Search Unity

Age of Settlement (reborn)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by virror, Jun 27, 2012.

1. kmskazka

kmskazka

Hut model wip

$hut11.jpg

2. DerpIncStudio

DerpIncStudio

I love the hut model :)

3. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Very nice hut model...I like the style.

4. MickM

MickM

Great to see you are back on deck with this! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

5. virror

virror

Hey guys!
    I know you didn't hear from us for a long time now..
    This is because we both have so much stuff in real life, that we can't find the time to work on our game full time...

To change that, i started to greenlight our concept on steam:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177178094

That means, the game itself won't be greenlit since it is not in the state to do so.
    But you CAN help us if you get everyone you know to like it there and approve the concept. If we can get enough votes, we might get a publisher that takes interest in the game and will give us the funding needed.

Thank you for all your support, help and interest until now!

6. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

so this means development has stopped until you get a published when you have gained enough votes?

7. georetro

georetro

Damn..... Well, good luck guys.

8. virror

virror

No, we will continue working on it anyway, don't worry : )

Just tested the game with my Oculus Rift i got yesterday, and WOW.
    Looked so damn good if i have to be honest : p
    Especially the mammoth looked really cool, but all stuff looked very nice : )

9. virror

virror

Hello gang!
    Sorry for the lack of updates, but most of you probably know there are a lot of ups and downs when developing a game : p

Lately i have worked really hard on implementing all the network functionality and its actually been going really well. Did a switch to Photon a few days ago and i must say it was a really good choice, the switch was super easy and the extended functionality is really nice and the automated NAT-punchthrough works so much better than in Unitys solution.
    So far around 80% of the features now have working network functionality and i expect the last few things will be completed during next week. After that we will run some internal testing to get most of the bugs out of the system before releasing the long delayed alpha demo : )

10. Rubber Bounce

Rubber Bounce

Nice concept! I am looking forward to see some in game art :) Good job so far.

11. virror

virror

There is a bunch of screens all over the thread showing some different things : )

12. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Wow, very awesome i like it, keep up the good work ^^

KirbyRawr

13. virror

virror

Thanx : )

Networking has now been implemented for all stuff currently in the game.
    Need to make some tweaks, fixes, change the character model to something not so ugly and then do some bug testing. After that i will release a demo : )

14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I will throw this, maybe it helps you like it did with me: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/459765/tree-chopping-script-issues.html
    Good luck with the game :D!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  15. virror

virror

Its now decided we will release a demo version of the game next Friday for you all to test and give us some feedback : )
    After that we will hopefully be able to do regular demos with the latest cool stuff : p

Right now im working on character customization using the UMA framework, which is awesome.
    There will be a "body mode" were you customize the body and a "face mode" were you customize facial stuff.

Body mode
    $CustomisationBody.jpg

Face mode
    $CustomisationHead.jpg

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It's going better and better, nice one ^^.

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! =DDD

18. kmskazka

kmskazka

19. janpec

janpec

Cool project there guys, it looks like quite similar in gameplay aspects to Stone Rage. But thats good i have always wanted to see projects in that era.

20. virror

virror

Never heard of Stone Rage before, but it look a bit more "cool stone age style" than our game : p

21. meidel

meidel

@Virror , very nice work! looks like your project is starting to take shape ! Getting to a demo stage of development is a great milestone * claps *

22. virror

virror

Update on the character creation, looks a bit less modern now : p

$Creation2.jpg

23. MickM

MickM

Glad this is still ticking over... looking forward to the demo. How is the demo looking gameplay wise? (ie. Just the world and character creation/animals/gameplay etc?)

Good stuff regardless!

24. primus88

primus88

Slowly the pieces start coming together.
    Nice changes you did to character creation.
    If you are at it, I would recommend some changes to the way the character looks like.
    Our ancestors had a bit more hair and their skin wasn't pink/white :)

I would recommend taking a look at the character in www.thestompingland.com/‎.

25. virror

virror

I know its not really optimal atm : p
    Just using the default UMA assets at the moment, that will of course change with time.

26. virror

virror

27. MickM

MickM

Damn - was looking forward to this but when I run it, it just shows a black screen.

(Win 7 - i5-3570K 3.4, NVidea GTX Titan)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  28. virror

virror

That suck, wonder why, cant reproduce it here on my machine : /

29. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

It works for me, well, kind of.

