Search Unity

TextMesh Pro After update, TextMeshPro components no longer available

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by plmx, Aug 1, 2017.

1. plmx

plmx

Greetings,

I have installed TextMeshPro (already the free version) a while ago on a pre-2017.1 Unity version, and am using it in my project (DLL name is TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b9.dll). Now I have recently upgraded to 2017.1.0f3, and today I noticed the MissingMethodExceptions that were reported here, i.e.

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.BeginAnimatedCheck'.
    2. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_BaseShaderGUI.DoColor (System.String name, System.String label)
    3. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_SDFShaderGUI.DoFacePanel ()
    4. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_SDFShaderGUI.DoGUI ()
    5. TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMP_BaseShaderGUI.OnGUI (UnityEditor.MaterialEditor materialEditor, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[] properties)
    6. UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.PropertiesGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/MaterialEditor.cs:1459)
    7. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    As the issue report says the issue was fixed in 2017.1, I went to the asset store and updated/reimported the latest version of TextMeshPro (today, ie. version 1.0.55.0b11).

Unfortunately, now all TextMeshPro components in my scene no longer show up; in the inspector of the GameObjects, the script is missing (display as [X] Nothing selected) - and with them, all my settings, text, etc.

I also can't add new TextMesh Pro components.

This problem survives a Unity restart, and rebuilding the entire Library.

Am I missing something here? What can I do to a) keep the components alive in the scene, and b) add new ones without errors?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. plmx

plmx

I solved this by creating a new project, importing the version linked from here, then deleting the entire TextMeshPro folder in my actual project, and copying over the new folder from the new project.

This both kept the existing components intact, and no longer shows the MissingMethodException.

Note: I did not manage to upgrade my project using either Asset store version nor the linked version. I also noticed that in a new project, the asset store version still shows the MissingMethodException, while the linked version does not.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The release for Unity 2017.1 is not available on the Asset Store since at the time of release there was an issue with the Asset Store tool preventing uploading of packages for Unity 2017.1. This is why I provided the link in this forum.

When upgrading to a new release of Unity like 5.5, 5.6, 2017.1, 2017.2, you also need to upgrade the release of TextMesh Pro as most major releases contain API changes which are addressed in new releases of TMP.

As per the Release and Upgrade Notes, when upgrading to new version of TMP, you need to remove the previous package first by deleting the "TextMesh Pro" folder. This is required since the Asset Importer is not an installer and can't handle files that should be removed, renamed, etc.

When upgrading, always make sure you backup your project first as well as any files you may have saved inside the TextMesh Pro folder as well as very the settings in the TMP Settings file, Style Sheet and Sprite Assets in case you made changes to any of those.

plmx likes this.
  4. plmx

plmx

@Stephan_B Ah I see, then it was a double confusion on my part; sorry about that, and thanks for clarifying! I will keep the update procedure in mind from now on.

Stephan_B likes this.
  5. junglemason

junglemason

I'm still lost. No matter what I try, the existing instances of TextMeshProUGUI get disconnected from the scripts. If I try reconnecting the component, my old text and settings are gone, and my existing font asset cannot be selected. Was using Unity 5.6.1f1, upgraded to 2017.2.0b11. Was using paid TMPro, tried importing the new non-deprecated version and this still happens. I delete the original before importing. What else am I overlooking?

Edit 1: I finally noticed the bit that told me to NOT use the new thing in the Asset Store and instead go to the old forums to find the source code version. I'll give that a try...

Edit 2: Yup, that did it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I wish I could make that *** Important Note *** flash to spare users from running into this.

Like the note said, due to the process of creating dll's changing GUIDs, this results in incompatibility between the free - non-source code and the paid / source code version of TextMesh Pro. Although these GUIDs can be converted back and forth, there are no benefits for paid users who have access to the source code version to switch over to the free non-source code version.

