Search Unity

TextMesh Pro After update, TextMeshPro components no longer available

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by plmx, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide a screenshot of how the font looked before vs. now?

Also where can I observe that in the project you already provided?

In terms of generation settings, you should typically aim for a Sampling Point Size of 72 or above with padding of 10%. By default I normally use 90 Sampling Point Size with padding of 9. The atlas size is a function of the number of glyphs you need to fit in there. Most of the time, you want the atlas to be a maximum of 2048 x 2048.

2. Texashawk

Texashawk

Ah. Well, my point size is like 320 - is that too high? That's probably why - the padding is way too low for the point size. I'll try to adjust that. Thanks!

3. Texashawk

Texashawk

OK, that fixed it. Guess I didn't understand the relationship between padding and point size - thought 5 - 10 would always work. Thanks!

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Sampling point size between 72 to 120 works well for most Latin based glyphs. Rendering quality at lower sampling point size really depends on the specific font visual design. Interestingly, Asian based glyphs still render nicely with sampling point size as low at 32 to 36.

By default the Dynamic SDF mode uses 90 with padding of 9 for 10% ratio which is good for everything.

Unless your target output is something like a PDF document, a sampling point size of 320 is excessive. Good news is that you will be able to reduce your texture atlas size down to 1024 x 1024.

I would suggest updating your font assets to use a more reasonable sampling point size and padding. Make sure that all your fallbacks use the same ratio of sampling point size to padding. Keeping this ratio the same ensures visual consistency in regards to outline thickness, etc. So if the primary is using a sampling point size of 90 with padding of 9. The fallbacks could be using a sampling point size of 60 with padding of 6 for the same 10% ratio.

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Back to the previous topic, be sure to check if the issue could be the result of using a Canvas Scaler which can affect text rendering. It should not be potential bugs can always creep in.

6. Texashawk

Texashawk

Hate to necro this thread - just updated this project up to 2019.3.15f1. Everything is great except for the same issue I had last time with everything being out of whack alignment-wise. There is no longer a 1.5.1 for me to go to that fixed the issue, is there some other way to get my original alignments back ? There are now over 2,000 TMPro objects and fixing them by hand is not a realistic option as far as time. I have tried to use 2.0.0, 2.0.1, and 1.4.1. Nothing gets the alignment back.

Thanks!

-Steve

7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The latest release is 2.1.0-preview.13 which should handle the alignment correctly.

8. Texashawk

Texashawk

Actually, I found that I could view the preview builds (they were set to hide for some reason when I upgraded the editor) and I just went back to 1.5.1 preview 1 and it worked fine. Is there any reason I should use 2.1.0 preview 13 otherwise? Thanks for the reply!

-Steve

9. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Some of the Unity API has changed between 2018.4 and 2019.x where as such you should be using version 2.1.0-preview.x which is for Unity 2019.x.

In terms of the preview, I would recommend using Preview 13 as this is the most recent release to make sure everything works as expected there since the next release Preview 14 is likely to become the verified release.