Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Advice needed on first game production, SAUCERS

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Crawdad, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad

So, I'm getting pretty close to releasing a demo for my first ever game. I'm stoked to have gotten this far, and it's been possible in no small part to all the help I've received on this forum. That being said, the closer I get to release date, the less I've realized I know about how to market my game.

I published my Steam coming soon page about two weeks ago. I had read that if you haven't received 150 wishlists in the first 2 weeks, something is wrong with your presentation. I've received a whopping 11 *facepalm. Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd be very appreciative of anyone who is willing to take a quick glance at my page and give me their impressions. Basically, what works and what doesn't. If the game isn't interesting to you, why? Is the trailer bad? Are you confused by what the game premise is? Does it just not look like fun? Does the art suck? Literally any feedback will be helpful. Much appreciated.

Link to Steam Page.

2. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

looks good to me, at least the graphics, etc etc . . .

it looks a bit generic, ie. it's more over the ' type ' of game - stuff, than the story, characters, or what's perhaps interesting about the stuff, think perhaps this had been more interesting : " Jeff Placeholdername has been lost from his group of interstellar explorers, and has drifted in space for several months, supplies are running low, just as all hope is lost the anomaly - radar picks up a feint, however intelligent signal, and hints of supplies, fuel, and shelter . . . "

it's more interesting to follow some characters, than just getting another bland ' genre - style ' intro, however perhaps that's not important, etc etc . . . . :) :cool:

Crawdad likes this.
  3. Crawdad

Crawdad

I gotcha. Give a bit of backstory to set the theme. Good idea. Thanks for the feedback!

4. koirat

koirat

Backstory is unimportant for your game don't waste your time on this if you don't have to.
    Or with your game, but other fact is that indie games generally don't get wishlists from unity store page.
    (until their product is big already)

You have to bring people to your steam page from outside.

I wish you the best but you have to be prepared for the worst it is very very hard to sell indie game.

Crawdad likes this.
  5. Crawdad

Crawdad

Yeah I suppose I expected as much. I mean, I knew when I started that the odds of making a living off of selling Indie games was slim, so the journey kind of needs to be the reward, but it would be really disappointing if it was a total flop. I've been trying to work the social media angle, but honestly that kind of stuff is not really in my wheelhouse. Thanks for the input.

koirat likes this.
  6. WakingDragon

WakingDragon

It looks like a great game! I am no expert on stuff like needing 150 wishlists (I don't even use the wishlist function).

I can tell you a bit about marketing from a general perspective though.

Firstly, it lacks the top 1-3 emotive hooks that will pull people in. "Roguelike" genre, tech trees, etc are just functional things and not what people want to FEEL. If you game is about mayhem and mass destruction then make it clear to people what they are getting.

Second, I want to know about games that are like the games I like. If its like survivor.io but more AWESOME or CRAZY then say so, then I can purchase it knowing that it will be like the game I like.

Third, pump up the language and use more exclamation marks. "Choose your loadout" becomes "##+ awesome weapons to create total carnage!", "over ## mind boggling planets to conquer/save", etc.

Fourth point is that you need to drive customers to the page and ask them to act. Don't know where your target audience lurks on the internet, but find them and draw them in. You may need a hook like 100 free upgrade points for every beta tester joining in X month, but I am sure you can google marketing promotion strategies for games.

Finally, pimp up your video. Start with big selling points, wow them with exciting visuals that sell the game at its best. It seems to start slow and get slower.

As the saying goes: sell the sizzle, not the sausage!

Crawdad likes this.
  7. Crawdad

Crawdad

All good points. I like that "sell the sizzle, not the sausage". Yeah, now that you mention it, it is all a bit bland. The video was my very first crack at making anything like that, and I was super proud when I first made it, but now it seems a bit meh. Gonna have to go back a give it a bit more sizzle.

I'm always a bit leery about referencing other games outright in a description, but I get your point. There's no quicker way to describe a game's positive points than to compare it to a similar game people are familiar with. I'm gonna chew on that one.

I am actively trying to find ways to draw in traffic outside of steam, but I'll admit that's a blind spot for me. I don't like spending a lot of time on social media, and I don't much like having to sell myself haha. Guess I'm gonna have to learn some new tricks. I'm hoping once the demo is out it'll be easier to bring traffic in with the promise of free gameplay.

Thanks for the feedback!

8. impheris

impheris

maybe the traile is bad because i saw it and i did not like it try with another song, something more energetic, looks like your game is also a bit casual so maybe the "boss" need to be more "striking"
    Try watching other trailer for similar games with ships in space, some of those top down shoter games with spaceships, idk exactly what it is but it feels a bit boring. Think on this points: Why would anyone wants to play your game? where is the fun on it? what is different?

Crawdad likes this.
  9. Crawdad

Crawdad

General consensus has been that the trailer is bland looking. I definitely plan to circle back on that one once I have time. Thanks for the input!