Search Unity

Aesthetics of connections between different materials/textures

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by sir-Gio, Apr 8, 2021.

1. sir-Gio

sir-Gio

1.jpg 2.jpg
    When different planes come into contact with each other the line of contact is usually razor sharp, which looks very artificial. For example, a wall on contact with sand, a boulder on contact with earth, a pedestal on contact with sidewalk. In reality, there is some darkenings, dirt, scratches, mould, leaves, dust, etc. on the wall or stone, leaves gather around a puddle. How do you approach this ?
    The following solutions come to mind:
    1) I don't bother with it, it doesn't matter in the game, it requires too much work.
    2) I prepare detailed textures in Gimp/PS with "dirt" (or download them from the internet), place them precisely on objects e.g. in Blender and then export to UNITY.
    3) I use an addon such as EasyDecal from Assets Store and cover the wall with "dirt" downloaded from the internet (png files with transparency)
    4) I use PolyBrush package where I can locally paint over one texture with another texture.
    5. the Ambient Occlusion function gives darkening at the corners and that's enough for me. In the Post Processing package I can even set the color of this darkening.
    6. I use some other addon or method.