-47-10.png
    now the subclass that derives from this base class:
    upload_2020-2-25_16-47-55.png

When i hit run and debug, it turns out that the agent reset in the base class is called a lot of times like some sort of loop. the max step is set to zero and I do not have any Done() methods called anywhere. some help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  2. Print_Hello_World

Print_Hello_World

So i tried debugging for a while more, it turns out that almost all methods such as collectobservations, agentaction inside my subclass has the
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    trainmovementagent.CollectObservations ()

error.

is it not possible to use a subclass to train a base class that derives from agent?

this is hierarchy I'm using: agent -> base -> sub. I'm trying to use the sub class to train the base class.

edit* I've removed the subclass and attached the base class script to the gameobject and tested it using heuristic methods and it works which is a relief. However I still want to use a subclass to train instead because It is neater and my subclass script would contain all the reward systems that are not required after training.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  3. Print_Hello_World

Print_Hello_World

Hello,

So after more and more tinkering and debugging. I managed to fix it. Not too sure what I did but the base.methods work and it is possible to use a sub class to train a base agent class. thanks!