Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of settlement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by virror, Feb 24, 2012.

1. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Remember, some people may just be getting into gaming, and it's easily possible minecraft is the first digging/sandbox/whatever type of game they have discovered. So of course...they are going to compare it to minecraft.

Heck...I didn't know about wurm until I saw minecraft, and I've been gaming for a long time.
    Because there are so few of these types of games out there, there aren't many to compare it to. I hope one day that will change, and the "Sandbox RPG" genre will be well known.

2. virror

virror

Thanx for the nice words guys : )
    What will make this game stand out from the other is the unique mix of rpg sandbox with the influences from rts games like stronghold.
    Currently working on a tunneling concept that so far looks very promising : )

3. virror

virror

Not a lot of work last days, crazy karaoke party last Friday (7h straight) and some anime watching the last days have made a big impact in progress : p
    Now im back on track again and working hard on the mining, hope to show some screens in the next few days.

4. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Sweet :) Looking forward to them.

5. virror

virror

Some small adjustments to the roadmap:
    • Auto patch server will be added next release.
    • More eye candy was removed from v0.4.
    • Iron mine removed from v0.5 because mining tunnels will be introduced instead.

6. darkxether

darkxether

whats the art style? blocky weapons like minecraft or actual 3d models.

7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

8. virror

virror

Art style will probably a realistic style. Not 100% decided since we don't have an artist on the team yet. But no blocky weapons at least : )

9. virror

virror

Here is a screen showing some of the possibilities with the new mining system. Still very much WIP as you can see.
    You can mine tunnels, rooms, pillars and other stuff. Torch fires were added after the screens were taken but i did not have time to remake the hallway for another shot : p
    If anyone have any clue about the ugly shading i would be very grateful : D
    Also have some artifacts from my triplanar shader i have to fix.

$MiningPreview1.png

10. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Hey that's nice looking. Nice dungeon style :)

11. virror

virror

12. virror

virror

As promised, here is the new screen showing some mining. No cheating here, its all carved out from the rock ingame : ) I know there are some issues left, like the torches are a bit inside the walls, but those will of course be fixed ; ) Also have to figure out how to best save the mining stuff when saving a game, because every blck can be cut smaller 10 times from every angle, will make a whole lot of combinations.

$MiningTest2.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  13. virror

virror

Would like to welcome "darkxether" to our team!
    He will help us out with modeling for the game to make it look a lot better than it looks now : )

Also, my girlfriend will come visit me this weekend and all next week so i will not be able to make any progress until next week, but we still have two others on the team that will continue to develop the game : )

Networking is starting to take shape, basic connection to the server is now working even though its not possible to see the other player yet.

14. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Grats on your progress so far :)
    Will players be able to mine in three dimensions aka minecraft, or 2d like wurm?

15. virror

virror

Full 3d mining of course : D
    I hope we can have a new version available soon, but it will probably take 2 weeks because of my girlfriend visiting me : p

16. Dragoworks

Dragoworks

Something to say to the Mining:
    Even if its a bit blocky right now, it will get better!
    Things as Slopes are planned, and im sure we will find some very nice Ways to atleast have it LOOK less blocky ;)

Also, like Victor already said, there will be 3 Dimensions.
    So you can Dig in all Directions. Though you shouldnt dig too deep, unless you have some ladders, and nice Equipment later on.

Greetings.

17. virror

virror

Hello everyone, we decided to release a mining wip so you guys can test it out and maybe give some feedback.
    Its still not complete, so expect a bunch of bugs. Mining depth is increased to make it easier to test and will be lowered later.
    How it works is simple: Jump down the hole and start mining, no way out though cause ladders are not implemented yet : p
    Torches can be placed and also picked up again by selecting an empty hotbar slot and clicking on a torch.
    Also the mining pick have so be selected to mine of course : )

Link:
    MineTestDemo

18. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I think you guys are on to something with your mining approach. Interesting in seeing where you take this.

19. dr.steam

dr.steam

Amazing, I look forward to complete version.

20. menico

menico

I like the menus and the day cycle looks really nice !