The mammoths seem to like walking on their side... Also the inventory is quite confusing (especially that the mouse movement is still enabled when opening the inventory, very annoying). When i went into a submenu (weapons for example) and press i to hide the inventory, then open it again, I can't choose any of the submenus anymore. They just dont respond. By clicking the right mouse button it resets it and I can click on the menus again.

After throwing a spear, I have no idea how to collect it again, any hints? (btw, they throw incredibly inaccurate)

Oh, and suddenly a Lilliputian with a solid body and tiny tiny head came running towards me. Scared the cr*p out of me.. Is that meant to be a tribe or something? :p It kept following me or walk ahead of me.. kind of creepy.

Other than that, looks decent :p I don't think the terrain is procedural anymore is it?

30. virror

virror

Mammoth sometimes fall over : p
    All gui will get a total makeover now that i bought NGUI, its all very temporary atm, i know its crappy : p
    To collect a spear just click on it when its on the ground, or craft new ones.

Haha, that lilliputian was probably another player that joined your server : D
    You can uncheck the "Public" checkbox if you want a private experience : )

31. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Downloading i will comment when i play it : D!

32. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I did, people could still join apparently...

33. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Haahahaha a mammoth felt on me.
    I'm going to suggest you some things:
    -First, 360 look in character creation.
    -Second, the inventory is a bit strange, i didn't understand it at all, and when i want to choose something, the mouse go up or down, it will be cool if you can freeze the cursor when the inventory is open, or clamp only y axe.

But hey it's a very cool demo, the movement is very natural.

Keep it up ^^

34. virror

virror

wasstraat65: I discovered that the variable that sets public was not really connected to anything, that's now fixed : p

KirbyRawr: 360 look? You can rotate character using the arrow keys, that's what you mean?
    Inventory is not strange, its very strange : D Something i slaped together and will be replaced with something more proper : p

Btw, what did you guys think of the concept of the inventory with having submenus? Good, bad, stupid?
    The thought was to make it easier and faster to grab what tool, resource you needed.

35. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

My bad, lol i mean something like in borderlands 2 where you can rotate the character camera with the mouse.
    For the submenus i don't really know, maybe it can be awesome or maybe not, but it's your game if you think it's good the player will get the controls easy.

36. virror

virror

Ok, yes, i guess ppl expect to be able to rotate with the mouse : )
    Thank you for your feedback, new version is coming along great, new GUI will be a huge improvement : p

37. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I'm pretty curious about these things ^ ^,

38. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Nice :D

About the submenus, the way it is currently implemented was kind of annoying (which annoyance was amplified by the mouselooking not disabled)
    Best would be to have different tabs at the top, including a tab for all items, weapons, tools, misc etc. (btw, remove those tabs that don't contain any items of that type and display them with an icon)

39. virror

virror

40. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I want to test a new version soon ! ^w^

41. virror

virror

Most GUI work is now finished finally!
    Have been working on re-implementing the health/hunger/thirst/temperature system.
    -Low hunger and thirst values will affect your health making it drop slowly.
    -High temperature will make you more thirsty.
    -Temperature are affected by a number of factors including the global world temp, how close you are to a fire, clothing and so on.

42. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Nice features, the temperature system will be affected by rains, wet clothes, etc..?

43. virror

virror

Not atm, but tt would be easy to add that later since its only a matter or reading the current weather type : )
    The plan is that seasons and weather will be a lot more than just cosmetics : p

44. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Perfect, then it will be like my system :)

45. virror

virror

Getting closer to the release on the alpha2 demo. While it wont contain loads of new features, it will be a lot more stable and bug free compared to the first one. Pre-work has also started on the alpha3 release which will bring a lot bigger changes as you can see on this teaser screen:

$terrainTeaser.png

46. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Nice Terrain, it's modeled in third party app or in Unity, and it uses special shaders or normals?

Keep it up!

47. virror

virror

This screen is from WorldMachine but i have it imported and textured inside Unity as well.
    Final result will look really nice but atm its still in early proof of concept stage : )

48. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

It looks very good ^^

49. virror

virror

Image time again!
    This time its an in-editor screen from Unity, still WIP though, terrain is still very low res (4x lower thn final) and texturing also not final.
    Don't forget to look in full size : p

$TerrainWIP1.jpg

50. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

At the moment is very cool, if i can suggest something is rocks as meshes, it can be very good.

Also the textures of the rocks, i think you suffer this too; when you are near they are very detailed but when you are far they are like nothing, and it's not related to the anitroscopic it's related to the tiling.

Keep it up!