Search Unity

Advice Needed To Create An 3d Editable Car Model

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by tcscorp, Sep 18, 2017.

1. tcscorp

tcscorp

I'm New To Game Development But I'm Serious About It And I Want To Make A Car Racing Game For Android Platform.
    I'm Using Blender For Modelling And I Want To Create A Car Such That Each Part Of The Car Can Be Replaced With Another Part In The Game by Selecting Another Ready Made Part That I Will Make And Add To The Game.
    Like Engine, Wheels And Every Part Like Doors , Bumper etc.

It Should Be Fully Customizable So Where Should I Begin To Build This Type Of Car? Do I Have To Make The Models Of All Spare Parts Then Attach Them To Each Other To Make The Car And Then I Would Be Able To Easily Replace These Spare Parts With New Spare Parts Instead Of Building a Model Of Car Then Attaching New Spare Parts ? If Yes, Then How? And What Unity Can Do With This Type Of Car? I Mean any Pros Or Cons? Thanks So Much!

2. mleeuwen88

mleeuwen88

I would recommend ussing pivot points around a base object such as a frame or invisible cube.
    Then write a script that will attach chosen item to correct pivot point.

Name all pivot points to custom positions.
    Tutorials around customizable clothing are roughly the same as what your goin for.

I think the best way is to model all custom parts seperate, give all parts the same scale and center point.

Im no pro myself

tcscorp and Schneider21 like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome. First, as much as I don't like to pick on people's writing style, the title case is preposterous. Just wanted to get that out there so my eye can stop twitching. :p

@mleeuwen88's advice is solid. Game development is all about fakery. So while you may have all these different car parts in the game, really, a car is just a big box. That box moves around in a specific manner, and swapping out parts will affect how it moves, or how it looks, or something, but the core remains the same.

My advice to you, as someone who has a tendency to get drawn into the details of fun parts while foregoing the big picture, is to forget all that stuff for now. Focus on making a box move around the way a car does. Then make some other boxes move, too, and make them race on a track. Then you can get into the whole customization thing.

Unless you just want to make a car dress up game, of course.

Good luck!

tcscorp likes this.
  4. tcscorp

tcscorp

Thanks For Your Help

5. tcscorp

tcscorp

Thanks I will do my best