Search Unity

Advice on avoiding seams between blocks in a block building game

Discussion in 'ArtEngine - Archived' started by DromoDesigner, Oct 21, 2021.

1. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hello, I'm creating a game where players build tanks by putting together blocks.

I am creating the blocks in ProBuilder and Blender, and texturing them in Substance Painter.

I would like to add some variation to the blocks, and I am adding details using the normal and height maps for the material. However, this gives a tiling effect when the same block types are put next to each other, and a bit of a noticeable seam between the blocks.

I read that ArtEngine can help with seams, but I have not used it before. I've just spent time learning how to use Blender and Substance Painter, so before I jump into learning ArtEngine I wonder if someone could tell me if it would help with my tiling and seams issue?

Thank you for the help!

2. Eoghan_Asset_Manager

Eoghan_Asset_Manager

Unity Technologies

Hi there! here's a good video you to the Seam Removal feature for bricks -

You can always download the 30 day trial and give it a go to see does it suit. Seam Removal and tiling textures is one of the things ArtEngine does best. Let us know if you have any issues.

3. DromoDesigner

DromoDesigner

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I tried a different approach, which seems to work. For anyone in a similar situation, I decided to make a triplanar mapping shader, which projects a texture from all sides over the object as a whole. This meant that all the blocks were covered in a single texture, so the seams between them did not show up. I used Unity's shader graph to do this, as it has a triplanar node ready to use.

However, I think your suggestion will be useful for me for other aspects of my project, so thank you again :)