Search Unity

Advice on legal issues of recreating a old game for android.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhasan229, Jul 30, 2021.

1. rhasan229

rhasan229

Hello,
    I dont know if this forum is the right place to present my question but i am gonna do it anyway. Forgive me if its inappropriate.

So there's this old game called Magic Farm Ultimate Flower for windows, made or published by meridian93(i think not 100% sure). I dont know if it was a popular or well recieved game . But me along with my brothers loved the game growing up , i believe i played at least a couple thausand hours on it. Looking back i imagine that game would be really good for android. I have started to learn making android games on Unity, and since this game does not need a lot of resources i believe i can recreate it with relative ease.
    The question i have is will there be any legal problem if i want to publish it on play store? I want to preserve every detail so i dont want to change names or mechanics to become a generic clone instead i want to faithfully recreate it. Any advice or opinion would be great and really appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

In general:
    1. You cannot rip and use any assets or artwork from the original game.
    2. Generally it would make sense to make a different title, in case the original one is trademarked (doubtful in this case, as this seems to be freeware).
    3. You ARE allowed to make a clone, however.

Basically, if you want to preserve EVERY detail and truly RECREATE it, you need to contact the original developer for permission, otherwise you might end up infringing original's copyrights, which may or may not result in a lawsuit.

You ARE allowed to copy mechanics, however, and you ARE allowed to make a generic clone.

3. rhasan229

rhasan229

Thank you a lot for the thoughtfully response . I will keep these in mind .

neginfinity likes this.