Search Unity

Affordable and Optimal Hardware for Unity ML Agents Training

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by hendrikodito, May 19, 2020.

1. hendrikodito

hendrikodito

Hi creators,

Thank you so much for creating this amazing tool for us to use. I am currently enrolled in a master of Architecture program and I have decided to use ML-Agents as my main driver for the project. With this new devotion, I am expecting to upgrade my machine.

I have read that ML-Agents do not require GPU even training could be done by only the CPU. I have some questions regarding this:
    1. Would a better GPU in ML-Agents than running it on the CPU? I am expecting myself to upgrade to NVDA RTX 2070 Super with AMD Ryzen 5 3600/
    2. Since the training option is binary: GPU or CPU, would that mean I could just invest in one CPU better than having a better GPU?
    3. What would you suggest for me to upgrade, or, maybe for the good for all, you could suggest any specific combination of hardware for a range of budget?

I am currently using a laptop with Intel 6700HQ and NVDA GTX 960 M and all my simple agent training ran pretty well so far.

Thank you so much!

2. mbaske

mbaske

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  3. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

I set up ML agents with GPU (1080 gtx) with almost no effect. GPU support seems to be poor at this point.