Search Unity

Resolved Advice on "Mesh can not have more than 65000 vertices" error

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Abended, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Abended

Abended

I have created a little floating canvas that I use in VR to pipe out info from the debug log, I'm limiting it to the last 10 lines of the log. I am only using it for my purposes, it would not be an in-game feature. I keep hitting these errors as using the standard UI text stuff. I was wondering if I converted this to textmeshpro if that would relieve me of these errors, but is it worth it to add the textmeshpro package to my project? I don't currently have any UI in my game for the players. I intend to use actual meshes for player interaction in VR.

2. halley

halley

TextMeshPro is a no-brainer. It's been included for years and is robust. Honestly they should just toss out the stock UI text rendering in favor of it.

3. Abended

Abended

@halley Thanks, I've already converted it (way easier than I thought!), and I guess I already had the textmeshpro package in my project. I had thought I'd removed it. errors gone!

4. dpoly

dpoly

TextMeshPro is horrible if all you want is to display plain text longer than 200 lines or so. It's a heavy duty install, requires code changes, does not come with a mono font, defaults are wrong, colours are weird, does not support enough characters, and in my testing still cuts out at around 4000 lines. I'm prepared to do extra work on paging just to avoid using it.

Develax likes this.
  5. halley

halley

I thought this thread died back in 2021, but guess not.

I can't fathom who would want to have more than 200 lines of text in a single object in a Unity application. For what, your team credits scroll? Break it up, cull the sections outside the frustum, set up your own fonts, do all the things that any text-heavy application like Word or Scrivener also do.

MousePods and BABIA_GameStudio like this.
  6. dpoly

dpoly

Script for a puzzle game, logging output, text-heavy games, licence, Ts&Cs, the README, help text, text generated by GPT, chat app, the list is endless. Just plain, simple, boring text, or should be.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...

7. halley

halley

Not one of those things would I have ever considered including IN the game as a single text object.