Search Unity

Affinity Photo vs Photoshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrewNCode, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

So, I just heard of this paid one time photoshop alternative. Do you guys know how i works? Have you used it? I'm not an artist, but I want to know more about this new rising application that is "fighting" against the Adobe monopoly :D.

So, bottom line is: Have you used it and how it is compared/differed from Photoshop?

makaka-org likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am assuming it works inside of a computer. :p xD

3. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I've started to run across the name but I don't know much about it. I currently get Photoshop for free with my Lightroom subscription.

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

There is a free trial link at the bottom of their webpage, might can just you know - try it? lol.

angrypenguin and derkoi like this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've used Affinity Designer and Photo pretty extensively. Photo is... alright, but honestly, it has some issues with its toolset that makes me want to recommend GIMP over it unless you're using it for illustration purposes. Even against Photoshop it's kinda hard to recommend because Photoshop is like $15 a month now and just such a powerful toolset.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. ippdev

ippdev

Looks like a really good app. And you can own it for 50 bucks. I am sold.

Ony likes this.
  7. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Like I said. I'm not an artist (seriously, I made an abomination trying to recreate a Shinx). For me, at this time in college (Learning Unity, Unreal, 3D programming, mathematics, a game ev project for college, and Blender) putting effort on learning one more thing that I REALLY need to get an acceptable result, is beyond my scope right now. That is why I need opinions from people who have used it to know before if I should buy (ilustration and design are things that I would love to do at least acceptable, but first I'm a programmer for a GOOD reason xD.)

8. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

How is designer in comparison with illustrator?

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've found it to be pretty fantastic, and unlike with Photo, its feature set feels much closer to Illustrator's and its interface is super familiar coming from Illustrator. It has some places where it needs a few QoL improvements (sometimes it feels a bit too easy to accidentally click on existing elements when trying to place a shape or path) but other than little things like that I've found it to have more than paid for itself over the last few months.

10. Martin_H

Martin_H

Just buy it and support the fight. But don't expect it to have anywhere near the featureset of Adobe's equivalent tools.

Do you happen to know how it changed compared to where it was around the time of the windows beta release? That's when I tried it and I've found a few too many things missing from Illustrator for me to switch. And I don't even like Illustrator as a program. Don't regret the purchase though, I think the company is well worth supporting and I hope they'll catch up one day.

11. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Thanks for the reply. Do I need a tablet if I want to do UI/UX with it?

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm afraid I've only been using it on the Mac primarily and Windows within the last 3 months or so.

I've been doing everything with a mouse, though I can say with certainty that I'd rather be using a tablet for some things.

13. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

mmmm... I'm really bad at drawing or doing any freehand thing with the mouse(I'm left-handed but I use the mouse like a right-handed person and my drawings are horriles because of that. also, my drawings are horrible in general xD). Maybe I should get a cheap tablet, then.

14. techmage

techmage

Ive been using affinity photo, I like it.

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Looks pretty good. If I didn't have a photoshop subscription already (plus using krita which is free) I'd probably go for it.

16. neoshaman

neoshaman

I use krita and inkscape, that's good enough

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I like it a lot. I have been using Designer for a couple of years now, and as an illustration it is fantastic, a nicer/smoother flow for straight up illustration. It doesn't have nearly the features that Illustrator has, and doesn't have a good production tool set/flow that Illustrator has, so I end up using them together quite often. Though if I am purely doing illustration, I prefer Designer, for UI & production, I use Illustrator. I haven't tried Photo, I am sure it is a decent app, but... photoshop.

18. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

So Krita for illustration and Inkscaper for designing? I already downloaded Inkscaper but I have krita lying there because I'm not an artist.

19. neoshaman

neoshaman

Krita can draw normal and flow map natively, that's the major reason I picked it

dadude123 likes this.
  20. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

krita is really nice
    especially if you're into handpainted stuff
    the realtime tiling mode (wraparound mode) is awesome for tiling textures

for vector graphics i use vectr, easy to use and gets the job done

if you're not an artist and don't want to work as an artist, i would not subscribe.
    if you want to work in the field, then you obviously need experience with industry standard tools, that's a different story

21. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Tried the demo and it was good, plan to buy both it and designer when i get some money.

22. Sailendu

Sailendu

Affinity Photo is awesome, the file type of Affinity Photo .afphoto should be added to Unity just like it supports .psd files. That will be an awesome feature for Unity.

There is also a page in Unity feedback here:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/affinity-support

Please consider adding this to Unity.

havokentity and makaka-org like this.
  23. LillyB

LillyB

Photoshop is much more interesting rather than using affinity photo. I like to use photo all the time.