As I have stated in several posts, I will continue to provide support and updates for the paid version via the TextMesh Pro user forum as I have done over the past several years. Once the new integrated version of TMP becomes available, we will then look at transitioning everyone to the new thing. Until then stick with the paid / source code version :)

Vitalify_bc and junglemason like this.
  7. junglemason

junglemason

Way too much medium roast for me yesterday. Good for waking up, bad for attention span! ;-)

The TMPro transition is not a painless one, for sure, but I appreciate all the hard work! Your success is well-earned.

athan_unity785 and Stephan_B like this.
  8. garraeth

garraeth

Trying to upgrade to 2017.2. I bought TMP years ago.

Steps I'm taking:
    --install 2017.2 (do not open Unity once it's done - I also tried opening it and deleting the TMP folder from my project - same outcome as this)
    --delete /Assets/TextMesh Pro/ from my project via Explorer
    --double click "TextMesh Pro - Release 1.0.55.2017.2.0b12 (dll only).unitypackage" - gotten from the sticky thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/tex...ation-download-link-for-2017-1-2017-2.458634/. It opens Unity.
    --click my project to open it
    --It asks if I want to update my code to the new version. I say yes.
    --Import the new TMP
    --All my TMP couplings on all my text objects in all my objects (prefabs and all UI elemnets) are all gone with the message "[X] Nothing selected".

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go through all (Several HUNDRED!) my text and re-do with the "new" TMP? Doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks.

9. garraeth

garraeth

I also tried what @plmx did: "I solved this by creating a new project, importing the version linked from here, then deleting the entire TextMeshPro folder in my actual project, and copying over the new folder from the new project."

Didn't work for me.

update: got these sorts of errors: "Assertion failed: Failed to unload 'Assets/TextMesh Pro/Color Gradients/Light to Dark Green - Vertical.asset'"

"Assertion failed: Failed to unload 'Assets/TextMesh Pro/Resources/Fonts & Materials/LiberationSans SDF.asset'"

"Assertion failed: Failed to unload 'Assets/TextMesh Pro/GUISkins/TMPro_DarkSkin.guiskin'"

"Assertion failed: Failed to unload 'Assets/TextMesh Pro/Resources/Sprite Assets/Default Sprite Asset.asset'"

"Assertion failed: Failed to unload 'Assets/TextMesh Pro/Color Gradients/Yellow to Orange - Vertical.asset'"

etc...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  10. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

As per the Release and Update notes, before importing the new release of TMP, you have to first remove the previous version by deleting the "TextMesh Pro" folder. Be sure to back up your project first as well as any files you may have saved in the "TextMesh Pro" folder. Also review the TMP Settings file in case you made any changes to it.

Make sure your are importing the correct version of TextMesh Pro for the version of Unity you are using. If you are using the free / dll version, you can tell what version of TextMesh Pro you are importing by looking at the names of the dll included in the "TextMesh Pro/Plugins/..." folder. The names on the dll will be something like "TextMeshPro-1.0.55.xx.0b12" where the xx is 56 for Unity 5.6 or 2017.2 for Unity 2017.2.

If you are using the free / dll version, it is possible those dll were loaded when you performed the update and as such you could get some errors just after the import of the new package. However, these will go away upon closing and re-opening Unity.

If you still have any issues following these instructions, please let me know.

11. garraeth

garraeth

Stephen thanks for the reply. Yeah, like I said in my original post:

--install 2017.2
    --delete /Assets/TextMesh Pro/ from my project via Explorer
    --double click "TextMesh Pro - Release 1.0.55.2017.2.0b12 (dll only).unitypackage" - gotten from the sticky thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/tex...ation-download-link-for-2017-1-2017-2.458634/. It opens Unity.

I pay for Unity and had paid for TMP. No free versions of anything.

Today I thought maybe if I upgraded from my current 2017.1.0f3 to 2017.1.1 it might work (vs going straight to 2017.2.0), but got all the same errors and the "[X] Nothing selected". I made sure to use "TextMesh Pro - Release 1.0.55.2017.1.0b12 (dll only).unitypackage" too (for Unity 2017.1).

What other info can I give you?

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The reason you are having this upgrade issue is because you were / are using the Source Code / Paid version of TextMesh Pro but importing the DLL only / Free version. Due to how the DLL creation process works, the GUIDs of these two versions of TextMesh Pro are completely different and thus not compatible with each other.