Here is some feedback (you probably know that but still, I will repport it to you :) )

1 ) when you mine on the stone, the terrain is going down and you can see the void through it
    2 ) you should probably add a grid or something which could help to place the "blocs" on the right spot, i found it a little hard to see where you can place a bloc

PS : tested V8

21. virror

virror

jc_lvngstn: Thank you : )

dr.steam: Remember to peek in here every now and then to try out the latest version : D

menico: Thank you for the nice words ; ) 1: This will of course be fixed : ) 2: With block you mean when placing dirt? This might be a bit tricky at first, but you will learn very fast because its actually very easy, you dig and place on the vertices of the terrain, might not be that easy on flat terrain, but very obvious if you have just a small pile or hole to start with.

22. virror

virror

My girlfriend went back to Sweden yesterday, so i will continue to work on the multiplayer part this week before we start to add more content like buildings and stuff. Basic connection and player instantiating is the only thing that works so far, and i have some trouble to get the movement syncing to work as it should, but i hope i can get it solved when i get home today.

darkxether had some problems with the computer, but they should be fixed in the beginning of the week, so hopefully we will have som new assets to show later on as well : )

23. virror

virror

Just want to say that development of this game is not dead, just a bit slow right now.
    Don't have so much extra time right now and i'm struggling to get the Networking in place : /
    We are currently looking for another programmer, check out the post in the Collaborations forum: Collaboration thread

24. virror

virror

Long time no see!
    First of all i want to welcome our new programmer to the team: levijgraham
    This will speed up the development quite a bit we hope.

What has happened since last update? A lot : )
    Currently working on:
    • Chat interface
    • Saving/loading of singleplayer games
    • Basic block building (working but buggy atm)
    • New terrain generator
    • Water and swimming
    • And a bunch of fixes and other small stuff.

Edit: Added another screenshot showing the now added sand texture, a nice later afternoon shot : )

Here is a screen of the new terrain generator, still needs some tweaking but looking good so far i think:
    $untitled.JPG

Late afternoon with sand added:
    $afternoon.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  25. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

The second photo is much better, the sand and shadows sure make a nice difference! Nice landscape also, your project is coming along very well.

26. virror

virror

The second photo is newer than the first one, so it should be better ; )
    Still a bunch of things to do before we can release the next playable version though.

27. Norton084

Norton084

Damn looks very interesting reminds me of Wurm Online, good luck!

28. Dragoworks

Dragoworks

We are really Happy that all of you like the game :)

For those of you, that dont know it yet:
    The game is a mix of Wurm Online, A Tale in the Desert, Minecraft, Terraria and whatever..
    What we really wanted is a game with a great terrain and many many possibilities...

But also, you shouldnt get lost in these possibilities and opportunities that the game gives you..
    So we want to implement stuff like NPC's and City building, to give you a general idea of what you could do.

And if i may say so.. Virror and our new member Levigraham do a very great job at that :)

Greetings,
    Frank

29. Norton084

Norton084

So there will be like crafting system, alchemy and so on? killing animals for food like wurm online? if yest that will be just epic!

30. Dragoworks

Dragoworks

Just as well as NPC villages, towns, castles and ruins. Maybe dungeons and everything..
    We just want to make the game of our dreams.. so if we think there could be some more.. more will come :p

But thats later on.. really. Right now we have to focus on the main things like basic building / buildings (we are already at it!) and the last bugs with the terrain generation.

But let me tell you.. even right now i can run for hours through our terrain and nothing looks the same.. its just sooo nice :)

31. Norton084

Norton084

I tried out the game, but really dont get it yet heh, chopped the wood but whats next? or is it just a preview of a terrain?

((the Download Link from first page))

32. Dragoworks

Dragoworks

thats actually the old version + Terrain.
    There was nothing to do but chopping wood, lol.

A new version will come soon. But we need to fix some bugs before that.

After thats done, the first way to find out would be facebook.
    We will post the new version here too, of course!

33. virror

virror

Old version is more than 2 months old, what you can do is only to dig up and down, mine stone and chop down trees : p
    Next version wont have a lot more to do, but there will be multiplayer, saving/loading and new terrain generation.
    More features will be added from the release after that and forward.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  34. Dragoworks

Dragoworks

Come on Virror ;)
    Dont be too modest!

You already implemented building halfways.. im sure you will have too much fun doing that, as that it wouldnt be in the next version *g

35. virror

virror

Just a quick picture showing the first step of block building, will not be in the next release, but in the release after that.
    Wall consists of 7 blocks, 6 medium and one small at the top.
    $wall.JPG

36. garato78

garato78

Really cool game man. cant wait to see more

37. WarpedAxiom

WarpedAxiom

I actually assume someone has helped you with this already. But just in case, yes. Yes it does...

