Search Unity

After assigning 16x16 color pallete to a material albedo, only 1/4 of those colors are available.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Majorr, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Majorr

Majorr

There is an easy way to create 3d game models using only one color palette as a texture for all of those objects. It works fine with smaller color palettes but recently i've decided to add more colors for bigger variety. What i found out is that after attaching 16x16 color pallete as a jpeg or png to material albedo it only fits 64 of those colors out of 256. Is there any way to change it? Color palette is basically a small image where one color is one pixel in size. I've tried to change settings but nothing works or im just to blind to see something that could fix it. Sadly this cause objects to change theirs colors and it looks terrible. I know that lighting can change alot when it comes to low polly but lighting is not the problem here.

2. bgolus

bgolus

I’m guessing in your project’s quality settings you have the texture quality set to half resolution, because otherwise you have all your import settings correct. The next step would be to disable that texture’s mip maps under the texture’s Advanced import settings rollout, as for this use case you don’t want mip maps anyway. ... as well as set your quality settings to full resolution.

Majorr likes this.
  3. Majorr

Majorr

Sorry for not reaching out earlier (was a little busy testing urp and hdrp). Thank you for your amazing reply it helped and now everything works fine. Quality was set to full res but turning off texture mip maps solved this problem.

Once again thanks :).