Since you have purchased TextMesh Pro in the past, you will need to get the updated version of the source code version of TMP from the TextMesh Pro user forum where I continue to provide support and updates for it as I have done over the past several years.

You will need to register to the TextMesh Pro user forum and as part of this process provide a copy of your invoice number for the purchase of TMP. The invoice number of all assets you have purchased from the Asset Store are available by login into your Asset Store account and going to the Credit Card / Paypal tab where you will find invoice numbers for all your previous purchases. Note that you may need to switch to the older version of the Asset Store in case, you can't find this information in the new store account tab.

Once your account has been approved on the TMP user forum, you will find the latest releases of TextMesh Pro in the "TMP - Alpha, Beta and Final Releases" section of the user forum. Latest releases are always sticky and indicate which versions of Unity they are for.

Please send me a private message once you have registered on the TextMesh Pro user forum. This way I will be alerted and will get you approved right away.

13. Jovaan

Jovaan

Updated to Unity 2017.2.0f3. I was able to update TM Pro with method described: delete TextMesh Pro folder and import new version from asset store view. BUT: When compiling to Android, the Canvas-based texts vanish! I can momentarily bring them back by modifying font asset material color and pressing esc (!), then all texts become visible. But it will not last - on next play on editor they are gone again. They are visible all the time in scene view, just not in Game view in Editor or target Android machine. What am I doing wrong?

14. Jovaan

Jovaan

For some reason it appears that with font asset I am using, the Canvas renders fonts behind normal graphics. Render mode is set to Screen Space- Overlay which makes this even more curious. All the other elements on canvas are rendered on top of screen as they should, only TMPpro texts not. I was able to bring texts to foreground by adding separate UI camera and rendering them via that, clearing depth before render. This is not good obviously, I'd like to know why are TMPro texts rendered using depth buffer even when canvas is set to screen space - overlay.

15. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Is this something new that you are running into with the latest release or something that you have not observed before?

Is this only on Android?

Can you provide me with a simple repro scene / project of this?

16. cheezorg

cheezorg

I have a similar issue.
    2017.2 and the correct matching version of TMPro from the Asset Store.

TextMesh text renders in the Editor and on an iOS build, but does not show on an Android build.

EDIT FOLLOW UP:
    Nevermind, it must be something else in my project causing the issue. I built an empty test project and it worked as expected on Android. Really strange that my broken project works on one platform and not the other though. When/If I find a solution I'll post back here in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Take a look at player settings for those platforms as often texture compression, graphic API, split binary, etc. can result in issues on some platforms or even different devices.

18. cheezorg

cheezorg

Split Binary was the culprit. App has a video in it which pushed the APK over 100MB. We're not at the Play Store submission stage yet so unchecking Split Application Binary solved it. I had no idea TMPro asset would get lumped in to the extension file, but hey, it's working now! Feel kinda dumb for not catching this off the bat - but hopefully my comments will help someone else in the future.

19. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Glad the culprit was identified and everything is working now :)

20. Stijn2097

Stijn2097

Hmm, cheezorg, didn't really have his issue fixed, only postponed.

Stephan, did you ever find out what the issue with "Split Application Binary" and Text Mesh Pro is?

I saw a post from a while back at http://digitalnativestudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=1527.0 where someone reported it as a unity bug #905515 but I can't find it in the issue tracker. Wondering what happened to it.

I'm getting a nullreference exception in the first scene. The .obb was not present, if it is there is no problem, but we want to show text before downloading the obb file. This happens on the awake of a Text Mesh Pro component:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2.   at TMPro.TMP_Settings.get_defaultStyleSheet () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at TMPro.TMP_StyleSheet.get_instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at TMPro.TMP_StyleSheet.LoadDefaultStyleSheet () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

21. Injektd

Injektd

Did anybody ever figure out a fix to the split binary issue? I haven't been able to get TMP working when using split binary.

