Search Unity

AGEIA™ PhysX™ processor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randy-Edmonds, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

AGEIA™ has just announced a processor that handles PhysX™ processing in order to take the load off the main CPU. This is very cool.... reminds me of when 3DFX first released the Voodoo graphics card.

http://physx.ageia.com/

It would be great if there was an Apple version, but it looks like its only available for the PC.

2. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah, have you seen the cellfactor demo, it's insane. I am curious if this just works with the Ageia engine in unity? Can we make a ton of rigidbodys publish you Pc and have this work? It would be really cool if it did. I would bet that there is a little more to using the processor though. I hope that they combine GFX card and PPU card one day, but this is still pretty new. It's really amazing though.

Bill

3. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Yes, its amazing. I first heard of it on digg http://www.digg.com/gaming/Best_looking_PC_FPS_EVER_.._The_Cell_Factor_(VIDEO)

I was proud to hear that this awesome game was using the same physics engine that Unity is using! Makes me even more sure Unity is _the_ best choice for game development.

4. Sync1B

Sync1B

I hear yah. Man I really want to know if we can just do this by publishing to pc and the pc having a physics card. I might have to get one for my pc ;)

Bill

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We will support the PhysX processor with one of the upcoming updates.

6. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

That is great news! Do you have any information on if the processor will be supported (somehow) by Apple?

7. Sync1B

Sync1B

Problem with apple machines (and always has been) is the absence of pci slots due to there all in one solution. They would have to be integrated which I doubt will happen. Also apple has been behind in the gfx department lately, the same will probably go for this. That plus the fact that mac games are minimal :( (we are going to change this!) wont help having this card on mac.

to bad :cry:

Bill

8. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

my compu sucks to much to even play that video.... I'm getting severe lag when there is a lot of motion.

from what I could make out its a really neat concept.

9. dho

dho

I was thinking about this the other day. I bet it could be integrated somehow. maybe in the new high speed card slot in the macbook.

yeah, i know. not going to happen. The best we can do is build up the market for that kindof thing by making more unity based games.

10. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Thats right, so lets get on it guys :p