... and it's mine now! My precious, precious local-projected triplanar shader with correct bump-mapping... I'll never leave you....

38. virror

virror

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  39. therealnoz

therealnoz

Really cool work. I'm excited to see how this game works out.

40. akumu

akumu

Very interesting project !

Now that i have some free time, i'd like to help you guys with the graphics. PM me if interrested ;)

41. virror

virror

Always interested in ppl joining : )

42. virror

virror

First screen of multiplayer action! Also shows the basic chat interface with Global and Tell functionality.

$multiplayer.JPG

43. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

It's looking really nice! Like other people already said, reminds me of Wurm Online. I love the way digging and mining works and I'm curious about how you did this :) I'm trying to make a sandbox game also and hope to get such as great results as you guys have! Keep up the good work ;)

44. virror

virror

Feel free to contact me with a PM if you have any specific questions : )
    The digging is easy, just search for it on the forums and you will get many answers about it. To get the digging to always match up is also not so hard, just a bit of simple math : p

45. virror

virror

Currently we are working with a new artist to define the settings and graphical style of the game and i must say it looks very good so far!
    The artist is very skilled and has made some amazing concept art, will post it when we have everything defined which should be around the end of next week. Maybe i will start a new thread then, will see : )

46. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Looking forward to it! Wurm has such appeal...it's exciting to see more people inspired by it and making their own worlds.

47. virror

virror

Will start a new thread soon i think with the new concept, it will be a pretty unique approach i think : )

48. djrick2005

djrick2005

Ran into this site just browseing the internet. What I was looking for is something inbetween minecraft and wurmonline. One thing that really caught my eye is that this program does not reguire java to be installed. In which is a plus for me. While as mc and wurm uses java. I have found that the java vm that these programs takes more memory at times than what the java vm defaults, which means you have to adjust the memory settings for java manually.

I am running a:
    intel(r) core(tm) i5 cpu 2.80 ghz
    windows 7 Profesional (64 bit)
    8 gigs of memory
    Nvidia GeForece GTX 550 Ti -w- 2 gigs of vidio memory
    two monitors (one a 26" sanyo hdtv <main> and a 18" Gateway pc lcd monitor <secondary>)

running: AoS_win008.rar

I have very little knowledge on codeing or makeing my own programs. I'm no expert and although it's been a long time now. I still consider myself a noob programer. I have little experience with visual studios 2008 (vb, c#, c++) so to help out the best I can I'll tell you my experience with the program.

Hope this helps you on debugging your program and finding ways fixing the errors.

I liked the initial graphics overall in the game, The ground is not made out of blocks like mc and landscaping looking like a billboard like the trees in wurm. I've noticed that a 24 hour day/night period lasts 7 minutes and 11 seconds. <day 4:25, night 2:26> . Is there a way for one to raise or lower the 24 hour time period?

The tiles are hard to see expecially digging or chipping away at rock. There is no tile border or outline, so it's a bit hard to flatten out a area via dirt or rock. Talking about the tiles. I noticed that they are triangler in shape than square. like mc and wurm's tile are. Is there a specific reason for triangular tiles?

Getting on the highest spot (mountain top or hill top) and looking down the horizon, although I have all my graphical settings on high and the quality setting on ultra high ( in which my graphics card can handle) that there is like a blue out line of the horizon.
    example:
    Although this pic was taken at night. I kinda figures to snapshot it while I was thinking about it.

Traveled a long way from spawn point to see how big the land is, no end, no water (ocean, rivers, lakes). I did run into one map bug though.
    as I was traveling I noticed a blue line, first thought was map border, but as I got closer It ended up being see through. Then again as I get closer it looke like a long line trench. I could jump over it and continue traveling or walk into it and fall through the map.
    examples:

With all this playing around/testing. The game crashed once. Windows said that the program stopped responding and crashed and needed to be closed.
    I pulled up info from my event viewer to show.

Questions: I know that programming something like this is time comsuming, but is there a site to get the updates?
    Are you going with client side program and a server side program for those who would like to host such a server?

With all that I have seen so far, This program looks promising and hope that it stays alive. Hope with the info I have posted will help.

Thanks for a well done program so far. Keep up the good work.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  49. Fundead

Fundead

Wurm Online was a great concept, and in the same vein this looks cool as all hell.

50. caldrin

caldrin

This is looking good will keep an eye on this for sure :)