Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback after a year new design is ok but still less readable than the old one

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Mar 4, 2021.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

after nearly a year using this new design I notice that it's worse for productivity in some instances and better in others.
    where it's worse:
    activation:
    upload_2021-3-4_12-53-6.png
    particularly noticeable on physics debugger, both in data density and contrast
    popup menu: their contrast is the same as a field and is confused as such
    upload_2021-3-4_12-56-18.png
    vs
    upload_2021-3-4_12-56-23.png
    slightly lower data density: font is larger
    the hierarchy isn't as clear due to icons polluting the visuals, uness one uses uContext
    upload_2021-3-4_12-58-9.png

where it's better:
    hover highlighting
    fields contrast
    font choice is more readable EDIT: after testing back and forth, nope. Verdana is far more readable so I switched back - I know you guys are option shy so thanks for that option.

overall it's not the best but not the worst, effort should be made to make popups and activation more obvious and we have a winner,

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Ruchir, Rennan24 and JesOb like this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

another big step back for the new design: object reference in fields.
    They are near invisible in the new design due to the new icon design
    upload_2021-3-9_20-24-41.png
    in contrast, the old design was very easy to spot which one are filled
    upload_2021-3-9_20-24-32.png

Ruchir, mahdi_jeddi, JoNax97 and 2 others like this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Regarding fonts, I noticed that Verdana is much more readable
    I know you guys are option shy at unity so thanks for that option, unfortunately its implementation is mediocre as you can see because the vertical layout doesn't adapt. It might not be doable due to field height.
    upload_2021-3-9_20-39-22.png

Ruchir likes this.
  4. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Laurent, thank you so much for taking the time to share that feedback with us, it's very helpful.

I have to agree with most of the points you're bringing up. There's inherent issues with a pure material design approach and it's probably why we're observing other emerging UI design trends such as Neumorphism, which are brining back some styling elements to enhance depth, volume and overall readability. Like you pointed out, it goes beyond pure atheistic considerations when it affects productivity and we're paying attention to this.

Regarding the fonts specifically, would you mind sharing your screen resolution and operating system?

5. Ramobo

Ramobo

How about some colors, for one? The only gripe that I have with the new GUI is that it's too bland.
    • Accent color option; "System setting" as the default option. Some places to apply it are checked checkbox backgrounds (solves the first issue highlighted in this thread) and everywhere that the Unity-4-default-skybox blue is used, such as the selected window and selected inspector property highlights.
    • What happened to the custom title bar in the 2019.3 mockups? Unity still uses the system one.
    • "System setting" Editor theme option as the default.
    (Side note: Who's responsible for the forum's unbelievably S***ty bullet point list editor? It's best to just remove it and tell us to use indent and `Alt+7`.)

benoitd_unity likes this.
  6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

That's good to read.
    A balance exists away from -isms that embraces the best aspect of each trend.
    You guys have a couple people from Softimage, I'm sure they'll like to share a few story of how they made the GUI, this is Neumorphism at its best. But as compelling to artists as the GUI was, it also lacked information density and channel-box like ease of use.
    Screen res is 1440p and it's on Windows 10.

benoitd_unity likes this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

another one I just noticed: the way selected items in an array is higlighted
    squint:
    upload_2021-3-15_11-22-14.png
    easy:
    upload_2021-3-15_11-22-30.png

8. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

I checked this in dark mode, and it looks ok. I guess it's because of the light-blue on dark back ground that makes it easier to set apart.

9. TieSKey

TieSKey

Well, that in itself sounds like a problem, from an engineering perspective. "Trend", almost by definition, means following just because. A lot of software jumped into those trends and delivered inferior UIs over the past.. 10 years?
    By what you say, unity did exactly this, jump into the material train even if it wasn't bound to where you wanted to go.

The good way to do engineering is looking for "principles that exist for a clear purpose and can be applied (or not) or adapted to each solution".

Sorry for the rant, it's clear that you already realized all this and are working to make it better.
    Thx to the OP for reporting so we can all enjoy the improvements.

10. Ruchir

Ruchir

I thought I was the only one not comfortable with the new UI design :oops:

But yeah these changes have led to a lot of human error in my projects and to more frustrating hours figuring out what I didn't set properly :(

11. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

That's a fair point. For one I don't believe they become trends for no reasons. Often, not always, they gain adoption because it solves a problem or provide value. We believed material design helped with decluttering and provide a content-first experience. We took the time to evaluate how it could be applied to the editor and improve its usability, it was not a question of jumping on a trend. I'm not suggesting it's what you're stating, just providing some context.

Overall I believe it's an improvement over the previous iteration but we acknowledge it introduces some regressions, which we aim to address.

Cheers

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

This seems to be an ongoing effort which is great and I must say that I really appreciate you guys fixing the modal popups, I nearly ported the project over to 2020.3 just because of it.
    (layout and account are still eating a mouse click, btw)

But...
    If decluttering is an ongoing priority then why did you add clutter to the search bar?
    Let's look at the regression:
    2017=4.7 simple and to the point, love the X boundaries and purpose so clear
    upload_2021-3-19_15-56-59.png
    2020.1 new package filter eats up space. I never used it before and can see some cases where this can be useful but I don't think this is the right place because we're only interested in packages when we scroll down to the package group so I think the better place is right of the package group.
    upload_2021-3-19_16-8-50.png
    2021.1 added an expand button which takes up a lot of space, gets in the way of pressing the X, is inconsistent with the rest of the UI (they're always tucked in the ... menu) and is redundant with ctrl+k ... that's a lot of negatives
    upload_2021-3-19_16-7-0.png
    I think the focus got lost here. If you want to push a function on the user, making it an option would show better consistency with the decluttering goal ... and also caring for those who don't have a 30" screen or work on a laptop.

Ruchir likes this.
  13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes I would love to disable the open in search button in preferences.
    I tend to click it accidentally

laurentlavigne likes this.
  14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So do we have to hope a readable and usable trend comes along because the Unity UI team is only able to chase trends instead of just making things look good and readable and usable?

Neumorphism looks a lot like XSI did decades ago, and I’m pretty sure the “trend” wasn’t around when they designed XSI, and yet they were able to make it look that way.

laurentlavigne and Ruchir like this.