22. StanislavL

StanislavL

Reproduced on 2017.1.2p2 :( Crash on empty scene with Text Mesh Pro component.

@Stephan_B need help!

23. StanislavL

StanislavL

@Stephan_B steps for 2017.1.2p2:
    1) Create new project
    2) Add canvas
    3) Add TextMeshProUGUI component
    4) Enable Split Binary in PlayerProfile
    5) Install only APK

Result:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.   at TMPro.TMP_Settings.get_defaultStyleSheet () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at TMPro.TMP_StyleSheet.get_instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at TMPro.TMP_StyleSheet.LoadDefaultStyleSheet () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

24. Tomurtogu

Tomurtogu

TMP cause crashes if Split Binary is checked.
    I reproduced the issue on Android, Unity 2018.2.
    Did anybody figure out this?

25. Tomurtogu

Tomurtogu

@Stephan_B need help, can't update my game due to this unsolved text mesh pro issue.
    Text Mesh Pro from Package Manager, version 1.2.4
    Unity version 2018.2
    Split binary checked
    Platform: Android

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    2. E/Unity   (17401):   at TMPro.TMP_Settings.get_defaultStyleSheet ()
    3. E/Unity   (17401):   at TMPro.TMP_StyleSheet.get_instance ()
    4. E/Unity   (17401):   at TMPro.TextMeshProUGUI.Awake ()

26. Tomurtogu

Tomurtogu

I solved the issue by adding TMP Settings, Font Asset, and Default Sprite Sheet Asset to Preloaded Assets in Player Settings.

27. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I need to look into what specifically causes the issue with split binary to see if I can get around the issue without the user having to take any action.

28. Stijn2097

Stijn2097

At the time I took a different solution (for other reasons besides this issue) by not using the "Split APK" option from Unity, but now I'm forced to reconsider again.
    Having tried it again, I just noticed that Text Mesh Pro is attempting to load objects from Resources which are put into the OBB as well. (as mentioned in the Unity documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.4/Documentation/Manual/android-OBBsupport.html )
    By making an object in the first scene that references the files in the "TextMesh Pro/Resources" it does work. This is similar to AaronSaron's solution. I'm not sure if this causes asset duplication though (that the files are included in both the main APK as well as the OBB).

29. Texashawk

Texashawk

Is is possible to register on the legacy TMP forum? I'm trying to get a legacy version of TMP (trying to upgrade from .5.6.5f but having a hell of a time with the package manager simply not appearing in Unity 2018.4.10, so I can't get the new version of TMP) So for now I'm going to go 'down' to 2017.4 and get that version stable before giving it another go. But when I try to register it says 'registration disabled'. What can I do?

-Steve

30. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The Legacy versions are not longer being updated and registration to the TMP forum is no longer possible.

What specific issues are you having in migrating from 5.6 to 2018.4?

Are you following the steps outlined in the sticky post at the top of this forum about this topic?

Although there can be some potential snags in the migration process, there is not a single project that could not be migrated thus far and I am certainly here to help.

31. Texashawk

Texashawk

Well, the good news is that I finally got the package manager to show up (it was a tortured process involving cleaning out the Unity Cache which finally did the trick) and everything imported in, but it looks like I somehow lost all of my pivot/layout data - every single TMP object now has the pivot point in the middle of the prefab, so everything is to the right of center of the object! Guess I'll just have to manually hand-fix it. Frankly, I'm surprised there weren't more issues.... Thank you for the reply!

-Steve

32. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Glad you were able to resolve the Package Manager issues.

There is an issue with version 1.4.1 which was fixed in version 1.5.0-preview.1 which is current available via the package manager. Upgrading to the latest release should resolve the alignment issues.

33. Texashawk

Texashawk

Oh thank Jesus you wrote back. I have over 1,100 unique text objects in the UI/tooltips. You saved me days of work. Did the update and it worked like a charm!!!

Stephan_B likes this.
  34. Texashawk

Texashawk

Well, spoke too soon. It did fix all the alignment issues, but it caused the game to crash super hard (lock in editor screen; had to reboot) when it tried to move to a new setup screen. Made absolutely no changes to the code, Rolled it back to 1.4.1 and it worked fine again (but with the alignment issues unfortunately) Maybe it was because I had started to manually fix the elements and then upgraded? Not sure.

35. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you please submit a bug report with the project as you have it in 1.5.0?

I realize this can be a pain to deal with but it be most helpful as I would like to take a look at the conditions of that crash. Please include the step to reproduce the issue.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  36. Texashawk

Texashawk

Sending the report now. Do you think I should roll back to 1.4.1 and just fix everything manually or look for a fix in the next day or so? It would be about 8 hours of work to manually repair all the alignment/anchor issues.

37. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

As soon as you get the email back from Unity with the Case #, please provide it to me.

Stick to the latest release. Assuming I get the Case #, I'll take a look at the project later today / tonight. Once I know the cause of the issue, I'll be able to provide better insight on the next course of action.

38. Texashawk

Texashawk

Yeah, I've tried 3 times to send a bug report - it gets to 100%, then gives me a error window saying 'Connection Closed'. I never got a confirmation email from Unity. Question: does the error report need the entire project folder? It's 7.8 GB - that might be causing an issue.

EDIT: Third time's the charm, apparently! The case number is 1188867. Thanks for anything you can do!

-Steve

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  39. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

That project size should be fine as I have had projects submitted in the upwards of 60 gig.

If that doesn't work, you can always zip up the project. Perhaps remove the Library folder which does increase the size overall. Upload that to some private place and send me a private link via PM.

40. Texashawk

Texashawk

Did you get the case number with my edit? 1188867. Thanks!

41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I just did ... I'll take a look at the project this afternoon and provide feedback as soon as I have more information / solution for you.

I should be able to resolve this today. I will most certainly keep you posted.

42. Texashawk

Texashawk

Thanks!

-Steve

43. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Just letting you know that I was able to download / open the project and able to reproduce the issue.

The issue is related to the use of the text overflow mode ScrollRect which I wasn't sure was still used by anyone. So that answers that...

In the latest release, there is no specific implementation for this ScrollRect overflow mode which ends up causing an infinite loop due which I am trying to reproduce in a simpler case to be able to provide some code changes that could be done easily and not require having to wait for a new release.

Back to the use of this Overflow mode, can you provide more insight on your use of this mode?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  44. Texashawk

Texashawk

I probably don't need it at this point, that was probably from several years ago when I was much less versed in how to use Unity. Are you saying that if I remove/adjust to ellipses or something different, all of the overflow ScrollRect elements, it will work with 1.5.0?

45. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Yes and since you were not using that mode for any specific reason, it might be a good idea to revisit what Overflow modes you have set on those text objects.

Alternatively, you can make the following changes to the source code in the Global Package Cache which won't require you make any changes to the project.

upload_2019-10-4_23-8-29.png

I will be re-evaluating this Overflow ScrollRect mode to see if it still has any reason to be.

46. Texashawk

Texashawk

Thanks Stephan! I fixed the ScrollRect mode and everything worked fine. I did get this error however on entering a character name and using Input Field - it worked, but it threw this error. Just FYI:

Code (CSharp):
    2. TMPro.TMP_InputField.OnEnable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.5.0-preview.1/Scripts/Runtime/TMP_InputField.cs:1022)

47. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Since I have your project already, can you provide me with the steps to reproduce the above error?

48. Texashawk

Texashawk

Sure. When you go to step 3 of setting up a new game - naming your House - when you click on the text entry field to name your House the cursor gets huge (double the size of the box) and at that point the error is thrown. Again, it works, but thought you'd want to know.

-Steve

49. Texashawk

Texashawk

One more question: What are the best settings for creating a font? I have been using auto point size, padding 5, 2048 X 2048 atlas size, Distance Field 32, and the rendered fonts still look terrible. What other settings have a positive impact?

50. Texashawk

Texashawk

The same settings on the prior version look fine, but I can't seem to make a font look good (non-pixelated) in Unity on 1.5. They look great on the atlas, but they don't look at all good in the actual editor or game.