Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Advices for Factions Combat based on members stats

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by RemDust, May 17, 2022.

1. RemDust

RemDust

Hello all ! :)

I'm playing with the idea of building a sort of management game where you would have to build a Faction (or you can think of a deck) and fight other factions. The combat would be just a "mathematical" simulation though, not a real time gameplay.

This faction would be composed of 10 fighters with basic stats, for now let's say Attack / Defence / Health

What would be the first steps for simulating a combat between 2 factions ?

I see 2 main different approaches :

- simulate 10 fights for random (or "match-made") 1v1
    - simulate 1 fight for the team, calculating before the fight a team stats based on their members.

Please, tell me what you think and if you already think about pointers or games that could help me shape this a little bit better ;)

Cheerz

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

you can make either way work.

Probably best to try and work backwards from the results that you want. How much consistency and predictability do you want in the result of each battle? What ways do you want to be able to test and tweak the gameplay in order to make it fun?

From there it will be easier to figure out what parameters you might need, and then from that figure out how to connect it all together.

The principle is "backwards planning." I dunno if there is programmer term for the idea, probably there is but I dont know it.

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I just call it "planning". It's almost (?) always best to start with a clear idea of where you want to end up, then figure out what you need to get there. Which gives you a new, closer goal... figure out what you need to get there. Until you reach stuff you can already do.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

IME, if you try to build out details towards a vaguely defined goal, IME you'll end up who knows where and probably have done a lot of work that doesn't move you towards the goal.

If you start by defining the goal as clearly as possible, then asking, "what is necessitated by this?" for each detail of the goal, then just keep working backwards like that, you end up with a plan that more often plays out like you'd expect and gets you to your goal within expected timeframe.

It's a pretty major difference to follow this method for planning versus just sitting and thinking in an unordered way. I mean if you have tons of experience, and you can conceptualize the whole project in your mind, you could probably be productive. But if the project is bigger than a single mind can hold and there is uncharted territory that you need to identify I think there has to be a proven method to the planning if you want it to be fruitful.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Exactly.