Search Unity

Advice on creating Multiplayer "presentation"

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MrPure, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MrPure

MrPure

Hi there!

Since I´m very new to the network part in Unity i need some advice on a project that we will eventualy be starting.

We are doing simulations of vehicles and want to be able to "demonstrate" these products in a Virtual Showroom. eg. A demonstrator starts a server and a couple of other "clients/customers" join in to watch the demostration, they cant drive or do anything exept navigate around the scene in 1st person view, and watch like a spectator mode.

What is best and easiest, is it to use Authoritative Server Approach or Non-Authoritative Server Approach?

We are using alot of physics....

My second problem is that our clients/Customers are behind big bad corporate Firewalls which means as far as I understand that they probably cant host a server.... And to make it worst it looks like that have blocking of outgoing data which means that they cant even run clients!!!

So how do we solv this?

We have tried the networking examples, but they cant connect or even see that we have started a server.

Should we skip the Master Server approach and go direct connection?

Or what Ports or restriction do they have to open up in their Firewalls to beable to access our server?
    What does Unity Network server need to work?

Thanks a lot for any answer!!

/Daniel

2. Der Dude

Der Dude

Hey,

using the MasterServer should ease the process of making a connection, since it enables NAT-punchthrough.
    What your clients need to have changed in their network is beyond me.

Since the clients don't have any impact on the physics at all, you don't need any concept like authorative or non-authoritive. These concepts are of importance, when many players can impact the same object at once.
    You only need to send the current positions/rotations of the physic objects in the envirnonment and make the clients interpolate these positions/rotations.